Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need Some Help - Tactical Pocket Knife for Fighter Pilot Bro

3,000 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ClickClackAg31
ClickClackAg31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys,

I know this is talked about pretty ad nauseam on here so I'm hoping this won't be too much of an ask (I don't frequent the board as much as I used to).

My brother got me an engraved pocket knife as a Best Man present for his wedding years ago and I still carry it and use it all the time. My wedding is coming up and I wanted to return the favor, however I wanted to go more of the tactical/survivor variety seeing he is a fighter pilot and would be something he would carry when he flies.

Any recommendations on knives (or brands) that would fit into that category would be great.

TIA
Twelfthman99
AG
SOG-TAC Mini

I carry a Smith and Wesson Border Guard 2 Rescue Knife - has a glass breaker and a seat belt cutter, but it is pretty large. May not work well in a plane.

Benchmade Mini Griptilian

Al Mar Black Mini

Schrade SCHA4BG

Benchmade 275 Adamas

maverick2076
Benchmade mini Barrage or Kershaw Blur. If you want to get spendy, Strider Knives makes amazing folders.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Benchmade triage knife?

That or a Boye knife.

(Boye are specialized to cut modern cordage)
DatTallArchitect
AG
Check out Emerson knives! Or go with a SOG Trident
Love Gun
This is what I carry daily...

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--104

It is a very well-crafted knife, and it's only $40.
Juicyfan
Have you considered the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I don't own this knife yet, but it will be my next knife purchase.

I have a Spyderco Sage 2, and it is awesome!

I always thought Spyderco knives where ugly, until I use one, and realize that the function greatly out weighs the form.

This knife is not assisted, but has a locking mechanism comparable to Benchmade's Axis lock which makes deployment of the knife very fast even without the assist.

TAMU77CLAY
AG
Spend more money and get him his last knife- Chris Reeve and have his name put on it.
aggie_wes
AG
Benchmade mini griptilian.
AgEng98
+1 for Boye. I bought one 20 years ago and it's the best I've ever carried.
tx4guns
AG
Emerson Wave

Microtech Ultratech OTF auto
AgAE
AG
Spyderco PM2. I have two of them. Great knives. Hard to beat. If you want something more expensive, get a Hinderer XM18. Or a Shirogorov Tabargan, if you can find them.
Juicyfan
Do you have any experience with the Benchmade 940? I love my 943, and Like I said in my post I'd really like to get a PM2, But I don't know if I would want to carry it over the 943?

Anybody else have experience with these 2 knives?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I had a 940, sold it. Not my favorite.

I definitely wouldn't consider it any type of tactical or work knife.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A Benchmade MPR would also be a good choice.
Juicyfan
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I definitely wouldn't consider it any type of tactical or work knife.

I wouldn't either, which is why I didn't suggest it for the OP'S purpose. But I love it as my edc. I'm just curious how the Paramilitary 2 would function as an edc.
I Am A Critic
AgAE said:

If you want something more expensive, get a Hinderer XM18.
Or go the budget route and get him 15 Kershaw Cryos designed by Hinderer that he won't feel as bad about losing.

BoozerRed78
AG
Benchmade Griptilian. Or the mini-version, if you must. I prefer the full size.
TheVarian
AG
Benchmade Casbah
Juicyfan
I Am A Critic said:

AgAE said:

If you want something more expensive, get a Hinderer XM18.
Or go the budget route and get him 15 Kershaw Cryos designed by Hinderer that he won't feel as bad about losing.

Hindered should be ashamed for having his name attached to the Cryo. Please do yourself and throw that thing in the trash, and get yourself a Kershaw Link. You can thank me later. And it's made in the USA. You are welcome.
aggie_wes
AG
I hope this knife doesn't suck. I just bought one.
Charlie Delta
ClickClackAg31 said:

Hey guys,

I know this is talked about pretty ad nauseam on here so I'm hoping this won't be too much of an ask (I don't frequent the board as much as I used to).

My brother got me an engraved pocket knife as a Best Man present for his wedding years ago and I still carry it and use it all the time. My wedding is coming up and I wanted to return the favor, however I wanted to go more of the tactical/survivor variety seeing he is a fighter pilot and would be something he would carry when he flies.

Any recommendations on knives (or brands) that would fit into that category would be great.

TIA

Another vote here for the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I have this version of the knife:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Paramilitary-2-Knife-Digi--8740

I think this would be the most "tactical" version of the knife with the digicam handles and the black blade which prevents reflections that could be seen by the enemy when the blade is open. The hole in the blade makes it easier to open with gloves on. Also note the weight at 3.75 oz. Thats pretty light for a tactical folder, and it is very comfortable to carry.
Love Gun
aggie_wes said:

I hope this knife doesn't suck. I just bought one.

You'll like it. If you don't, it was only $40.
ClickClackAg31
AG
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I got some homework to do on all these options and then I'll report back with what I ended up choosing and some pocs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.