Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dream Mountain Elk Rifle

5,801 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TommyGun
FrontPorchAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just for conversation. Let's say $4000 all in. What would be you dream light weight elk rifle set up?
Vegas-aggie
AG
Remington 700
300 Win mag
Swarovski 6-18
And it costs about 1/2 of your estimate
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Just for conversation. Let's say $4000 all in. What would be you dream light weight elk rifle set up?

How far do you plan on shooting?
45-70Ag
AG
http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/mark-v/mark-vr-dangerous-game-rifle.html

Some bushnell scope to stay within the budget.
Credible Source
AG
McMillan Rem700 stock.
Stiller Predator Action
Timney calvin trigger
Fluted barrel with muzzle break
scope depending on remaining budget and weight.

Edit: 7mag is what I'd use. Hot freaking round, flat as hell, not as brutal on you as the 300win mag
ConstructionAg01
AG
With a $4k budget you have more than enough for a high-grade factory rifle, but not enough for a custom unless you go with a factory action or buy a used rig.

I'd go with this:
Tikka donor action and trigger
Proof carbon barrel chambered in 28 Nosler
McMillan Gamescout stock
Bushnell 4.5-18x44 LRHS
Credible Source
AG
Good call on the Tikka action!
agingcowboy
AG
Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 CM. So light out of the box it felt like a toy. Even with a Vortex HST 4-16x on it's still light...and under that budget.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
arrow
AG
Drop a Sako Finnlight in a McMillan edge tech stock. Top it with a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44. I'm thinking 7 mag or 30-06.

If I wanted even lighter, I'd look at Cooper's Model 92.
Goose
AG
arrow said:

Drop a Sako Finnlight in a McMillan edge tech stock. Top it with a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44. I'm thinking 7 mag or 30-06.
This, in 300 WSM.
chuckr70
AG
Kimber Mountain Ascent 280 Ackley Improved.
Conquest 3-9
Berger 168 Classic Hunter
54 gr. RL-17
2900 fps
ConstructionAg01
AG
That's a solid response, but the problem is you'd have to decide how to spend the remaining two grand.
agsalaska
AG
A pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 300 H&H. You pick the scope.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
agingcowboy said:

Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 CM. So light out of the box it felt like a toy. Even with a Vortex HST 4-16x on it's still light...and under that budget.

Does anyone on here have one or has shot one?

The weight is stupid light and every caliber coming from the factory with a muzzle brake makes me think this is not a very fun gun to shoot. But easily hauled around the mountain.
agingcowboy
AG
Mine has a brake which helps, but it's not bad to shoot. I can generally watch my shots hit. Unlike my 300 wm that knocks me off my target picture even braked.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ought1ag
AG
if you think you will be shooting long range i recommend the following

Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 Rifle Scope

http://www.huskemaw.com/products.html
Credible Source
AG
Second time this week I've heard this. I'm currently building my dream Elk rifle, and the guy building did a 180 recently and is all in on the Huskemaw.
ought1ag
AG
Carl Hungus said:

Second time this week I've heard this. I'm currently building my dream Elk rifle, and the guy building did a 180 recently and is all in on the Huskemaw.
my buddy has one on his 300 and 600-700 yard shots are no problem.
wareagle044
I'll take my .300 win mag Rem700 rebarrled by Horizon Firearms -- it'll definitely reach out and touch something. Completely outfitted falls just under your budget number.

Only thing I may update is the trigger and possibly scope, otherwise it sits just about perfect for me.

Ask me again when Horizon finishes my 6.5 Creedmoor on their Krux back country stock, but that one won't hit the $4000 budget -- but I'm sure it'll be my new favorite.

BradMtn346
My dream elk rifle is the one I could consistently hit an elk's vitals (think pie plate) out to 400 yards. That is what you need. You don't have it if you don't practice with it out to that range. A .243 is super on elk placed right. A 300 super mag kiss my ass large ass bullet doesn't mean crap if you can hit it right and I have to try to track it through the neighbors.
BradMtn346
Sorry for the rant. Whatever you can shoot well is the best elk rifle.
FrontPorchAg
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Mtn_Guide said:

How far do you plan on shooting?
I think I would like to get out to 500 yards consistently.

Right now I have:
Tikka t3x in .300wsm
Leopold VX 4.5-14
Harris Ultralight Bipod

It's actually a pretty good setup but I'd like to go a little lighter weight and I'm really not a fan of Tikka's stocks.
FrontPorchAg
BradMtn346 said:

My dream elk rifle is the one I could consistently hit an elk's vitals (think pie plate) out to 400 yards. That is what you need. You don't have it if you don't practice with it out to that range. A .243 is super on elk placed right. A 300 super mag kiss my ass large ass bullet doesn't mean crap if you can hit it right and I have to try to track it through the neighbors.
Obviously. My current accuracy isn't that much of a problem. I'm MOA at 400. I think I could do a little better but really looking for something lighter weight.
Complaint Investigator
AG
I've got it.

Horizon Firearms 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded and spiral fluted barrel, etc. hydrodipped in Kryptek Typhon.

Horus Vision HDMR 3.5-21 x 50

It's going mule deer hunting with me in NM this fall.
AggiePetro07
AG
The one I have is good enough...

Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Win Mag
McMillan Sako Classic with Edge Fill
Talley Lightweights
Leica 2.5-10x42 ER

180 gr. Barnes TTSX at approximately 3,050 fps.

8# 4oz all up, IIRC.
Greenchiles
AG
IMO get what fits your type of hunting. Hiking, horseback, truck trolling...other? All the calibers listed above are plenty capable. I use a mark v 300 wby mag with a 3-9 wby scope and have taken Elk from 100 - 500 yrds. In your shoes I'd be inclined to find something with a 20" barrel w/5rd mag (we group hunt if they're scarce) and in a caliber found in most stores (bc **** happens).
Credible Source
AG
First picture of mine has arrived. Still needs checkering and at least a weeks worth of finish on the walnut, but the basics are there. Shooting it tomorrow and making final adjustments/customizations. I'm like a school girl at a Bieber concert.

Can't figure out how to get the picture to load. Pocketgur disappeared from iOS so I'm using the full version that doesn't seem to be working. Anyone know what's up?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Credible Source
AG
Thank you!
polksalet12345
A-Square 338 Excalibur

That's bigly Dream rifle.
ursusguy
AG
I was really close to buying a Tikka in a .300 WSM.

But my uncle offered up his Weatherby in .270 WSM. Finding an ammo combo I liked sorta sucked (ie expensive). Once I found an elk appropriate round it liked, it was nicer than anything I own. I had no problems hauling that Weatherby all over the place. It is now my "dream" to basically copy that rifle....and should be pretty doable.
BradMtn346
Sorry. I deal with some guys that think dollars spent means elk killed, and I hate trailing wounded elk, which is what they do best. It is one of my sore spots.

I've got a now 13 year old girl, daughter of a friend, that I have taken elk hunting 2 years now, and she has killed everything she has ever shot at with her 243.
BradMtn346
A real elk rifle must.

Be able to buy some shells for it at Joe's 6pack and sporting goods in BFE Colorado or Wyoming.

Sure, you'll never forget your shells. Or run out. Or grab the wrong box (me). Until you do. It is at this moment you will appreciate having any caliber you can find shells for in the average western states convenience store.
aggielostinETX
AG
https://www.facebook.com/alamoprecisionrifles/posts/1376804362358899

Something like this.
shaynew1
AG
None of you guys want to hunt elk in September?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.