Outdoors
Sponsored by

ATF TO REVERSE "OPINION" ON SHOULDERING PISTOL BRACE

4,655 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/24/breaking-news-atf-reverses-stance-shouldering-stabilizing-braces/

This could be bigly
Mateo84
AG
Yuuge even
texags08
AG
Kudos to you '05 for using the correct acronym. not sure why it bothers me so much when people insist on using BATFE and scolding others for using ATF.

The freaking ATF uses ATF as their acronym.

/rant

Obligatory:
normaleagle05
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

SB Tactical, along with the law offices of Mark Barnes & Associates

Law office of Mark Barnes?!?! WHAT THE ****?!?!
CactusThomas
AG
Hardest working man in gun rights advocacy.
TKO 2001
AG
Im happy that I can use my brace without any issue. It's a good excuse for me to take advantage of the cheap lowers and finally build that AR pistol.
45-70Ag
AG
CactusThomas said:

Hardest working man in gun rights advocacy.
MGS
texags08 said:

Kudos to you '05 for using the correct acronym. not sure why it bothers me so much when people insist on using BATFE and scolding others for using ATF.

The freaking ATF uses ATF as their acronym.

/rant

Obligatory:

I get bothered when people misuse the word "acronym".
SECeded
texags08
AG
You don't pronounce it "a-tiff"?
tx4guns
AG
Here's a link to the ATF letter.

http://2ht1mik98ka4dogie28vqc4y.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Barnes_ATF_letter.pdf
schmellba99
AG
Maybe I read the letter wrong, but they aren't really reversing their opinion - only acknowledging the fact that shouldering a pistol brace does not constitute a "redesign" of the equipment. Never explicitly stated that they are changing their outlook or opinion on the fact that shouldering a pistol brace is illegal.
rack04
Many of the articles I've read make is seem like this clarification only applies to the SB Tactical Brace. I've read through the clarification and didn't see any mention of SB Tactical or exceptions, other than the clarification was requested on behalf of SB Tactical. I wonder how long it takes for someone to question the definition of "Stabilizing Braces".
helloag99
I thought rifles need a 16" barrel. The letter says 18"
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop
AG
What is that config? .300 aac or 5.56?
gumby579
AG
So one interpretation (via Reddit) is that the statement says it's okay to shoulder but if you put a brace on with the INTENT of shouldering then it makes it an actual SBR and would need the stamp and blah blah. So basically, build a pistol and "accidentally" shouldering is okay.
BenderRodriguez
AG
10.5" 5.56
aggieforester05
AG
The fact that this is even an issue is absolutely ridiculous. The NFA needs to go the way of the dodo yesterday!
rack04
gumby579 said:

So one interpretation (via Reddit) is that the statement says it's okay to shoulder but if you put a brace on with the INTENT of shouldering then it makes it an actual SBR and would need the stamp and blah blah. So basically, build a pistol and "accidentally" shouldering is okay.
I disagree with this interpretation. The clarification letter clearly states that if the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device (Stabilizing Brace) for use as a shoulder stock - for example, permanently affixing to the end of the buffer tube, removing the arm strap, or otherwise would undermine it's ability to be used as a brace - and then in fact shoots from the shoulder using the reconfigured device (stabilizing brace), that person has objectively "redesigned" the firearm (SBR). In your example, the shooter/possessor did not reconfigure the brace and therefore did not redesign the firearm.
txyaloo
AG
nimrodag99 said:

I thought rifles need a 16" barrel. The letter says 18"
Letter says a "firearm". Firearm is a specific legal term that includes rifles and shotguns. An SBS has a barrel <18".
BenderRodriguez
AG

Half the size of even a 10.5" AR, not much bigger than a full sized pistol....my braced MP5 clone is pretty happy with the news. Not that it bothered me much beforehand, since I was always careful to keep a .1" air pocket between my shoulder and the brace if I ever decided to shoot it with a cheek weld instead of using the arm brace.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Do we think this ruling will apply to the blade as well as the Sig brace? I'm just starting the acquisition process for a pistol build and trying to decide which to get. I prefer the look of the blade but wanted yalls opinion which yall like more and which helps yall stabilize best.
BenderRodriguez
AG
They're both fine.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Do we think this ruling will apply to the blade as well as the Sig brace? I'm just starting the acquisition process for a pistol build and trying to decide which to get. I prefer the look of the blade but wanted yalls opinion which yall like more and which helps yall stabilize best.

FWIW, the KAK Industry instagram page posted that they talked to someone in the ATF and were informed that the rule change supposedly also applies to the blade.

https://instagr.am/p/BTUlZElFpFy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txyaloo
AG
I haven't read any of the web gossip about the letter, but it's interesting they say people aren't being honest.

ATF has always maintained opinion letters only apply to the person or entity that requested the opinion. AFAIK, ATF hasn't posted an open letter on their website providing general guidance on braces. Verbal opinions from ATF are worth the paper they're written on.
Duncan Idaho
Can I get this cliff noted?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.