Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dream Mountain Elk Rifle

5,798 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TommyGun
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you seeing many 6.5 Creedmoor up there?
PFG
AG
Not gonna knock any of these $4000 custom guns. Rock on.

That said...putting them on the line vs a Tikka might not be good for the ego.

A guy could grab a T3 in any great cal (6.5 creeds new for this year) and have a gun just as accurate as a $4000 custom. Like the previous poster said- dollars spent doesn't mean elk killed.

My go to mountain gun is a Kimber Montana in 270.

If I had $4k, I'd spend $1500 on gun and glass, then the rest on a OTC tag for the next 5 years. Get to know a unit and the elk and go kill one.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Never owned a Tikka, mainly a weatherly guy... is the quality and accuracy that good?

-serious question, by the way.
PFG
AG
Quality is perception. They are a Glock of the rifle world - plastic stock, plastic DBM drop mags, plastic bolt shroud.

But accuracy? Across the board, Tikka's are known for being custom killers.

They won't turn heads in deer camp like a $3500 gun and $2000 scope combo. But I wouldn't want to be that custom gun owner that challenges a Tikka off the bench, assuming similar weight guns.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good to know! Thanks
TommyGun
AG
Deats said:

Are you seeing many 6.5 Creedmoor up there?

I'm in WY and I don't see too many guys trying out newer cartridges. It seems that most people are using your common set-ups like .300 Win Mag, 7 Mag, 30-06, .270, etc. My experience is that there are far more custom shops in Texas along with many people who spend extensive time at the range. As a result, you see more a lot more press about the latest rifle cartridges and ballistics reports. You still have that up here, but it's just a much much smaller group of folks. I would expect that to change as cartridges like the 6.5 CM become more mainstream. My town of Rock Springs just got a new Sportsman's Warehouse late last year, so our local selection of guns & ammo went up exponentially. Before that, we were at the mercy of Walmart and Sports Authority for ammo unless you ordered online or went to Salt Lake City. We're basically highfalutin by Wyoming standards now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.