Outdoors
Sponsored by

Suggestions for Gunsafe

5,420 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Credible Source
cdowl38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My rifle collection is getting big enough where I would like to buy a gunsafe. Does anyone have any suggestions on where or what to get?

dr_boogs
AG
Budget?

Whatever size you think you need, get one double that number.

Sturdy Safes out of CA are my recommendation. Excellent product, middle of road on price point. Check out their website. Good YouTube videos as well.
ought1ag
AG
definitely get bigger than you think you need. i prefer the old school locks over the newer electronic ones.....no reason why, just do. if you are on a tight budget, try during black Friday....can usually save a couple hundred.
tlh3842
AG
For sure get larger than you need right now, you'll always want another gun. Also don't trust the number rating for the safe. If it said 28 gun, you'd be lucky to get 20 in if you have any scoped guns.

If you're in Houston, checkout Moore Security. They are great folks, and sometimes they'll run specials. They are primarily Liberty dealers.
highvelocity
AG
Gun safes are like a bag of lays potato chips. What they advertise is not what you actually get. A 24 gun safe might fit 12-15 guns and if you're like me and store your more expensive ammo and mags in the safe too then that cuts down even more on space
BradMtn346
Count how many you have, how many you want, and double that number. There are always lots of places to rest barrels, think about where the stocks and scopes go.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I just bought a Stack-On total defense that I like so far. After a lot of research it seemed to be really the only one in my price range that offered a meaningful level of fire protection. Plus the water proofing up to 2 ft is a nice feature in Houston. Would recommend as a good budget option.
DrEvazanPhD
I tend to disagree with the huge safe size. I've owned 50 and 100 gun safes, and have since sold them in favor of smaller safes that are easier to move when i move (it happens every few years) and easier to hide in closets, etc.
agcrock2005
AG
I bought a $2K Liberty safe on Craigslist for $1K last month. It was barely used. I had to drive from Ft. Worth to Corsicana but to save that amount it was definitely worth it. If you're not in a huge rush then I would start with Craigslist.

PS: I now have tons of room for more guns which has led to an obsession with buying more guns, so beware of buying a large safe!
cdowl38
AG
I was thinking something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-GCB-18C-DS-Convertible-Security-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR1M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1493320730&sr=8-12&keywords=gun+safe

I dont want to break the bank
cdowl38
AG
I dont really want to spend more than $200
96ags
AG
cdowl38 said:

Then you don't really want a gun safe.
aggie_2010
AG
IMO, gun cabinets will keep your kids and their friends away, but tell thiefs where all your valuables are stored. They offer very little security, and will likely not stop a smash and grab thief.
CTGilley
AG
96ags said:

cdowl38 said:

Then you don't really want a gun safe.

I spent $350 on mine in College. (I found the receipt the other day.) I need to upgrade. It is too small and not much of a safe. But it is bolted down any anyone would have a hard time getting into it. It has bolted doors top bottom and side and a combination lock, but I would not trust any fire rating.

The cabinet you showed will keeps kids out but that is about it.
cdowl38
AG
Maybe I need to look into a more expensive model. I want it to be pretty secure
ttha_aggie_09
AG
cdowl38 said:

If you have a closet you don't use very often, buy this and replace the closet handle with a locking key one. Adds an extra level of safety and should be enough to deter any intruders... however, if they really want something and know about it, they'll get in.

So $200 gun cabinet + $25 key lock for closet = fair compromise.
BoozerRed78
AG
Get a good one.
AggieGunslinger
AG
A $200 gun cabinet is a shopping cart to a theif, an easy way to carry everything out of the house.
jrbaggie
Security Products - 2nd to no one!
Kenneth_2003
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

cdowl38 said:

If you have a closet you don't use very often, buy this and replace the closet handle with a locking key one. Adds an extra level of safety and should be enough to deter any intruders... however, if they really want something and know about it, they'll get in.

So $200 gun cabinet + $25 key lock for closet = fair compromise.
Plus several hundred dollars for a solid core door, which of course will need to be painted, and which way does the door swing?

A locked closet door suggests to a decent thief that they want to be on the other side of that door. We're talking about a thief who has already broken into your home. So one locked barrier (which was presumably your strongest) wasn't really a deterrent... Oh there is a solid core deadbolted door to that closet? Ummm... Door swings out, pop the hinges. Door swings in, kick it. That fails the closet is guarded by two layers of 1/2in sheetrock. Bottom line, they're going in.

OP -- Home security is, in my opinion, primarily an illusion. It deters the smash and grab types, but it's easily bypassed by anyone that knows what they're doing or brought some tools with them. I'm of the opinion that the biggest deterrent with a residential security cabinet (no one on here is actually talking about Safes until you put an extra 0 or perhaps 00 in your price range) is weight. If they want it, and they've got the time, they're going to get it.

If you go the cheapo route, it's got to be bolted down, even if only because those that know what they're doing will attack them from behind, so don't bolt it against a basic interior wall! Mine weighs 750lbs empty. It's not bolted... I've decided if they can get it out of the house, they can have it.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Winchester Gun Safes.. A Texas Company...
76Ag
AG
I can get a gun Winchester safe from Home Depot and they will deliver it to my drive way. How the heck will I get a 600+ pound safe into my house? If I purchase s safe from a safe company how much will they charge to deliver it and set it up?
tbone421998
AG
76Ag said:

I can get a gun Winchester safe from Home Depot and they will deliver it to my drive way. How the heck will I get a 600+ pound safe into my house? If I purchase s safe from a safe company how much will they charge to deliver it and set it up?
You-tube it. You need to get some 1" or bigger diameter dowels or closet rod. Three of four of them. Tip it over just enough to get the first one in then roll it for the next one. We did it with my son's safe and it weighed more than that. Wasn't hard at all.
Secolobo
AG
Buy one of these and build a room.
Shiner Bock
AG
I just laid down cardboard along the interior flooring, followed by rolling on 2 pvc pipes (easy part). Getting off back of pickup truck was harder than rolling it in.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
76Ag said:

600# isn't too bad as long as you don't have to go up or down any stairs. I moved my 1200-1300# safe using a furniture dolly and plywood over my wood floors.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Too good to be true? $800
Quote:

The Best and Most Affordable Gun Safe in the US!!

• With 3 Gauge walls and 1 Gauge doors, TEMPERLEY Gun Safes have the thickest steel in the US market.
  • You can buy our Gun Safes for a FRACTION of what it costs at any RETAIL stores.

The keypad setup looks a tad sketchy. Few details on the design, fire rating on their website.
http://www.temperleygunsafes.com/
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Being single and living in a house with a super large master closet has got me thinking. I really want a gun room and the way the closet lays out its almost already divided into two with the smaller area being about 8'-9' x 4'. I am seriously considering having it enclosed and installing a shelving unit that operates as a door. I think that would be great to deter theft and have a room large enough to store all my guns, ammo, gear, etc.
76Ag
AG
I want a barndominium with a reinforced steel gun and ammo room but that is in the future, I hope. For now I just need the gun safe. Finally my wife agrees but she wants to put jewelry and important documents in it, too.
Duncan Idaho
I plan on going the Costco. Com route.
BlueSmoke
What I did. $499, I think from Costco? Not the best by a long shot, but it's a decent deterrent and more importantly, we have kids, who bring over their friends. Keeps paperwork and other documents decently safe (no pun intended).

*which might be a better than nothing argument for the cheaper gun cabinet. Keeps little hands at bay.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
KY AG
AG
Several years ago, someone recommended an $8,000-$10,000 range safe (Kurakin?) that I can never remember the name. They posted YouTube videos of people trying to break in it.

Anybody remember what it was?
Credible Source
AG
I went with Superior safe, for the features is reasonably priced and super high quality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.