Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bullet weights

1,218 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tlfw378
ToHntortoFsh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not an avid reloader by any stretch. I tend to find a load that shoots 1/2" at 100 and stop there never to mess w the load again.

I'm curious about bullet weights, specifically why are there some bullets that are 140gr and then the same caliber in 139? It just seems a bit strange to me not to even it out to 140. Further, would that 1 grain make that large of a difference.

If there is some ballistic reason for this I'd love to hear it, if it's just how it is then I'll have to be satisfied w that.
TwoMarksHand
AG
What caliber are you looking at?
Duncan Idaho
Every hobby has things that makes complete rational sense to the fanatics, but doesn't make a lick of difference to anyone else from the casual to the professional

ToHntortoFsh
6.5mm
I shoot a 6.5x55 SE, great groups using 140gr Berger VLD w 43gr of IMR 4350. It's on an old 30-06 700 action. Never seen signs of over pressure and the gun likes fast loads.

Duncan Idaho said:

Every hobby has things that makes complete rational sense to the fanatics, but doesn't make a lick of difference to anyone else from the casual to the professional

I meant to quote the question about caliber. Not sure what happened.
snowaggie
Yes...I'm interested in the physics of this as well. Hope some of the knowledgable re-loaders here will 'weigh' in. I've always wondered at the implications of the differences that exist in, for example, the factory loads that can be had for .30-06, which covers between 150 gr and (I think) as high as 220 gr. Seems like a pretty big spread for a bullet that ostensibly is the same 'size'.
MouthBQ98
AG
Simple. The shape and internal configuration of each design of bullet varies, often considerably in hunting ammunition. They design for particular characteristics and performance, and whatever the final weight is is what it is. I am sure they target a weight range, but the performance of the best design regardless of a grain here or there is what they go with.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I mostly just fish weedless

Ohh...

Oops...
Juicyfan
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

I mostly just fish weedless

Ohh...

Oops...

I thought this was going to be a weedless worm discussion.... Dissappointed.
schmellba99
AG
snowaggie said:

Yes...I'm interested in the physics of this as well. Hope some of the knowledgable re-loaders here will 'weigh' in. I've always wondered at the implications of the differences that exist in, for example, the factory loads that can be had for .30-06, which covers between 150 gr and (I think) as high as 220 gr. Seems like a pretty big spread for a bullet that ostensibly is the same 'size'.

There are significant differences between the geometry of a 150 grain projectile and a 220 grain projectile.

As far as a 139 and 140 grain, likely most of the difference lies within the materials of co struction. How thick the jacket is, hollow base versus flat base, oat tail versus flat base...a bunch of little differences can easily make up a paltry grain in weight.
EskimoJoe
I know a guy who has done extensive load development on his .204. He shoots a 39gr load that touches 5 holes at 300 yards. Its spectacular. He can not get his gun to shoot a 40gr pill. He has tried all different powders, upping and lowering the amount of powder, changing seating depths, etc and still can not get a 40 grain bullet to shoot worth a flip.
dolch
AG
there are many more factors than weight.
it's unusual that 2 different bullets (from different manufacturers) will shoot the same.
you have to consider

shape
center of mass
rifling
propellent
how much propellent
the list goes on.

pandoras box has been breached.

have fun.
schmellba99
AG
EskimoJoe said:

I know a guy who has done extensive load development on his .204. He shoots a 39gr load that touches 5 holes at 300 yards. Its spectacular. He can not get his gun to shoot a 40gr pill. He has tried all different powders, upping and lowering the amount of powder, changing seating depths, etc and still can not get a 40 grain bullet to shoot worth a flip.
Some barrels just don't like certain weights, brands of projectiles, geometry of projectiles or a hundred different factors. Barrels can be very finicky.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
8 grams = 123 grains
9 grams = 139 grains
10 grams = 154 grains

Those weights look familiar? It's a euro thing

edit to add: regarding weights and accuracy/velocity, every bullet is different, shape/bearing surface/sectional density/etc/etc, 2 boat tail spitzer bullets of the same caliber and weight may fly (and more importantly, build pressure) completely different from the exact same rifle. Always work up every change in every load (and rifle!)
tlfw378
AG
I will take ballistic coefficient over weight difference. Not sure which 39g bullet compared to 40g, but I'd venture a guess that the BC isn't as close. The shape of the bullet has more to do with flight then weight. It is true that some barrels like some bullets better then others. Twist rate, grove numbers and dimensions all play a part, so does velocity. Find the bullets your gun likes and you want to shoot and forget all the others.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.