Outdoors
Sponsored by

Remember Goliad!

10,410 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
GottaRide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
March 27, 1836, was Palm Sunday. One week earlier Fannin surrendered his command of about 400 men to the Mexican army with the understanding that they would be treated humanely as prisoners of war. However, on that Palm Sunday morning those men were marched out of La Bahia at Goliad and brutally executed. Their bodies were left to the coyotes and buzzards. All good Texans remember The Alamo but Goliad often gets forgotten. Remember Goliad!
NW80
AG
Yes!!!!!
Ag In Ok
AG
From Captain Hortons mounted Ranger, captured and then executed at Goliad: Elias Robert Yeamans; Erastus Yeamans

Burn in hell Santa Anna
BCO07
AG
This time of year I always wonder what percentage of current Texans consider themselves Texan first similar to those back then who were Texians before Mexicans.

Edit: this is not a secession derail, rather just a musing as to how attitudes have changed. I would guess that up to wwi it was Texan first and it changed as the country came together at that point.
zarbas77
AG
Unfortunately, I must agree with you that a lot of Texans only remember the Alamo in terms of what they recall about Texas history. Real Texans will remember the "Battle of Gonzales", as well as the Alamo, the Goliad massacre and "The Battle of San Jacinto".

Thanks for posting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SECeded
GottaRide
S
I have always wondered if the reason so many don't know of Goliad is because of how evil it really was. I don't think a lot of people want to imagine or talk about or remember the horror committed on such a holy day. I might be over thinking it, though.
TresPuertas
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Burn in hell Santa Anna
So much this.
dr_boogs
AG
zarbas77 said:

Unfortunately, I must agree with you that a lot of Texans only remember the Alamo in terms of what they recall about Texas history. Real Texans will remember the "Battle of Gonzales", as well as the Alamo, the Goliad massacre and "The Battle of San Jacinto".

Thanks for posting.

HumbleAg04
AG
zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

Lets be honest. San Jacinto was also a massacre and a lot of the rage from Goliad was unleashed and repaid. We call it a Battle because we won the war there but it was a massacre.
Credible Source
AG
BCO07 said:

This time of year I always wonder what percentage of current Texans consider themselves Texan first similar to those back then who were Texians before Mexicans.

Edit: this is not a secession derail, rather just a musing as to how attitudes have changed. I would guess that up to wwi it was Texan first and it changed as the country came together at that point.

I sure as hell do.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

Lets be honest. San Jacinto was also a massacre and a lot of the rage from Goliad was unleashed and repaid. We call it a Battle because we won the war there but it was a massacre.

Nope. The Texians did not perform, and Sam Houston did not order, a mass execution of captive POWs. Please do not cheapen the travesty of Goliad by equating the two.
zarbas77
AG
Amen brother.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie67,74&76
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

Nope. The Texians did not perform, and Sam Houston did not order, a mass execution of captive POWs. Please do not cheapen the travesty of Goliad by equating the two.
Absolutely correct. You cannot conflate the Battle of Goliad with the Battle of San Jacinto by any measure!
The Original AG 76
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

Do not confuse a " reckoning" or even a battle fueled blood lust with the cold calculated crimes of the mexicans.
Mowdy Ag
AG
Add to that the men of Amon King who were executed at Refugio by Urrea before the Goliad massacre.
tx4guns
AG
NM
HumbleAg04
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

Do not confuse a " reckoning" or even a battle fueled blood lust with the cold calculated crimes of the mexicans.

I wasn't trying to imply the actions were equal but 9 fatalities and 30 casualties vs. 600+ is a massacre. I didn't say it was wrong, or try to justify the travesty of the Goliad massacre, I'm just personally amused by the implied glory we put into the word "Battle."

To be entirely clear had I been a participant in the Battle of San Jacinto I'm entirely confident I'd have been standing on the banks shooting Santa Anna's army as they tried to swim away and felt zero guilt about it. In light of the events leading up to the battle its amazing to me that 700+ prisoners were taken and SA wasn't immediately strung up a tree.
fireinthehole
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

HumbleAg04 said:

zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.

A massacre is the killing of unarmed defenseless people. The Mexicans were neither. Sam Houston did not even hang Santa Anna, and let him return to Mexico. As a result, the ******* returned, attacked San Antonio, and took prisoners; subsequently executing many (black bean).
Bobcat-Ag
There was a reenactment of this battle and subsequent massacre this past weekend at Presidio La Bahia in Goliad. We took the kids down and the reenactors did a great job.
'03ag
BCO07 said:

more and more every day.
ENG
AG
thanks for posting.

Here is a pretty good read about it.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qeg02

Quote:

After the executions the bodies were burned, the remains left exposed to weather, vultures, and coyotes, until June 3, 1836, when Gen. Thomas J. Rusk, who had established his headquarters at Victoria after San Jacinto and was passing through Goliad in pursuit of Gen. Vicente Filisola's retreating army, gathered the remains and buried them with military honors. Some of the survivors attended the ceremony.

Quote:

The impact of the Goliad Massacre was crucial. Until this episode Santa Anna's reputation had been that of a cunning and crafty man, rather than a cruel one. When the Goliad prisoners were taken, Texas had no other army in the field (see REVOLUTIONARY ARMY), and the newly constituted ad interim government seemed incapable of forming one. The Texas cause was dependent on the material aid and sympathy of the United States. Had Fannin's and Miller's men been dumped on the wharves at New Orleans penniless, homesick, humiliated, and distressed, and each with his separate tale of Texas mismanagement and incompetence, Texas prestige in the United States would most likely have fallen, along with sources of help. But Portilla's volleys at Goliad, together with the fall of the Alamo, branded both Santa Anna and the Mexican people with a reputation for cruelty and aroused the fury of the people of Texas, the United States, and even Great Britain and France, thus considerably promoting the success of the Texas Revolution.
BigPuma
AG
i totally jacked the hell outta this and put it on books of faces.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
BCO07 said:

Mark Fairchild
AG
As a complete xenophobic Texan I am and always will be for TEXAS first! ALWAYS!!!!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
coyote68
Class of '68. Texan first and always.
zarbas77
AG
I actually think I am seeing, or maybe I just want to see, a shift back to Texans first. I agree that after the great wars, maybe it became "Americans" first. It had to be a great feeling to be an American. To be a citizen of the greatest nation on earth. A citizen of a nation that helped win 2 world wars and put a man on the moon. But with everything going on in the world these days with ISIS, Al-Qaeda and our PC society, some are getting tired of this BS and our seemingly lackadaisical attitude about things. Some remember the history of Texas and remember and salute those who gave everything for this great republic (now our state). So, maybe Texans first will become the new norm. I hope so since we live in the greatest state in this nation.

As has been said many times before. Show anyone from any country, an outline of the state of Texas and they can tell you that it is Texas. And even though they may have never been here, they can tell you about Texas. Whether it is the Alamo, cowboys, hats, horses or whatever, they know something about this great state. Doesn't work for Rhode Island.

If that ain't something to be proud of, then nothing is.
SWCBonfire
AG
When travelling abroad, always say you're from Texas. They know you're an American already.

60% of the time, it works every time.

76Ag
AG
Texan first. Ancestors at the Alamo and San Jacinto, too.
IJones23
I was born in Arkansas, but have always been intrigued by Texas history. Naturally I left Arkansas as fast as I could. I consider myself a Texas first guy.
IJones23
SWCBonfire said:

When travelling abroad, always say you're from Texas. They know you're an American already.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, don't embarrass him."
schmellba99
AG
zarbas77 said:

Thanks for posting.
Don't forget the one that started it all - Quintana
GottaRide
S
Bump
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Nice bump.

Remember Goliad!
Horse with No Name
GottaRide said:

I have always wondered if the reason so many don't know of Goliad is because of how evil it really was. I don't think a lot of people want to imagine or talk about or remember the horror committed on such a holy day. I might be over thinking it, though.
They don't remember it because fighting to the death is much more memorable. . .
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.