Outdoors
Sponsored by

weather stations??

1,435 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Naveronski
sellthefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have experience with personal weather stations? I need localized rainfall totals. I know Weather Underground has registered stations but doesn't the NOAA or NWS have some as well. I can't seem to find them on their websites. Any additional info will be helpful. Thanks.
CharlieBrown17
AG
What kind of breakdown are you looking for exactly?

You can pull from the NOAA weather stations here.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/
ought1ag
AG
i browsed around too and couldn't find rainfall totals. I have referenced the "historical" totals on the weather channels webpage and compared it to actuals......i didnt find them very accurate(at least for my area around three rivers)
metrag06
AG
Are you looking to purchase your own or just find nearby stations?

NOAA/NWS have co-op observers in many locations - if you can give us an idea of whereabouts you're looking for data I can post some links, NCEI (NCDC) site isn't the easiest to use, the local office pages are usually better.

Another good option to find rainfall data is to look at CoCoRaHS. You can search by state/county and there are a surprising number of folks who participate.
jtp01
AG
I have a weather station at my house. My weather data is never more than 30 minutes old.

I sell the equipment so I am biased, but there is tremendous variance between my house and the airport where the local weather is reported from.
dave99ag
AG
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless) connected to Wunderground. It measures rain, wind, humidity in near real-time. Converted an old iPad to run Wunderstation because I wasn't a fan of the Davis unit. Only issue I've had is to clean out the rain bucket from time to time due to debris.

BrazosBull
AG
Check out the " Rain Gauge" app .....
CrossTimbersW
AG
Try the FarmLogs app if you're interested in a particular area. I have my lease places and job sites all designated as "fields" so i can get a general idea of how much rainfall they may have received. Sometimes it's dead on with my rain gauges and sometimes it's off a couple tenths but generally speaking the app is pretty helpful.

It has some other useful functions that I've started using when I spray or fertilize my actually fields among other things.
plowboy1065
S
The reviews on that one do not look good
eric76
AG
My younger brother has one, but access over the internet didn't last but a few months. At about $500 for the weather station, that wasn't a good deal. It did last for a year or two in the house.

He blamed me for it not working, but I could not have done what he thinks that I did -- change the IP address so that the data couldn't get out. It was going out through an Apple Airport and as far as I know, those are difficult to configure, if it is possible at all, with a Mac which I do not have. The Internet data quit in the middle of the night during a storm.
Purple Parrot
AgySkeet06
AG
I run an ag weather network and work with anything from Accurite Stations to full blown Campbell Scientific ET Stations.

If you want something for just back yard fun. A davis or accurite is what you want. you can find good deals on amazon for about $100 sometimes.
I like this one for a backyard station.... https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B00T0K8MN8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1493306721&sr=8-4&keywords=accurite+wireless+weather+station
Naveronski
AG
sellthefarm said:

I know Weather Underground has registered stations but doesn't the NOAA or NWS have some as well. I can't seem to find them on their websites. Any additional info will be helpful. Thanks.

You need to be a Weather Underground member to get full access. Check their wiki for more information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.