Outdoors
Sponsored by

Somali pirates chose the wrong ship

7,866 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 3rdGenAg05
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

SIAP
BCO07
AG
If more ships did that, problem solved. I know that there are a couple of the cargo shipping types on this board, why isn't this standard when going through high risk areas?
TwoMarksHand
AG
I read somewhere that if the ship goes to a port in a country that doesn't allow guns then that is a big detractor for security measures.
I'm sure someone else can provide better reasoning.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
More:

Get some!
BrazosDog02
AG
Ok, how do you get a job doing that? I think I could at least shoot that wella nd it looks like amunition is plentiful.

Also...Pirates....In a dingy....So hilarious.

I also like how there is no horse **** idea that once the threat flees they have to stop shooting. Nope. Even if you are disabled and practically neutralized....you don't get a pass out of your initial decision. LOL.
OnlyForNow
AG
Such a crock of crap that the news guy was saying those first shots weren't warning shots.

based on what the skift did after it got behind the big boat, one person was still able to steer.

35chililights
AG
I still want to see a video of an old chest freezer dumped overboard on top of one of those skiffs.
reddog90
AG
Were they shooting to miss at 0:25, then once the dingy was behind the ship actually shooting to kill?
OnlyForNow
AG
I think as soon as the boat smashed into the ship they went to shoot to kill.
CactusThomas
AG
I think they were dead by then.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sure looks like someone is steering the boat after it's in the prop wash of the ship.
CanyonAg77
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

I read somewhere that if the ship goes to a port in a country that doesn't allow guns then that is a big detractor for security measures.
That makes sense. So here's what they need to do:

Have a couple of mother ships that only go in and out of gun-friendly ports. Put one on each end of the transit area. Using small boats or helicopters, put a fire team on every ship before it goes through the danger zone. Take them off at the other end.

In the middle, shoot as needed.
schmellba99
AG
BCO07 said:

If more ships did that, problem solved. I know that there are a couple of the cargo shipping types on this board, why isn't this standard when going through high risk areas?
Third Coast is the resident high seas captain on the board. IIRC, he has said that there are a couple two or three components of why this type of stuff is not the norm:

1. Cost - nobody wants to pay for it, and the odds really are in your favor of not needing a security force anyway
2. International agreements and law concerning firearms in many countries prohibit them, even in port.
3. Crew demographics - a lot (most) of the actual crews on these ships are Phillipinos, Indonesians, etc. - and you really don't want these types of guys around firearms. He has said that many of them are sketchy at best.

I could be mistaken, but several years back when Phillips was kidnapped and this was the hot topic of debate he chimed in on this with something at least close to the above.

A guy I work with thinks an awesome business model would be to go out and get a nice luxury yacht and essentially have people pay you to ride along and "patrol" the waters with the bait ship in hopes of pirates attacking - the premise would be that there are plenty of folks out there with money would would gladly spend their vacation in hopes of the opportunity to get to do what the video in the OP said. Can't say he is too far off the mark, I can see it being viable assuming you could price it out accordingly. People spend money on all kinds of stupid stuff all the time.
OnlyForNow
AG
Except be sure to get a Class 3 license and a full auto Ma-Duce.

Turn that ****ty little skiff into debris pile.
lexofer
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Have a couple of mother ships that only go in and out of gun-friendly ports. Put one on each end of the transit area. Using small boats or helicopters, put a fire team on every ship before it goes through the danger zone. Take them off at the other end.
Most ports will allow guns to stay on board provided they stay locked up and declared despite any gun laws on land. These security teams do not stay on board the entire voyage they already just get on and off as they pass dangerous areas like Somalia.

Most ships don't go within a few hundred miles of the Somali coast anymore. You can see lots of ships hugging the coastline around every country except Somalia.

Only one major ship has been hijacked since 2012 so the pirate thing is pretty much under control these days.
Burrus86
AG
Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.
Daddy-O5
AG
Laws and regulations for carrying vessels on board are established by their flag state, although as mentioned above, just because it's allowed by flag state doesn't mean vessel owners choose to allow it. There are a lot of other complications with having arms on board.

Interesting break down here:

Comparison of flag state laws on armed guards and arms on board

Daddy-O5
AG
I was in Nigeria waiting for a vessel to arrive, the Captain refused to come within 200miles or so until a pilot time was confirmed. Pretty rough on the West Coast as well.
Mr. Dubi
reddog90 said:

Were they shooting to miss at 0:25, then once the dingy was behind the ship actually shooting to kill?
If you look, the gunner is actually shooting the boat. I count 4-5 hits--on the cargo ship! He obviously doesn't understand the sight offset of an AR. Also if you watch from ~:50-1:10 the same guy muzzles another guy on the stern of the boat, shooting very close too.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
You weren't kidding went back and watched and he hit it pretty good. I counted at least 3 hits on the rail right in front of him. Clearly amateur hour.
Before shooting:

Hit 1

Hit 2

Hit 3
Mr. Dubi

Shooting at/near guy on stern
PorkEatingCrusader
Amateur hour?! please son! You try containing your adrenaline and keep a steady shot when the SHTF like that. No matter how hard and often you train!
PorkEatingCrusader
Mr. Dubi said:

you're assuming how the angles are in the screenshot. Prob not anywhere near what you think they are.
CactusThomas
AG
Absolutely amateur hour
schmellba99
AG
PorkEatingCrusader said:

Amateur hour?! please son! You try containing your adrenaline and keep a steady shot when the SHTF like that. No matter how hard and often you train!
You are forgetting that most everybody on here is a former Operator with countless hours of training and countless missions under their belt, and who all have the ability to make perfect decisions and perfect shots even in imperfect conditions...
PorkEatingCrusader
CactusThomas said:

Absolutely amateur hour
CactusThomas
AG
People who jump on the internet and assume they are the only combat veterans.
PorkEatingCrusader
Combat vets assuming they have more training and experience than anyone else on the net
CactusThomas
AG
OK? Sorry I mistook you for a combat veteran.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not any sort of combat veteran, short of keyboard wars. And even I can see he's hitting the rail and shooting really close to his buddy on the stern.

The other thing that amuses me is his little bunker. Is that a bag of lawn fertilizer or what? Looks like they raided a container and piled up the sacks of whatever they found.
Mr. Dubi
PorkEatingCrusader said:

Mr. Dubi said:

you're assuming how the angles are in the screenshot. Prob not anywhere near what you think they are.

1:09 on same video. Red circle is tail gunner. Yellow circle is target currently engaged, actively being fired upon by starboard gunner midship, he fired a shot less than one second before screenshot. Green line is relative muzzle direction. Keep in mind just seconds prior to this shot, the tak.gunner was shooting over the starboard quarter, leaning over the rail.
PorkEatingCrusader
NM
agsalaska
AG
A guy I worked with at The Chicken in the '90s does this for a living. Or at least he did at one point several years ago.
PooDoo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm not any sort of combat veteran, short of keyboard wars. And even I can see he's hitting the rail and shooting really close to his buddy on the stern.

The other thing that amuses me is his little bunker. Is that a bag of lawn fertilizer or what? Looks like they raided a container and piled up the sacks of whatever they found.

That's better than the flimsy wooden pallets in the other video.
PrestigeWW
AG
schmellba99 said:

BCO07 said:

Third Coast is the resident high seas captain on the board. IIRC, he has said that there are a couple two or three components of why this type of stuff is not the norm:

1. Cost - nobody wants to pay for it, and the odds really are in your favor of not needing a security force anyway
2. International agreements and law concerning firearms in many countries prohibit them, even in port.
3. Crew demographics - a lot (most) of the actual crews on these ships are Phillipinos, Indonesians, etc. - and you really don't want these types of guys around firearms. He has said that many of them are sketchy at best.

I could be mistaken, but several years back when Phillips was kidnapped and this was the hot topic of debate he chimed in on this with something at least close to the above.

A guy I work with thinks an awesome business model would be to go out and get a nice luxury yacht and essentially have people pay you to ride along and "patrol" the waters with the bait ship in hopes of pirates attacking - the premise would be that there are plenty of folks out there with money would would gladly spend their vacation in hopes of the opportunity to get to do what the video in the OP said. Can't say he is too far off the mark, I can see it being viable assuming you could price it out accordingly. People spend money on all kinds of stupid stuff all the time.
Tannerite and shoot the nuts off. Sorry, I figured you had forgotten.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.