Outdoors
Sponsored by

Somali pirates chose the wrong ship

7,851 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3rdGenAg05
BlackGoldAg2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The problem I see isn't keeping a steady shot under stress, it's that he set up a shooting position not conducive to engaging an approaching target. And based on the bag setup I'm assuming that wasn't done in the heat of battle but at a time where he could have given some forethought to engagement angles. Hell, I give more forethought to that when setting up in a new deer stand for the evening.

Edit: although keeping a steady shot under stress is also a factor, and something I would expect an experienced professional to be able to do a far better job at than myself in this scenario.
Eliminatus
AG
Hnnnngghhh......This is my dream job right now. My unit was picked to join an anti-piracy task force right after my last tour to Afghan. We were so ****ing stoked to go. I would have to extend my contract to go and I had the initial papers drawn up to do so. This was in 2008 when it was a very visible international problem. We started initial training and morale was through the roof.

Then we got shortlisted to go back to Afghan. I immediately tore up my extension papers. Because **** Afghanistan. EAS'ed without fulfilling my dream of fighting pirates. Gubment had the last laugh though. Couple weeks after I got out my unit was once again shortlisted to do a Pacific float. Those *******s hit up all the Asian countries. Stories I had grown up on as a kid. Taiwan, Philippines, Japan, Australia, etc. It was one of the pros of enlisting. See the world and tear up some ports but NOOOOO.....****ing ME had to be ****ty again and all I got was four years of sand and misery. I have the worst timing. Sucks to suck ya know?

Burrus86
AG
agsalaska said:

A guy I worked with at The Chicken in the '90s does this for a living. Or at least he did at one point several years ago.
He has a lot of experience dealing with people that want to drink and pillage, then!
Texas Tea
AG
Quote:

A guy I work with thinks an awesome business model would be to go out and get a nice luxury yacht and essentially have people pay you to ride along and "patrol" the waters with the bait ship in hopes of pirates attacking - the premise would be that there are plenty of folks out there with money would would gladly spend their vacation in hopes of the opportunity to get to do what the video in the OP said. Can't say he is too far off the mark, I can see it being viable assuming you could price it out accordingly. People spend money on all kinds of stupid stuff all the time.
You could even have a reality show based on the premise - "The Deadliest Ketch". I guess you'd technically have to do it from a sailboat though.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I can't imagine many ship owners are willing to pay what (London-based) insurers are asking for in premiums to cover on board mercenaries, either.
P.U.T.U
AG
Some companies are hiring vets for security and they assume the liability of the arms in international waters. It is illegal in several countries to have guns so they work around the laws or with those countries.

As someone stated the US military is contracted to ride along some cargo ships and they get some fun toys. Kevlar boats with some heavy fire power, can drop from ship deck to the water in a sick amount of time. Our company has built several of the davits used for this but they will never let us take pictures or take it for a spin. I mean how could you at least not ask?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Question.... Looking at the concertina on one of the intro shots on the video got me thinking...

When considering the cost of putting armed security onboard a vessel, how effective would mechanical countermeasures be? Here's what I'm thinking...
  • Water cannon (they already do that). Take it one step further... They're already available of the shelf. Use remote controlled nozzles. So you can direct them to a target with a joystick without putting men on deck to man them.
  • Grapnel resistant railings
  • Angled steel skirts around the hull... Something like you see to keep squirrels off a bird feeder would likely prevent hooked ladders
  • An inverted (upwards opening) steel skirt that becomes a nest (moat) of concertina that must be crossed.
This means you only have one or two real points of entry which would likely be primary gangway hatches in port which could easily be designed (and might already be designed) to only be able to open them from the inside. It seems to me that the goal of armed security teams is to prevent the vessel from being boarded.

Just retrofit old vessels and make it standard on new construction to have deck structures that are resistant to boarding methods used by pirates. I get that if you build a better moustrap you end up with smarter mice, but these are pirates on 20' fishing skiffs we're talking about. They don't have the means to mobilize Hobarts Funnies.
P.U.T.U
AG
Slim to none, ship owners are cheap and the amount of engineering that has the be done for everything to be ABS certified would be a ton of money. Plus you can just randomly put guys on the ships instead of a permanent fixture. Remember these boats sit in the ports for a long time and pirates rarely attack.
Hoss
AG
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the idiot with the camera shooting the side of the ship rail 4-5 time and then shooting right over the other guy's head.
Wocka Wocka
AG
http://gcaptain.com/real-story-behind-somali-pirates-vs-ships-private-security-guards-viral-video/

FYI guys, this video is from ~2011.

My company moves vessels in and out of Africa frequently. For every story that seldomly pops up similar to this, you also have the other side of the coin:

http://gcaptain.com/maersk-alabama-deaths-heroin-trident-group/
CanyonAg77
AG
I suspect the Somalis have RPGs. So I wouldn't want anti-boarding defense as much as I'd rather have something with an effective range 2x-3x that of an RPG

Edit: sorry, meant to reply to Kenneth
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
HumbleAg said:

More:

Get some!

Holy crap! The lawyer in that video representing the Maersk Alabama crew suing the company is an Ag! Brian Beckom '96.
lexofer
AG
The oil platforms we design for African waters have a variety of different anti-boarding features. They have what we call rat traps, (squirrel feeder type things you mentioned) on any piping or anything else that could be climbed up to get on board. There's a whole set of anti-piracy guidelines with defenses and operations procedures to follow.
3rdGenAg05
AG
I had a small part in the below operation (not part of boarding party) in 2010. I still have some great thermal video clips taken from the overwatch/sniper helos. One pirate on the bridge **** himself while he was being tied up like the animal he was. Miss days like those.
Opposite of Eliminatus-we were supposed to go to Afg, but did stuff like this instead.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/world/africa/10pirates.html
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.