Outdoors
Sponsored by

Colorado Springs Area Fly Fishing

901 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jimbo9821
jimbo9821
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have recommendations for shops, rivers, and guide service for the Colorado Springs area? Going in late June. Will have 1.5 days of fishing, .5 day will be with the wife.

Thanks!
hillcountryag86
AG
It may be a bit of a drive, but look into fishing the South Platte River, especially at Deckers. Have to drive NW out of CS to Woodland Park and then take 67 North. South Platte is a legendary river for fishing, although I don't know what it's like currently. Several sites if Googling Deckers or South Platte fishing.

The drive and the river are very beautiful.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Go to the Angler's Covey fly shop in the Springs and they'll get you lined out for a guide, gear, etc.
burtonsnow
AG
Below the dam in eleven mile Canyon has good fly fishing. My dad and I go there fairly often, and it's a nice area to spend the night.
BradMtn346
Anywhere on the South Platte can be good and you have a lot of tailwater options. The Arkansas can be really good that time of the year if it isn't blown out by run off.
OilManAg91
AG
Go with Angler's Covey Fly Shop. I fished Eleven Mile Canyon with them a few years ago in mid July and we killed it. Great guide and good shop. They will put you on fish.
Sean98
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Go to the Angler's Covey fly shop in the Springs and they'll get you lined out for a guide, gear, etc.
AggieChemist
AG
jimbo9821 said:

Going in late June. Will have 1.5 days of fishing, .5 day will be with the wife.
Sounds like your priorities are out of whack. Can't you just have a nice dinner with your wife, after dark, on the final day?
Sean98
AG
FWIW, I went over my birthday last year (June 29) and the water was still very high from runoff. I chose to get off the beaten path and fish some smaller streams to avoid people (and let my dogs run) but that would take you further West than you'd want to go. I'm sure you could still accomplish the same closer to town.

Anglers Covey "Where to Fish" Link

They have daily water level info and fishing reports. Service can be a little snooty, but they know their stuff.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
nm
BEaggie08
AG
I lived there for about 3 years. Always fished below the dam in eleven mile Canyon, as mentioned earlier in the thread. My dad and I used to go there fairly often.
aggiepublius
AG
Watching.

And anybody have suggestions for the Ft. Collins area?
Aggieangler93
AG
Fished the South Platte near Decker's late last fall, and loved it. I am hoping to get back there soon. Also rafted the Royal Gourge on the Arkansas, which was awesome. I would second the recommendations to flyfish either one.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Sean98
AG
Good fishing. VERY crowded. Cost $ (not a lot) to get on the water. For me it was too crowded last year.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Fished deckers last week. Takes about an hour and a half with all the winding roads. There's a fly shop in the town as well, right in the river. Think it's called Flies & Lies.

Lots of snow this year, and everyone is expecting a long runoff.

For Ft. Collins, the Cache la Poudre is right there. Can fish it in town too.
jimbo9821
AG
Thanks for all the input. I have fished the South Platte several times, but always the dream stream section between the two reservoirs. Sounds like 11 mile canyon is worth checking out if water levels cooperate.

Appreciate it all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.