Outdoors
Sponsored by

Driving Os Outdoors

1,760 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedent
Burrus86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
.....or it is most of the time, at least. Supposed to be "is" Outdoors.

Why don't the drivers of slower vehicles pull on to the shoulder to let you pass anymore? If you traveled on any two lane roadways with shoulders, it was common courtesy back in the day. Now people won't do it. When I pull over to let folks tailgating my old ass get around me, they either won't pass or they give you the strangest look when they finally do pass. It's Texas, dammit, use the shoulder of the roadway to allow people to safely pass your slow ass!
jtp01
AG
I traveled from Amarillo to Abilene to Willcox, AZ and back to Amarillo last week. Amarillo to Abilene was the only stretch where folks would move over. Granted, most of the rest of the trip was Interstate, but I still ended up behind some folks who refused to get over.
texags08
AG
Why not just pass them safely in a passing zone? I know it makes it a little safer, but in the hill country you can't really do this because the shoulder can abruptly end and have a guardrail there instead.

The real problem is that people don't know how to drive anymore, and most aren't aware of others around them.

Driving 40 on a FM or RR when the limit is 55 is worse for me because there are very few places to pass.
bam02
AG
Years ago there was a long discussion on here about this. I argued all day that people should pull over to let others pass. I have to say, though, I have found that I almost never do it anymore. Guess I realized it just isn't a good idea.
FSGuide
I live in the burbs northeast of Dallas. I frequently travel back to San Saba & Kingsland to see my family. I see people doing this all the time once I get south of the Glen Rose area. I do it as well. Always have.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's illegal and can be unsafe, crap on the should (car, animal, or just junk).

I drive 5 mph over the limit, if you want to pass me do it when there's is a passing lane. Sorry if that's too much trouble but... eh.

I don't expect people to move to the shoulder when I come up on them, though if they are under 15 mph of the limit I usually expect them to as well.
MouthBQ98
AG
They don't know it is legal in Texas on an improved shoulder. That simple. Yes, it IS legal, on an improved road shoulder.

I will do it if I am towing and going the speed limit or less and conditions permit it to be done safely.

You can also pass on the right on an improved shoulder IF the vehicle in the main lane of traffic is slowing or stopped to make a left, and conditions make it safe to do so.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I always pull over to the shoulder if it's clear that someone wants to pass me, as long as I'm not coming up on a hill. What pisses me off is when they don't wave or flash their back lights.
OnlyForNow
AG
Looked up the real statue...

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.
(b) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the left of the main traveled portion of a divided or limited-access or controlled-access highway if that operation may be done safely, but only:
(1) to slow or stop when the vehicle is disabled and traffic or other circumstances prohibit the safe movement of the vehicle to the shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of the roadway;
(2) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or

You're right!
MouthBQ98
AG
YES. I've read the statute.
MouthBQ98
AG
There's more to it than that. It's discussed in every Texas approved defensive driving course material, too.
ATX_AG_08
AG
When people don't move over I pass them and sarcastically turn on my hazards to say "thank you".
MouthBQ98
AG
You posted the first part of 545.058. The rest of it explains more times it is allowed.
Burrus86
AG
texags08 said:

Why not just pass them safely in a passing zone? I know it makes it a little safer, but in the hill country you can't really do this because the shoulder can abruptly end and have a guardrail there instead.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, but the same thing applies to pulling on to the shoulder: I only do it when it's safe and when I can see for a good distance. I remember when Highway 6 was only two lanes between Waco and Hearne. Folks would use the shoulder all the time to allow people to pass. It was also one of the State's deadliest stretch of roadways because of head-on collisions from folks trying to pass conventionally.
OnlyForNow
AG
Agree thanks a lot google!
texags08
AG
Burrus86 said:

texags08 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, but the same thing applies to pulling on to the shoulder: I only do it when it's safe and when I can see for a good distance. I remember when Highway 6 was only two lanes between Waco and Hearne. Folks would use the shoulder all the time to allow people to pass. It was also one of the State's deadliest stretch of roadways because of head-on collisions from folks trying to pass conventionally.

Again, I agree that it helps make the pass safer, but generally speaking if you can pull over on a shoulder to let someone pass, you are more than likely in an area where it is easy to pass normally.

If I'm willing to pass someone I have already done it before they think of getting on the shoulder.
texags08
AG
The thing that REALLY gets me more than anything is someone driving in the left lane and you come up on them and they don't get over. When they finally do they look at you like you are crazy, and once you pass they get back into the left lane.

It is illegal to drive in the left lane, it is for passing.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I typically don't do it because it ends up throwing rocks into the windshield of the car behind me. If they are tailgating light flasher types, I pull over and let them worry about the rocks.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I see this happen almost every time I drive between College Station and home. Maybe people around you just suck.
redass1876
AG
FSGuide said:

I live in the burbs northeast of Dallas. I frequently travel back to San Saba & Kingsland to see my family. I see people doing this all the time once I get south of the Glen Rose area. I do it as well. Always have.
I drive that same path down to Brownwood and it seems rare to me when someone pulls over. Even when going 55 on the 75 MPH stretches

Mule_lx
AG
I'll move to the shoulder if:

1) I have a good line of sight ahead. Quit being impatient when we are going up a hill. There could be someone changing a tire on the other side.

2) It doesn't have those road texture cut out things. I figure that's just going to wear out a side of tires.

I don't drive on that type road as often as I used to.
aggiedent
AG
I got a rock ding on my truck's windshield from a guy pulling a boat who moved over on the shoulder to let me pass on a rural highway. After that, I was not a fan of it and no longer do it myself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.