Outdoors
Sponsored by

What game camera do you recommend?

1,446 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And are there any you don't recommend?
chris1515
AG
At Christmas I bought a Stealthcam from Sams Club for my uncle, it was around $60-80.
He bought me a more expensive model from WalMart, also a Stealthcam.

They both have a dial for several quick setting modes that are very easy to use. The AA batteries were out in the field for 3.5 months and were still at 80% capacity when I took them up.

As for picture quality, the more expensive camera is much better.

I wish I could tell you the model numbers, but I don't have them.
Sean98
AG
What price range? What purpose (ie, on a feeder, or more of a true trail type setting)? How often will you be checking it?
agcrock2005
AG
Sean98 said:

What price range? What purpose (ie, on a feeder, or more of a true trail type setting)? How often will you be checking it?
Sorry. Should have been more specific. For deer lease (on a feeder) that I'll go to 4 times between Oct and March probably.Thanks.
BradMtn346
My stealth cameras have done right by me. There is a learning curve, or was for me, on how to set it up to get the pictures you want. I've got mine figured out pretty well.
Sean98
AG
On a feeder means that you don't need to worry about trigger time, but battery life will be a big issue. If you're going to be there every 4-6 weeks though just about any major brand AA battery camera should get you what you want. I still believe $100-150 is the sweet spot for good cameras. Less than that and the cameras will have real limitations. $200 and above your paying for bells and whistles you really don't need. I like a AA battery camera that takes 8mp photos, 1-3 photo bursts, video options, trigger speed at or under 1 second. The following cameras for that bill well:

Browning Strike Force
Covert MP8
Bushnell Trophy Cam
AggieChemist
AG
I bought a ****load of AA moultrie cams on clearance after deer season last year for $59. Think I bought six.
Sean98
AG
AggieChemist said:

I bought a ****load of AA moultrie cams on clearance after deer season last year for $59. Think I bought six.
Laugh/Cry at thinking 6 cameras is a ****load...
AggieChemist
AG
I have others. These are just the new ones.
jmazz
AG
I picked up a Stealth Cam PX22 from Academy for $70 last November. I've changed the batteries once since then (8 AA's). It's up full time at a small place I have. It has the 'EZ Dial' someone mentioned above where you can just turn to one of the pre-set functions (I keep it on 3 photo burst) and leave it. Pictures are, of course, date and time stamped and also show the moon phase. Other EZ Dial options are 1 image at a time instead of 3 or a 10 second video instead of still picture(s). Then there's a custom option that I guess you can do a # of other things with. No complaints from me but I also don't have much to compare it to.

*Edited to add...it does fog up from time to time and I assume that's due to morning mist/moisture/humid/sticky weather. Not sure if more expensive game cameras do that too...perhaps someone else can chime in on that.
Sean98
AG
I have 5 or 6 Stealthcams now as well, and they are a decent value option if you catch them on clearance. Good battery life, dependable trigger times. Where they fall below most cameras is on picture quality and nighttime IR coverage. Almost all cameras today have acceptable daytime photos, at night the difference really come through. They are generally not a camera I would recommend for most purposes, but a viable sub-$100 (or even sub $50) option. Similar to Wild Game Innovations (WGI) in that sense.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for the responses.
jmazz
AG
Here's a few night samples...

jmazz
AG
One more b/c this is a cool picture...
redass1876
AG
I have 5 browning strike forces running for 18 months now and only 1 had an issue (ended up going into burst picture mode somehow... possibly the rib).

redass1876
AG
[url=.html][/url]

[url=.html][/url]
redass1876
AG
and daytime

[url=.html][/url]
Sean98
AG
You need to host the photos on a photo site first. Looks like you tried to post direct from Google Photos or something.
redass1876
AG
They didn't show up? They are on my screen. I'll host elsewhere i guess

edit: does it work now?
Sean98
AG
Working after the edits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.