Outdoors
Sponsored by

Corpus Shallow Sport owners tournament - newb fishing geer and jib recs

1,085 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lance in Round Mountain
NYAG08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, so experienced freshwater bass/trout (reel and fly) fisherman. Been offshore deep water plenty of times, mostly guided though. But little to no shallow saltwater exp. Going to Corpus with a buddy to fish this tournament on his shallow water, so targets are reds, trout, etc.

Given all my gear is freshwater except for a couple basic saltwater pier poles, looking for recs on a couple basic rigs (rod, real, line, leaders, jigs) so I don't look so green to shallow saltwater. Something I can swing by an Academy and grab without breaking the bank (as I don't foresee getting heavy into saltwater flats fishing anytime soon).

Jig recs from someone else going (have not google authenticity):

Super Spook Jr. bone white
Bass Assassin - 4 inch paddle tails: bone diamond, fried chicken, chicken on chain and electric shad.
Gulp: nuclear chicken, new penny or blue pepper neon.

TIA!
CharlieBrown17
AG
You could also pick up some spoons to throw.

I use em for bass as well and have good luck so its not just spending $ on lures for a one time thing.
meggy09
AG
Search www.2coolfishing.com for all your answers.
NYAG08
Great site meggy, thanks!

Pretty much narrowed down to some combination or the below based on those forums.

Rods:
Shimano sedona set up on a Academy 7' H20 rod with the micro guides
Penn battle combo with 7'rod for around $130
Penn Battle 2 - 3000 with 10 # Nanofil (Berkley line)
Lews Mach 1 spinning combos ($90)

Reels:
Cheap reel: shimano sienna $30
Mid range: penn battle $100
Battle II 2000 then American Legacy Fishing has it at $80 plus shipping ($12) (Amazon.com has the same for $75 shipped) (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/penn-battle-ii-7-ml-saltwater-spinning-rod-and-3000-reel-combo#repChildCatid=1349069)

Lew's lite.
7ft medium lite for in the boat.
6ft medium for wade fishing.
Mono backing, crazy Alberto knot, 30# braid, crazy Alberto knot, 20# fluoro leader
FishingAggie
NYAG08 said:

Great site meggy, thanks!

Pretty much narrowed down to some combination or the below based on those forums.

Rods:
Shimano sedona set up on a Academy 7' H20 rod with the micro guides
Penn battle combo with 7'rod for around $130
Penn Battle 2 - 3000 with 10 # Nanofil (Berkley line)
Lews Mach 1 spinning combos ($90)

Reels:
Cheap reel: shimano sienna $30
Mid range: penn battle $100
Battle II 2000 then American Legacy Fishing has it at $80 plus shipping ($12) (Amazon.com has the same for $75 shipped) (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/penn-battle-ii-7-ml-saltwater-spinning-rod-and-3000-reel-combo#repChildCatid=1349069)

Lew's lite.
7ft medium lite for in the boat.
6ft medium for wade fishing.
Mono backing, crazy Alberto knot, 30# braid, crazy Alberto knot, 20# fluoro leader

Keep your receipt on the academy rod. Lol

It's their house brand rod. No one else has it. Lifetime warranty. Not! Better have the receipt. I broke one a month ago. Took it back and they wouldn't replace it without the receipt. I explained it was their rod and honestly when I bought it they told me it was free replacement no questions asked.

I bought four because of that. Finally a manager explained that they change models all the time and mine was no longer carried. ( it was only a few months old ). The new models were more expensive and I needed to pay the difference. What a crock.

I found the receipt and instead of a rod I got a gift card. Returned all their rods. Bought shoes as that's about all they seem to want to sell and bought quality rods elsewhere. These were $80-$100 rods. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either.

Hijacked the thread. I'm sorry. I use to love academy. Im finished. They were bought out by a large corporation. Not the same. Their just a big dick's now

Salt of the water
AG
Penn battle 2500 at Academy. Use the Amazon price to get academy to price match with an extra 5% off.

Fill it up with 15 or 20 lb power pro line. 20 lb flouro for leaders. I like to join my line to leader with a tiny spro swivel.

Find a medium or medium light all star or h20 rod (7ft). They should have some for around $50.

Your buddy can probably cover you on lures unless you just really want to get your own.
NYAG08
Thanks for the recs folks. Thought I would summarize intended shopping list and setup gathered (along with basic price points):

Academy:

Rods: Lews mach 1 spinning combo and Penn battle || combo 3000 ~$250
Boots: Magellan wading ~$25
Line spooling: PowerPro mono 20lb backing ~50yards, spool PowerPro braided 20lb, 20lb flouro leader joined with a tiny spro swivel (leader 3-4ft)

Altogether setup ~$300
Salt of the water
AG
20 lb mono backing behind the power pro will eat up quite a bit of your spool capacity and isn't really necessary.

On the leader, 18" is plenty of flouro and easier to cast than a 3' leader. Those small spro swivels usually won't tear up your guides but I still try to not reel the swivel into the guides.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
You can also tie your flouro line directly to your braided line. Avoids needing a swivel. One knot rather than two and better lure action. animatedknots.com

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.