Outdoors
Sponsored by

What pistol do you carry in the wilderness?

4,855 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggieland09
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice
El Chupacabra
When I go on my long hikes this summer I'll carry my 45-70. Sidearm may be a small 357 revolver.
V8Aggie
AG
HK USP .40
ironmanag
AG
Ruger 9MM.
oneeyedag
.357 Sig or my XDs 9mm with extended mag.
TRIDENT
AG
6" Model 29 44 mag
Mathguy64
AG
Walking to the stand during deer season while it's pitch black along a wooded old logging road? I walk with my Ruger P89 out in my hand. I do not like walking up on a hog in the dark.
tx4guns
AG
Glock 20. I've had to use it on a 200# charging boar before, and let's just say that 200gr doing 1200fps was more than enough. It would stomp a bear.

shaynew1
AG
The prospect of taking something out w only a rock thrills me so I carry nothing.

And as a big body I would prefer those ounces be spent on something like chocolate.
Sean98
AG
shaynew1 said:

...I carry nothing.

And as a big body I would prefer those ounces be spent on something like chocolate.
ursusguy
AG
If I did, it would be a fancy S&W Sigma .40
JSKolache
AG
Whatever is handy, or G20 if I plan ahead
shaynew1
AG
4 or 5 years ago I convinced a buddy to ride up to Colorado with me to close out the last 4 days of archery elk. I had been up a couple weeks earlier with not luck and still had my tag. He'd never been elk hunting before and wasn't sure what to expect. The first day we're getting ready to head out, and he has this ~2000ci pack he is just piling **** in. Clothes, rope, god knows what else. As he was cramming things into it, he picked up a full sized unopened box of nutterbutters. He paused and looked at it a moment. His face very clearly said '**** yes we'll need these,' and loaded them up. I don't know how much his bag weighed, but I tried to explain we wouldn't need any of it. I had a bottle of water in one pocket and a cliff bar in the other.

About 5 minutes into the hike he was ready to drop it, but my plan for the day took us down the mountain another way so he toughed it out.

A couple hours later as we're getting ready to cross a creek in the dark timber, I smelled something foul and looked back and asked him if he ***** Nope. Get to the bottom of the creek and freeze. About 60 yards upwind from us is a fair sized bear nibling on some goodies. Wind is fine and he doesn't know we're there, so I'm hanging out enjoying being around him. I look back at said buddy who's eyes are like baseballs. Apparently there were two bears. One that I saw, and the one that I looked right over that was not quite 30 yards out. He whispered lets get the f out of here. Later he would tell me all he could think about was his backpack full of cookies and the only weapon we had between us was a stupid bow.

Never as long as I live will I forgot his split second contemplation as he was about to throw those nutterbutters in his pack. Man I still think that was so funny.
Lungblood
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't have one but I've thought of getting a 10mm for this purpose.
Hoss
AG
My ideal wilderness gun would be a Glock 40 (model 40...not 40 caliber) with full power ammo. If I can't have that I'd want the G20.
schmellba99
AG
Depends on where I am. Usually though, nothing. A good knife is preferable, and the overwhelming majority it was just my pocket knife.

In AZ when I was south or in the low desert, I carried my 1911 after a run in with a group of illegals while dove hunting.

In the high desert or mountains I carried my Blackhawk in .357. Easy to carry in the cowboy style holster, never knew it was there most of the time and it has plenty of power. At elk camp in CO, no sidearms necessary.

In south Texas, prefer a 1911 or 9mm.

Almost all of these are for 2 legged varmints, I generally dont put much thought to actual wild animals.
Charlie Delta
Hoss said:

My ideal wilderness gun would be a Glock 40 (model 40...not 40 caliber) with full power ammo. If I can't have that I'd want the G20.

I was really considering getting a Glock 20. I didn't know about the Glock 40. Now the choice is much more difficult.
EskimoJoe
Dad used to take a 44 mag and a yellow lab whenever we went salmon fishing, both rod and reel and set net. Hopefully the grizzly would chase the dog and not us. Looking back, im not sure how much a 44 mag would slow down a charging grizzly bear that wasn't distracted by the dog. Lucky for us, we never found out.
IDAGG
AG
EskimoJoe said:

Looking back, im not sure how much a 44 mag would slow down a charging grizzly bear that wasn't distracted by the dog. Lucky for us, we never found out.
I don't know either really, this just reminds me of the joke about the Alaskan gun store employee's advice.
Central Committee
AG

It is useful for dispatching the occasional rattlesnake or feral hog I cross.
cledus6150
AG
Ahh a fellow Keith enthusiast, fewer and fewer people now even know who Elmer Keith was.
Hoss
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Hoss said:

I was really considering getting a Glock 20. I didn't know about the Glock 40. Now the choice is much more difficult.

It's a beast of a gun that I think they came out with a couple of years ago. I didn't know about them until somewhat recently, and it has been on my wish list ever since.
AggiePetro07
AG
You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the buddy with 70# and a pack of nutter butters on his back.
tlfw378
AG
cledus6150 said:

Ahh a fellow Keith enthusiast, fewer and fewer people now even know who Elmer Keith was.

This is very true. Even a bigger mystery is what a "Keith" bullet actually is. The term was so over used because of the name behind it, the meaning has been lost.

This is THE reason I love old Smiths...they have the cylinder to accept the long noses of Keith's.
shaynew1
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the buddy with 70# and a pack of nutter butters on his back.

I doubt many ppl outrun me outrunning a bear...especially w an nutterbutter anchor strapped on.

Luckily for him my first instinct would have been to just kill the bear.
cledus6150
AG
Same thing for me, I have an early production 57 that my dad gave me as my first handgun. I love it and I have taken a lot of game with it. It is my handgun of choice to carry when I go into the woods, not for fear of wild game. But instead, for instances where I stumble upon some deer or hogs I like to a handgun that I have absolute confidence.

This was my first deer with it, there have been many since.
schmellba99
AG
cledus6150 said:

Nowdays though Keith would be an outcast for being dangerous and stupid and going beyond published data or dancing in the gray area of the unknown concerning reloading and catastrophic failure of firearms.
tlfw378
AG
Yep...true Pioneer.
CactusThomas
AG
Not to mention taking game at well over 500 yards with a handgun.
tlfw378
AG
cledus6150 said:

Same thing for me, I have an early production 57 that my dad gave me as my first handgun. I love it and I have taken a lot of game with it. It is my handgun of choice to carry when I go into the woods, not for fear of wild game. But instead, for instances where I stumble upon some deer or hogs I like to a handgun that I have absolute confidence.

This was my first deer with it, there have been many since.

Beauty. I have a 4" Model 57 that is fun fun fun. Awesome that you have an heirloom and tons of memories.
cledus6150
AG
Thank you, it really is a great little gun that will hopefully one day be passed down again.
SECeded
aggieland09
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.