Outdoors
Sponsored by

Traeger Grills

7,158 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JarAG2007
Bigballin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A&M Chopper said:

Quote:

Anyone make the plunge for a timberline?
Ordered...to be delivered next week hopefully. Replacing my 7 year old Lil' Tex that's been an awesome little workhorse.
850 or 1300?

I'm struggling on what size to get. The bulk of the cooking will be for the rib and me. So the 850 will probably suffice but bigger is always better?
A&M Chopper
AG
1300. I went to Texas Star Grill Shop to check them out in person. The 850 was probably big enough for 99% of what I will do but the incremental cost to get the bigger one was so small I pulled the trigger on the 1300.
Bird Poo
AG
Superdave1993 said:

If you have a Komodo for grilling I would go Cookshack all day everyday.

Simple, electric and makes great BBQ. They are built like tanks, and I have not killed one yet.

Bought one used for $250 ran it 5-6 years and sold it for $250. Bought a second used unit that was built in the 80's that will hold about 20 chickens and still going strong 3-4 years later.

Edit: You have learned to run a stick burner, now learn to enjoy your free time. I have taken the first smaller one camping, put a brisket in, hit the lake all day and came back to BBQ. The smoker never left the back of my truck and could barely be seen over a closed tailgate back at camp.

1st time I've heard anything about these. Where can I get one used?
Superdave1993
AG
I found both of mine on Craigslist here in central Arkansas. They are made in Oklahoma and have a good following with decent forums as well. You can often find better deals on the larger units, especially if they are the 240v. Both of mine have been 110v and worked fine.

This is the current version of my first smaller one.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Original-Model-SM009-2

My second and current is between the 066 and the 160 commercial. Probably close to the FEC100 in size, but it is all electric. Cooked ribs Saturday and two pork butts Sunday, and could not have done it if I would have had to watch a fire both days.

Four butts would max out the smaller one and it was much better with three or less. My larger one will hold about twelve and run well.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums
Vernada
AG
A&M Chopper said:

Quote:

Anyone make the plunge for a timberline?
Ordered...to be delivered next week hopefully. Replacing my 7 year old Lil' Tex that's been an awesome little workhorse.
lazuras_dc
AG
I liked the idea of a Traeger but now Have my eye on a Rec Tec after reading. What do you guys think for the RT 300 as far as size for a beginner and may only do 1 brisket or 1 chicken at a time, maybe some ribs- for the family maybe a couple of friends at a time not any huge cookouts or anything.
JarAG2007
AG
I went and got a pellet grill to try out with the memorial day sales. Got the Pit Boss 820 Deluxe for $399. Cooked my first brisket on it Saturday night. 12 hour cook and turned out pretty good. Had to adjust the "p" settings for some extra smoke during the first few hours, but other than that pretty pleased and good smoke ring/flavor.

if anyone has any good recommendations or recipes for pellet grill cooking let me know.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.