Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Avoidance Training

2,935 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fatvis
Fatvis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with or thoughts on snake avoidance training for your pup? Do people still consider it effective? I remember taking our lab out to one when I was a kid, and she would run like a scalded ape every time a cicada buzzed that summer. I haven't seen one recently in West Texas and don't really want to travel to central TX for a clinic, but might be willing to.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
A guy in my office takes his dog to the training. He swears by the training. I've never taken my dog to be trained. She gets the rattlesnake shot from the Vet.
fishag04
AG
Absolutely 100% effective. My GSPs avoid them at all cost. I took them 2-3 years ago and one hit with the shock collar was enough. I took them back last year and they wouldn't get within 20 yards of the things. Trainer finally picked up a snake and threw it at them. I thought my dogs were going to have heart attacks they freaked out so much. I let them ride in the cab of the truck and on the way home they refused to make eye contact with me. It was hilarious.

See my post from last year on my dogs encounter while hunting.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2728027
Serious Lee
always wondered how this would work with some of the more quarry-driven breeds. like if you could in fact break them from pursuing snakes, would it completely destroy their instinct to hunt & bay all animals or do they actually distinguish serpents from other game?
SanAntoneAg
AG
We've taken dogs to have this done with a lady in Schertz (outside of SA). Seems to work. Don't take the kids as each dog reacts differently to the shock. Some freak out.
oneeyedag
Lose A Few said:

A guy in my office takes his dog to the training. He swears by the training. I've never taken my dog to be trained. She gets the rattlesnake shot from the Vet.

I suppose the rattlesnake vaccine would work well for copperheads too, both hemotoxic as we're covered in copperheads.

What's the cost
reddog90
AG
I use snake breaker. He should have a schedule on his website. Price depends on the kennel you go to. It definitely works but imo not something you need to do annually for the life of the dog.
Fatvis
AG
Thanks, that is one of the guys I have found. I may end up heading down to one of his in august if I can't find one closer to home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.