Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tractor opinions

10,451 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieMarkSA
Nomsag1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need a tractor for mowing 60-75 acres. I've looked at kubota m7060 and like it, any opinions on kubota or any other brand?
samsal75
AG
Comparable Mahindra 4-wheel drive. Much better hydraulics and lift capacity.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I like JD myself. Are you just going to mow it? If it's good grass, you should cut it, bail it & sell it if you're going to be buying a tractor already.
ought1ag
AG
my dad works on a place with a kubota and they have had nothing but problems. it was purchased brand new and its in the shop 3-4 times a year.

my vote is for a deere
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Ive had every major brand except for Mahindra I guess.....even an old Deutz-Allis

50 - 300 hp

Get one that you can get good reliable service is my best advice

Some areas that's Kubota, others JD or ?
fightingfarmer09
Bale the grass if you can and save the trouble.

Mid ranged Case IH, JD or Kubota are all good options.

Buy the dealer not the tractor when dealing with the main brands.
JD05AG
AG
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10723237/2008-john-deere-6430

I'd look for something like this.
Matt_s
AG
If you're in the Houston area and interested at all in Deere, feel free to reach out. email in profile. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Biggest piece of advice I can tell you is to go try each tractor you're considering. Not just sit on the tractor without it started and listening to a sales pitch, but actually driving and actually running the hydraulics. I have driven most of the newer stuff from brands listed on this thread. IMO Deere and Kubota stand out in the HP range you'll be looking at. I dont get the Mahindra hype. To me they feel very antiquated compared to other modern tractors.

Some of the opinions you'll read on this thread will be just as crazy as stuff you'll read on a chevy vs. ford thread.
MouthBQ98
AG
Or you can get an old ford. Still have never broken anything on it. I damn hydrolocked it once after a hurricane partly flooded it and it still runs reliably.

Modern tractors are powerful, but also seem like a complex fragile mess compared to older ones.
aggieheart
AG
J Deere or Kubota IMO. As mentioned service availability when needed is important. That said I have had a Kubota for about ten years and a month ago was the first issue I have had. Replaced the radiator. Use it a couple of times a week at least.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
Kubota owner (38HP GL series), 12 yrs and 1100 hrs without any issues at all. Strong and fast hydraulics. Previous Kubota was a 1983 30HP, it's still going strong with the current owner.

Have recently been using a 2014 60HP Deere (Mod 5060), and IMO Deere is doing itself no favor with this made-in-India model. No shuttle shift (at least on this one), very slow hydraulics (at least on the FEL), and a poorly gated transmission shifter...and damn noisy. Powerful for its size, but that's about the only plus. Oh yeah, at 275 hrs, leaks from both the diesel and hydraulic systems.
If buying a Deere, I'm sure their myriad of models includes something more "modern" than the 5060.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
docb
AG
I would make sure that their is a strong dealer in the area. I have two Kubota tractors and have nothing but good to say about them. I owned a Mahindra before and was happy to get rid of it. I feel like I bought it on bad advice being a newbie to tractors at the time.
two1993ags
Buy 20-30% more HP than you think you need. Bought a Kubota 6040 8 years ago...worked fine with 7' bush hog and 8' disc. As work and parent responsibilities increased had less time to be on tractor so decided to get 15' batwing which meant needing a Kubota 9540 5 years ago. Been pleased with both. No repairs required on either to date...only routine oil and hydraulic changes.
rather be fishing
AG
Agree with buying the dealer (and/or a good mechanic in your area). Most of my experience was with a good and good dealers nearby, so that statement hold plenty of truth.

All machines need maintenance. If you can't do it yourself, have a good source close to you.
cuz-i-can
AG
My Mahindra 4540 caught fire with only 100ish hours on it. Buyer beware.
BradMtn346
We have all of the majors except mahindra. I like the Deere the most. One Kabota is hateful to operate, the second (I was off continent when purchased) is just unpleasant. The new holland was a reliable tractor but the hydraulics were crap.
C Loves L
I suggest Chevrolet. Unlike Ford, they ride smooth and have no road noise
cbr
AG
I chose Kubota, it seemed higher quality than mahindra, though I liked how rugged some components of the mahindra were. I didn't consider any other brands. I loved my grandfathers old JD but the new ones just don't seem like they are well built or priced. Also, the mahindra JD and dealers were obviously terrible even in sales mode, whereas Kubota dealer was legit. So far that Kubota has been fantastic. I did get one of the last of the pre emissions bull**** idiocy models. 2013 model I think.
RFD
AG
I have had my Kubota mx5100 for about 7-8 years and I would buy Kubota again if I were in the market.
SWCBonfire
AG
1. Kubotas are fine utility tractors, not row crop tractors. I would argue that people who have negative opinions on them are expecting them to behave like a row crop tractor.
2. You probably need something designed for row crop agriculture to regularly mow 60 acres.
3. Unless you go old (and even if you do and you want a cab), you're not going to like what this costs.

Cheapest possible route I can think of is squeaking by with an open station JD 2355 or even 4020 in decent shape (2855's have a bad hydraulic reputation) with a 15' batwing mower. Even at that, you're going to have to mow regularly, clean out grates religiously, and watch engine temperatures (especially if you don't mow regularly). A used waterloo tractor (like a 4040 or larger) is going to be the best "cheap" way to do this with a cab. I'm not impressed with Kubota's larger cab tractors, but they will likely be up to the task if you go large enough ($$$).

Have you even considered how much time & diesel it is going to take to regularly mow 60 acres? I would suggest an alternative, like stocker cattle.

AggieMarkSA
On a sort-of related note, how does do you determine size/capacity of a tractor? Let's say you'd be routinely mowing 100 acres, some of it pasture, some of it roads, nothing cultivated, and maintaining roads with a box blade as well.
SWCBonfire
AG
How routinely is "routine"?

The likely answer is: Most tractors that are comfortable and powerful enough to mow 100 acres every couple of weeks are probably too large for a utility size box blade (although you can find larger ones and even drag type maintainers). You're going to want a 15' batwing style shredder for that, and the HP to run that through pasture with comfortable power reserve and without overheating during continuous operation is going to be in the 75 PTO HP range (not engine HP), and in a tractor that has that rated PTO HP at an RPM below 2400 or so (indicating it has adequate low-end torque to handle hitting a clump of something difficult on a regular basis). Also, a smaller tractor going over that amount of country is going to beat you to death.

That's why no one mows several hundred acres every few weeks... and if they do, it's smooth and cultivated and they do it routinely enough that they can do it in a high gear and cover some country.
AgySkeet06
AG
You are looking for an occasional/specific use utility machine, go with the Kubota for its price and functionality and dont waste the extra money on the other color. If you were using daily my opinion would be different.

My only real alternative for you would be a new holland tractor, however these dealers appear more spread out than kubota from what I can tell.
AggieMarkSA
The area I'm in has Case, JD, New Holland and Mahindra dealers nearby. There's a kubota dealer about and hour and ten minutes away. I've always used Case and Kubota in the past. Glad to see these responses. I've been looking in the 85-100 HP range, with 540 rpm PTOs, and I want to fork out the money for the good seat. The 15' batwing is number one on my list. There's multiple pastures to mow, running from 5-10 acres apiece, plus an earthen dam, a pipeline ROW and several miles of roads. I've been doing most of the work with a 5' shredder, and it's been beating me to death.
Burdizzo
AG
SWCBonfire said:

The likely answer is: Most tractors that are comfortable and powerful enough to mow 100 acres every couple of weeks are probably too large for a utility size box blade (although you can find larger ones and even drag type maintainers). You're going to want a 15' batwing style shredder for that, and the HP to run that through pasture with comfortable power reserve and without overheating during continuous operation is going to be in the 75 PTO HP range (not engine HP), and in a tractor that has that rated PTO HP at an RPM below 2400 or so (indicating it has adequate low-end torque to handle hitting a clump of something difficult on a regular basis). Also, a smaller tractor going over that amount of country is going to beat you to death.

That's why no one mows several hundred acres every few weeks... and if they do, it's smooth and cultivated and they do it routinely enough that they can do it in a high gear and cover some country.

Also don't discount the fuel bill for running a tractor like that for the better part of a day at that regularity.
AggieMarkSA
Burdizzo said:

SWCBonfire said:

Also don't discount the fuel bill for running a tractor like that for the better part of a day at that regularity.

Fuel is factored in. It won't be 100 acres at a time, all the time. A pasture or two here, a road there, the berm later. I've got a sizeable diesel tank out there, and red dye diesel is still pretty reasonable. I'd also much rather buy more tractor than I need, as opposed to finding out I need more later. The remainder of the property is a fairly thick mix of new and old growth, which, while I'm interested in thinning out, can wait for the pros!
SWCBonfire
AG
The holy grail for what you're wanting to do is a MFWD JD 6410 with a loader and low hours... a unicorn, essentially. My dad's low-hour 7410 is worth probably $10,000+ more than what he paid for it, new.

Clean 100+/- hp tractors without the emissions crap hold their value really, really well.

Since you said you are doing it small portions at a time, you should be able to get away with a smaller tractor. I would stick to 4wd for the ride alone, and make sure that PTO Hp is up to par, they rate everything by engine hp now.
cwc07
AG
Matt-S are you with a dealership in the Houston area?
Jack Boyett
AG
Unless you need a small tractor, 4240 for $10,000 and $5,000 for a batwing shredder.
TMfrisco
AG
AggieMarkSA said:

The area I'm in has Case, JD, New Holland and Mahindra dealers nearby. There's a kubota dealer about and hour and ten minutes away. I've always used Case and Kubota in the past. Glad to see these responses. I've been looking in the 85-100 HP range, with 540 rpm PTOs, and I want to fork out the money for the good seat. The 15' batwing is number one on my list. There's multiple pastures to mow, running from 5-10 acres apiece, plus an earthen dam, a pipeline ROW and several miles of roads. I've been doing most of the work with a 5' shredder, and it's been beating me to death.
I have a 14' LandPride Batwing that is sitting at my property waiting for the dealer to pick up. It was part of an equipment lease package. It hasn't been used in at least 2.5 years and is in good condition.
If you are interested, I can get you in touch with the Sales Rep and you might be able to get a deal.
SWCBonfire
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Unless you need a small tractor, 4240 for $10,000 and $5,000 for a batwing shredder.

Serious question, where is there a 4240 for sale for $10,000? I think you're off by about $15k, or meant a 4020. (4020 is always a correct answer!)
Jack Boyett
AG
Maybe so. I was at an auction in Dalhart in March. 2 4840's sold for about 15K. Purplewave history over the past 3 years shows 4 tractors sold between 10K and 20K. Auction prices are better. Auctions that aren't broadcast on the internet are best.
Tom Doniphon
Get the one you can get serviced easiest near you... we own deere, Massey, Kubota, case, etc...

None are bullet proof.

All things equal, get the deere.
Burdizzo
AG
Funny thing is, when I was in high school in the 1980's a 4020 in good condition was about $10k. Nowadays, a decent 4020 is about $10k.
AggieMarkSA
TMfrisco said:

AggieMarkSA said:

I have a 14' LandPride Batwing that is sitting at my property waiting for the dealer to pick up. It was part of an equipment lease package. It hasn't been used in at least 2.5 years and is in good condition.
If you are interested, I can get you in touch with the Sales Rep and you might be able to get a deal.

Thanks! Where are you located?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.