Outdoors
Sponsored by

$370 AR?

3,211 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couple one those $50 lowers you have stashed in your safe, with this PSA offer... Carbine kit $320 shipped

Barrel: This 416R Stainless Steel barrel is chambered in 5.56 NATO with a 1:7" twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. It is finished off with classic mid-length handguards, an F-marked Front Sight Base, and an A2 Flash Hider.
Upper: The forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.
Bolt Carrier Group: Carpenter 158 steel bolt, phosphate coated. Full auto profile 8620 carrier, chrome lined and Phosphate coated
Chrome lined gas key fastened with grade 8 bolts and staked.

Palmetto State Armory Freedom Lower Build Kit - 506532
Includes Classic M4-Style Stock, A2 Pistol grip, Classic Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter 6-position buffer tube assembly. Everything you need to finish your stripped lower.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MROD92
That looks pretty incredible for a $370 trunk monkey
BreNayPop
AG
Its a great start. Should shoot great and be lots of fun.
killbutchereat
Thanks for the heads up, picked one up. Will be my first AR and first build.
3rdGenAg05
AG
I'm not against a budget build and I don't keep an AR in my vehicle, but if the thought is that gun will potentially used to save you/your family's life, is the cheapest AR money can buy your best bet?
Opinions vary, but my "trunk monkey" would be my best AR, if I ever went that route.
AgLA06
AG
Any reason to believe this AR won't function properly?

I mean I'd love a Rolex, but a Timex will keep time as well.
The Wonderer
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

I'm not against a budget build and I don't keep an AR in my vehicle, but if the thought is that gun will potentially used to save you/your family's life, is the cheapest AR money can buy your best bet?
Opinions vary, but my "trunk monkey" would be my best AR, if I ever went that route.
If it shoots, it's better than nothing and I'm not storing a $2000+ AR in my truck for daily duty in the middle of Houston.
RM1993
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

If the $370 AR is your only AR, then it is your best AR by default.

Seriously though, if it reliably goes bang when you pull the trigger then what difference would the price tag make?
DatTallArchitect
AG
If you are protecting your family, you aren't making a 400 yard shot. Pretty sure it will be accurate enough.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Great points all around, save the watch comment-no one's life depends on their watch (I'm wearing a 9 y/o Casio). I wouldn't keep a $2k AR in my vehicle either, so maybe something in between.
If I knew a $370 AR would fire every time, I'd have no issue with it. All guns aren't created equal, so my opinion is that there are better options from a reliability standpoint.
Didn't mean to start a debate though...like I mentioned, just offering another opinion.
drummer0415
AG
As creator of the trunk monkey moniker, I approve this post.
The Wonderer
AG
PSA builds, while not the highest quality comparable to DD and BCM and the like, are shooters with above average reliability when assembled properly. They don't have the following they do because they are crap.
aggiepublius
AG
AgLA06 said:

But one can use a Rolex like currency in many places. A Timex or a 9yo Casio, not so much.
AgLA06
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

Great points all around, save the watch comment-no one's life depends on their watch (I'm wearing a 9 y/o Casio). I wouldn't keep a $2k AR in my vehicle either, so maybe something in between.
If I knew a $370 AR would fire every time, I'd have no issue with it. All guns aren't created equal, so my opinion is that there are better options from a reliability standpoint.
Didn't mean to start a debate though...like I mentioned, just offering another opinion.

You're suggesting brand name instead of reliability and function is more important.

The watch analogy was spot on. Reliability is all that matters in this case. You need it to function when it matters, not make your friends blush to stroke your ego. Neither the bad guy nor the mortician is going to care what brand was used.

That's why I asked if you had any supported reason as to why this firearm wouldn't do it's job. And you still haven't answered.
AgLA06
AG
aggiepublius said:

AgLA06 said:

But one can use a Rolex like currency in many places. A Timex or a 9yo Casio, not so much.

If you can use currency to tell time or stop a threat, sign me up.
aggiepublius
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggiepublius said:

AgLA06 said:

Just saying, the watch analogy works on several levels. Like firearms, fine timepieces can become assets that can be used in more than one way.

And currency will get you the time, hand me $20 bucks and I will tell you the time as exactly as I can. Maybe even in more than one language.

As to a threat... that can play out in a number a different ways. Helps to have currency/rolex and a AR just to be safe on the safe side. Then you can do a cost benefit analysis of whether it is cheaper to buy them off or just shoot them.
RM1993
AG
aggiepublius said:

AgLA06 said:

aggiepublius said:

AgLA06 said:

Just saying, the watch analogy works on several levels. Like firearms, fine timepieces can become assets that can be used in more than one way.

And currency will get you the time, hand me $20 bucks and I will tell you the time as exactly as I can. Maybe even in more than one language.

As to a threat... that can play out in a number a different ways. Helps to have currency/rolex and a AR just to be safe on the safe side. Then you can do a cost benefit analysis of whether it is cheaper to buy them off or just shoot them.
Ammunition is pretty cheap so unless they are getting bought off for like a buck, that analysis only comes to one conclusion....
3rdGenAg05
AG
Oh lord, did I suggest someone get a lawyer after killing three people?!

You seem to infer things different than most...at no time did I say or even suggest that brand names were more important than reliability. I did suggest that reliability was the MOST important factor in this scenario (we actually agree there).

To answer your question directly, I have no direct experience with a PSA build or its reliability, but qa/qc (and marketing) is probably a place where they cut costs.

I don't think you believe that a PSA build is the most reliable AR on the market and if my life depended on telling accurate time, I'd have a Rolex, not a Casio (but it doesn't).
If you trust your life with a PSA AR, that's great for you. I wouldn't. Again, this is my OPINION on an OPINION forum (and it's ok if we disagree).

ETA: if you (or anyone) wants an AR for personal defense and $370 is what you can afford, like the other guy said, this is a great option...certainly better than nothing.
RM1993
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

I don't think you believe that a PSA build is the most reliable AR on the market and if my life depended on telling accurate time, I'd have a Rolex, not a Casio (but it doesn't).

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/5983427/why-a-10-casio-keeps-better-time-than-a-10000-rolex/amp

3rdGenAg05
AG
Lol, I guess I'll keep the Casio. My wife is always looking out for me!!
What does gizmodo say about the PSA builds?!
El Chupacabra
If someone broke into my house and I had to grab an AR, I'd grab my ~$450 PTAC that's been painted with Rustoleum and had thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo run through it without fail over my $2300 LaRue. Why? Because it's had thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo run through it without fail. The LaRue hasn't.
IDAGG
AG
The Wonderer said:

3rdGenAg05 said:

If it shoots, it's better than nothing and I'm not storing a $2000+ AR in my truck for daily duty in the middle of Houston.
Good point. Whatever you do, don't leave a $22K AR in your car. From today's news in Potatoland:
And you have to love the "Knight Vision Goggles."

Quote:

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) Local detectives are trying to track down whomever smashed a window and stole a rifle worth more than $22,000.
Boise CrimeStoppers says on April 23, someone smashed the window to a truck parked at 3500 block of N. Cole Road and grabbed the rifle, scope and case.

Here's the official description: JP Enterprises 6.5 MM Creed More LRP07 rifle which was mounted with a Leopold Mark 6 scope, Knight vision goggles, and more

Of course if this was left in plain sight in his car I am at a loss for words.

http://kboi2.com/news/local/rifle-worth-more-than-22000-stolen-from-truck-along-cole-road
The Wonderer
AG
IDAGG said:

The Wonderer said:

3rdGenAg05 said:

Good point. Whatever you do, don't leave a $22K AR in your car. From today's news in Potatoland:
And you have to love the "Knight Vision Goggles."

Quote:

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) Local detectives are trying to track down whomever smashed a window and stole a rifle worth more than $22,000.
Boise CrimeStoppers says on April 23, someone smashed the window to a truck parked at 3500 block of N. Cole Road and grabbed the rifle, scope and case.

Here's the official description: JP Enterprises 6.5 MM Creed More LRP07 rifle which was mounted with a Leopold Mark 6 scope, Knight vision goggles, and more

Of course if this was left in plain sight in his car I am at a loss for words.

http://kboi2.com/news/local/rifle-worth-more-than-22000-stolen-from-truck-along-cole-road
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.