Outdoors
Sponsored by

‘Don’t Mess With Texas!’ No-License Gun Carry Approved By House – A TEXAS FIRST

4,423 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Snow Monkey Ambassador
DrSocrates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What say you Outdoor board?

'Don't Mess With Texas!' No-License Gun Carry Approved By House A TEXAS FIRST
45-70Ag
AG
What are the chances of this actually making it out of the senate?
TwoMarksHand
BanderaAg956
I've gone through the process back in 2007 and it wasn't that tough. Therefore, I have no problem with a requirement to prove capability and knowledge.

I'd like to see the few lowered but that is it!

Don't make it legal for the thugs and crooks to be armed (make them break the laws)!
BenderRodriguez
AG
If West Virginia and Arkansas can handle freedom, surely Texas can too.
aggiesq
AG
i shouldnt have to pass a test or pay a fee to exercise a fundamental right.

SteveBott
AG
No message

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2849907
txyaloo
AG
DrSocrates said:

What say you Outdoor board?

'Don't Mess With Texas!' No-License Gun Carry Approved By House A TEXAS FIRST
It hasn't been approved by the House. It was passed out of the public safety committee...

Still has to get through the Calendars Committee before it can hit the floor for a vote. There is no Senate companion bill so it'll have to make it through the Senate. Then there will have to be a conference committee to iron out the differences. All of this has to be done by May 29. This bill still has a very long road ahead.

I still don't think it'll make it out of Calendars to the floor for a vote, but who knows at this point.
BCO07
AG
Agree that it'll never be heard from again, but at least few reps will be able to campaign on being pro gun
SteveBott
AG
Strauss my surprise some folks on this red meat issue and schedules this on Calanders committee. He has put down a bunch of social bills. Who knows

Senate would be all over it if it gets there
Hoss
AG
Quote:

Churches and places of worship would be removed as prohibited places to carry a gun, although the sites could post signs banning guns if desired.

Whoever wrote the bill apparently doesn't realize this is already the case.
Puryear Playboy
AG
drevans956 said:

I've gone through the process back in 2007 and it wasn't that tough. Therefore, I have no problem with a requirement to prove capability and knowledge.

I'd like to see the few lowered but that is it!

Don't make it legal for the thugs and crooks to be armed (make them break the laws)!

I agree. The same requirements and restrictions should apply that control free speech and voting. Both of which have much more immediate, and long lasting effects.
BCO07
AG
The people that can't carry now won't be able to carry under the new law. It just makes it easier for law abiding citizens to do so and takes back some liberty that was taken
76Ag
AG
Apparently the right to free speech is in serious peril....
Dr. Venkman
AG
I hope this passes. I never carry and don't have a license. A few nights ago I needed to take some stuff to a storage unit in a sketchy part of town. Had to decide whether to break the law or fear for my safety.
StringerBell
AG
i need to get my CHL

before shelling out the money and going through the course should i wait to see what happens with this?
SteveBott
AG
I would wait. Odds are long on this but you never know
The Wonderer
AG
StringerBell said:

i need to get my CHL

before shelling out the money and going through the course should i wait to see what happens with this?
The course has other benefits than just as a requirement for teh LTC.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this passing this go 'round. May have a good shot in 2019.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The Wonderer said:

The course has other benefits than just as a requirement for teh LTC.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this passing this go 'round. May have a good shot in 2019.
Agreed, it is good to learn some more regarding use of force laws, etc in Texas.

I'd take it anyway.

SunrayAg
AG
Getting the LTC was not difficult.

If this passes, I think the only result will be 30.06 and 30.07 signs will skyrocket, as more businesses get nervous about the "general public" carrying instead of trained, background checked, license holders. It will be a net negative.
ironmanag
AG
I actually prefer it not pass. I want responsibility with my freedom.
V8Aggie
AG
SunrayAg said:

If this passes, I think the only result will be 30.06 and 30.07 signs will skyrocket, as more businesses get nervous about the "general public" carrying instead of trained, background checked, license holders. It will be a net negative.
This.
BCO07
AG
ironmanag said:

Sounds like you want less freedom
The Wonderer
AG
ironmanag said:

Security and freedom are inversely proportional.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I like how it is HB 1911.
BenderRodriguez
AG
ironmanag said:

You seem to confuse legislation and laws with responsibility.

Responsibility is an individual matter that no amount of laws will fix.

The beautiful thing about our federal system is we can see how other states do things and whether or not following their lead is a good idea. Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming all have some form of constitutional carry, some for decades and some for only a few years. In not a single one of those states has permitless carry been an issue.

My question for someone like you would be what quality do the citizens of those states have that enables them to be responsible enough to handle constitutional carry without government interference that you're convinced Texans lack?

HumbleAg04
AG
Had my LTC, it expired around the same time my 2nd kid was born. The class was still 8 hours + shooting since I didn't renew for the next year between two kids and work.... So now I'm waiting for HB1911 to pass or die before I schedule a course.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
SunrayAg said:

QFT
WildcatAg
AG
StringerBell said:

i need to get my CHL

I would go ahead and get the "traditional" CHL because there is not going to be reciprocity with any other state for unlicensed carriers, at least any time soon.

Additionally, I found the legal portions of the CHL training informative and useful.
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

I hope this passes. I never carry and don't have a license. A few nights ago I needed to take some stuff to a storage unit in a sketchy part of town. Had to decide whether to break the law or fear for my safety.

Why not take a gun with you in your car and keep it concealed but easy to reach? As long as it's in there and not on your person while walking around, you're not breaking the law.
The Original AG 76
AG
WAAAAY to late for the Senate. This is a game that both houses play. Once the leadership knows that its too late for some " hot button" issue to make it thru the other body they allow a bill to suddenly fly thru their body knowing damn well that it will die on the other side of the building. After the session this allows Mr Member to go home and face the rabble all full of piss and vinegar telling em far and wide that " WE got ( fill in the hot button) thru..its not MY fault that it didnt get thru the blah blah...now..write me a nice check , make sure no one primaries me, vote for me again ...and I PROMISE I'll work like hell to get...blah blah.... next time...
Happens every session.
The Wonderer
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

WAAAAY to late for the Senate. This is a game that both houses play. Once the leadership knows that its too late for some " hot button" issue to make it thru the other body they allow a bill to suddenly fly thru their body knowing damn well that it will die on the other side of the building. After the session this allows Mr Member to go home and face the rabble all full of piss and vinegar telling em far and wide that " WE got ( fill in the hot button) thru..its not MY fault that it didnt get thru the blah blah...now..write me a nice check , make sure no one primaries me, vote for me again ...and I PROMISE I'll work like hell to get...blah blah.... next time...
Happens every session.
QFT

The Senate isn't fast tracking this through with Abbott clamoring about school finance and property tax reduction.
96AustinAg
AG
SunrayAg said:

That's an interesting point. I think that Open Carry passing has been a net negative.
schmellba99
AG
SunrayAg said:

Like with the OC, you'll see an initial result of signage. But that is going to be a short term and honestly low pain threshold issue to deal with. If your concern is the short term here and now and you don't have the ability to look long term, you'll react the way you are now.

If you will look at the long term, you'll realize that this will have almost no noticeable effect and will ultimately be a good thing because what it will do is de-sensitize Joe Q. Public to firearms. Within a relatively short time frame, most people become so accustomed to something that they no longer pay much mind to it. Take, for example, smoking bans. Almost universally, smoking bans were hotly debated subjects that most people were not huge proponents of. Once they got passed, however, the vast majority of people become so used to no smoking in places that it becomes a novelty when you can smoke in a bar or restaruant - and most people begin to avoid places that you can after time. Exposure (best word I can think of) to firearms in public is much the same way - after just a few months the vast majority of people get to where they don't notice or don't react to somebody that may be carrying. Signs don't get replaced or get flat out removed when the fear wears off.

As stated - a whole lot of other places already have no permit carrying. Seems to work out well for them. Just because Texas has done something a particular way since the Civil War does not equate to that way being right.
txyaloo
AG
Other states don't have 30.06/07 signs... That's the problem.

The original version of HB 1911 included language for 30.08 banning unlicensed carry. The committee substitute struck that language and amended 30.06/07 to now include unlicensed carry.

If you think there won't be additional 30.06/07 signs limiting where a licensed individual can carry, you are delusional.

I have no issues with unlicensed carry in Texas if the legislature does it right with a 30.08 or some other signage. But making 06/07 also apply to unlicensed is going to royally **** LTC holders. That's effectively a poison pill for the bill
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.