Outdoors
Sponsored by

Growing pains in automated agriculture

1,570 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EFE
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like McCain's Foods accidentally shredded up some golf balls and put them in their hash browns.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/24/15413066/hashbrown-hash-brown-recall-golf-balls-mccain-foods-usa-fda-cdc

Something tells me that the genesis of this is some farmer drinking whiskey and launching used golf balls into his potato field with a vendor.
FinanceWildcat
I'll admit that I'm guilty of hitting golf balls into the wheat field behind my house from time to time, and I may or may not have accidentally lost a few when I go to retrieve them, but you'd think that somewhere in the sorting process a golf ball would have been caught.
MouthBQ98
AG
Made it through the rock separator.
CanyonAg77
AG
I used to rent a farm next to a golf course. Took a lot of golf balls home for the kids to play with.
OnlyForNow
AG
You'd think, but I think sorting is typically done automatically and it's done on visual cues. White spheres the same size as golf balls aren't what it is looking for (if a potato is somehow deskinned it'll look sort of like this) so it passes muster.
BusterAg
AG
I just thought it was funny and indicative of the progress down the automation route Ag is going.
MouthBQ98
AG
Rocks sink fast, potatoes float or sink more slowly, like golf balls.
SunrayAg
AG
My golf balls always sink really quickly.
AgySkeet06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I used to rent a farm next to a golf course. Took a lot of golf balls home for the kids to play with.
Dad use to own a pasture along a golf course. I never had to buy golf balls in high school.
V8Aggie
AG
SunrayAg said:

My golf balls always sink really quickly.
x1000000
EFE
AG
We are heavily automated, but still have human graders and QC stations throughout the plant to make sure something like that doesn't happen. Methinks their HACCP plan needs some looking into.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.