Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing on foot in Port A

5,411 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
FabricatorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to port A for the weekend and am hoping to do some fishing. I don't have a surf rod and don't care for fishing from a pier but was hoping some of you guys could provide some insight or where I can catch some reds and trout.

Planned on trying my luck at the jetties, but pretty much have heard if you don't know where to set up you won't catch ***** Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
will.mcg
AG
Try the backside of the island. Alternatively go across the ferry & wadefish Redfish Bay.
FabricatorAg
Plastics live bait? I'm using this as an excuse to buy me a new road and reel so how would you set up? Popping cork? Etc..
htownag2007
AG
This has my attention as well as I'm going to Cinnamon Shore in 2 weeks...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Packery channel
AgEng06
AG
htownag2007 said:

This has my attention as well as I'm going to Cinnamon Shore in 2 weeks...

Same here, although we'll be further down between the Packery Channel and Bob Hall Pier. Any ideas for that area in mid to late May?
Reel Aggies
AG
Packery channel n jetty, have two rods set one with 1/4 oz slip sinker tied above a #1 hook to free line live shrimp and a second with a popping cork, about 2' line with slip sinker and hook for live shrimp under cork. Go down jetty to about second/third gut and fish there gulf side. Always something biting but bring plenty of tackle because there are a bunch of rocks. Channel side can be great on slack tide for trout because it's fairly shallow. Most fish you'll catch will be within 10'/15' of rocks on the jetty. Plenty of sheepies, flounder, reds, specs, smacks passing through. If in port a, take st joe ferry across and fish the exact same way.
lazuras_dc
AG
Time to throw top waters in the surf, look for birds working.

You can go soak bait at the jetty sure but to me thats boring. Also check out shamrock cove and mustang island state park you can wade fish in those areas and site cast reds or throw a popping cork and shrimp just as easily.

HillcountryAg97
AG
A few thoughts...

1. Brown and Root Flats/Aransas Causeway. Take the ferry over toward Aransas, then immediately take your first left into the sand. You will see a "tail" to the water, and on the back side of the water, there is a very rectangular area known to locals as the "football field." Walk around that, and there is a small channel you will need to wade across. Fish your way west from there, there is a lot of mud and shell, and in the western part of that stretch, there is a sunken boat. Around the point is a tough wade due to shell but then you can go directly southwest and there is a small gut. Good spot unless the dolphins show up.

2. Shamrock. Across from Port Royal is the entrance to Shamrock, and if you check google maps there is a mud hole to the northwest, redfish. If yoiu have a kayak you can be there in 5 minutes. Lots of stingrays.

3. Power lines. I never had a lot of luck here but lots of my friends have. Go to fish pass and drive through the back roads toward the power lines. Good wade with potholes.

Post reports if you can and good luck.

EDIT: If you go to Google Maps you can see the boat and the guts I am talking about on Sat view.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BwdAg
AG
http://shoreboundangler.com This guy has logged shore fishing results from packery to port a for years.
jh0400
AG
Turn off toward the bay just north of Fish Pass. The road is in bad shape, but once you get back to the water there is a big sand flat back there that you can wade.

If you want to fish the surf and have a four wheel drive truck, I'd recommend making the drive down to PINS.
BKClark
AG
Wilsons cut. Shamrock
DuckDown2013
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Packery channel

Caught many trout here over multiple trips with buddies. Always fished it with plastics. Sometimes with gambler flap n shad and sometimes with gulp shrimp. Did especially well on nights with good moonlight.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
BKClark said:

Wilsons cut. Shamrock
Don't leave ANYTHING in your car that you don't want stolen.
FabricatorAg
DuckDown2013 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Packery channel

Caught many trout here over multiple trips with buddies. Always fished it with plastics. Sometimes with gambler flap n shad and sometimes with gulp shrimp. Did especially well on nights with good moonlight.

Planned on going early morning and fishing until 9 or I get tired of catching. Where would you recommend in the channel to start? From what I'm seeing there could be some strong winds so what would you do fish the backside of the jetties where I'm not having to fight the wind?
B-1 83
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/833187

There are no fish at the Packery Jetties! Live shrimp, lemon rig, thank me later. Posted on the old thread and brought it back.

FabricatorAg
Ok so I'm set on the packery jetties will play it with the wind. Now I saw the guy post about the lemon rig, however one of my buddies suggested I go with down south plastics (Texas roach or magic grass) he's in POC two weekends a month and they slam trout and reds. I'm going solo with one baitcaster curado and I'd prefer to travel light, meaning no live bait most likely for me. I just want to catch fish haha what would you guys say to roll with?
Drip99
AG
BKClark said:

Wilsons cut. Shamrock
I have a kayak Would it be good to put in here and paddle out to shamrock cove/island area?
DuckDown2013
AG
We waded in deep water at the 361 bridge and were throwing into the channel from the south side.

But people fish all over it. I remember us wade fishing in a big grass flat area before the bridge also across form Packery channel park. We did well there. You can see what I am talking about on google earth. But this was over 5 years ago, so I am not sure what it looks like in person now.

I only fish plastics as a personal preference so I am not sure if live bait would be better or not.
will.mcg
AG
I'm impressed with how much detail everyone is sharing. Bravo
lazuras_dc
AG
JesusQuintana said:

BKClark said:

Wilsons cut. Shamrock
I have a kayak Would it be good to put in here and paddle out to shamrock cove/island area?
yes. dont even have to go all the way out to shamrock island just hit those flats between shamrock cove and the shoreline. alot of structure.

Ive heard stories of theft of vehicles there but I duck hunted there several times and never seen/had an issue with break in.
AG
JesusQuintana said:

BKClark said:

Wilsons cut. Shamrock
Tons of area to paddle.
SaltwaterAg17
AG
I know you were looking for spots in Port A, but the Water St. area in Rockport can be great for Trout and Reds. I've pulled a few flounder and a black drum out of there as well.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Bookmarked
Drip99
AG
"I've heard stories of theft of vehicles there but I duck hunted there several times and never seen/had an issue with break in."

It's insured...might be just the nudge I need to get a 250
FabricatorAg
SaltwaterAg17 said:

I know you were looking for spots in Port A, but the Water St. area in Rockport can be great for Trout and Reds. I've pulled a few flounder and a black drum out of there as well.

Tell me more...I'm looking for the best spot possible to catch some reds, trout, or flounder.
C_Raz98
AG
Good info.
HillcountryAg97
AG
Just a tip to save you some time...

If you follow the service road to the south of Wilson's Cut you can save yourself a lot of time. If you go as far as you can then you can park and simply go across the cut and be in good water. You can see parked cars on the sat view from Google Maps.

From there, you will have better luck after you get across the channel if you head to the northeast and get into the mud areas. It you head to the flats to the northeast, it is endless grass with little structure.

On Google Maps, look for the parking spot with 7 vehicles. Two are white and one is maroon. Enter the flats from there and go straight north for a couple hundred yards, then curl around the round point and fish your way to that deeper hole to the northeast.

Post reports!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SaltwaterAg17
AG
Sorry for just now getting back to you. As soon as you turn down water street (right down from the harbor) the areas between fishing piers are great for wading. Mostly sandy with depths starting around 1.5' with a gradual increase. I've waded from in front of Hunt's castle down to the cedars and have had great results. Top waters to gulp will work well and I've seen some heavy stringers pulled out of there.
ENG
AG
HillcountryAg97 said:

Just a tip to save you some time...

If you follow the service road to the south of Wilson's Cut you can save yourself a lot of time. If you go as far as you can then you can park and simply go across the cut and be in good water. You can see parked cars on the sat view from Google Maps.

From there, you will have better luck after you get across the channel if you head to the northeast and get into the mud areas. It you head to the flats to the northeast, it is endless grass with little structure.

On Google Maps, look for the parking spot with 7 vehicles. Two are white and one is maroon. Enter the flats from there and go straight north for a couple hundred yards, then curl around the round point and fish your way to that deeper hole to the northeast.

Post reports!
Man that looks like it would be a perfect place to put a kayak in the water
AG
Wow, what a flashback. My Dad used to fish that area as a young pup way long time ago. He also would hike down to the boat basin and catch piggies to sell to boats going out fishing. Sure do miss him.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
SanAntoneAg
AG
Years back I used to park and wade B&R quite a bit. Nearly always had the place to myself. Learned it pretty well and always seemed to leave with reds on my stringer and the occasional flattie.

Little Bay in Rockport was always a good wade, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.