Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garden updates

16,143 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JaneDoe02
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the nice vine on the fence?
AgySkeet06
AG
Grapes
Oogway
Cool! Do you grow any other fruit? I notice a lot of folks post pics of veggies, does anyone grow fruit, too?
Build It
AG
Strawberries, limes, lemons, oranges
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
After fighting some
Stink bugs last weekend with a little sevin dust, was able to pick a good amount today. Got them soaking and doing a triple wash. Will probably can them tomorrow.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Lil ATM excited to finally be allowed to pick the carrots.

Oogway
Some pretty good lil gardeners in this thread!
JaneDoe02
AG
If anyone was wondering what happens when you plant your garden months too late, here's some pictures. Everything went in the ground the 2nd week of May.

Chickenhawk
JaneDoe02
AG
Anybody have any updates? I've been shelling peas like crazy. And still getting lots of cucumbers.

I'm going to pull up the black eyed peas soon and I think I'm going to replace it with okra. Anyone else planning a second planting?
Sean98
AG
Deer are coming up into my yard at night and eating a lot of my plants. And my youngest dog has developed a sweet tooth for ripe tomatoes. So I won't harvest much this year in my garden. Pumpkins and watermelons are coming on though.
Build It
AG
tomatoes almost done. Still making a few but sll small and cracking in the heat. Tiny Tims still going strong however. Pulling out the remaining this weekend. Damn stink bugs got in them over the last month and that was a battle. Hand picking them off everyday was best method.

I'm planning a second crop, cucumbers and a bean pole with a couple varieties. Haven't yet picked the planting date yet.
Build It
AG
Speaking of stink bugs I doused the bed with Sevin before I left for a vacation.

Will diatomaceous earth do the same thing?
JaneDoe02
AG
Yesterday I pulled up my purple hull peas, and planted okra seeds in their place. It was hard to make myself pull up the purple hulls because the plants were still alive and had some production, but I know that they were more or less spent.

I planted 2 rows of black eyed peas (California #5) and 2 rows of purple hulls (pinkeye), both seeds were from Burpees. I was amazed at the difference in production. The black eyed peas had more than 2x as many pods. I planted the same number of seeds, watered and fertilized the same. If they hadn't of been side by side I don't think I would have noticed how much better the black eyed peas did.

I pulled up 1 row of purple hulls, so in the picture you can see (left to right) 1 row of purple hulls, one empty row, and 2 rows of black eyed peas. The black eyed peas are still producing and the plants are twice as large. Go figure.
JaneDoe02
AG
I'm not sure if there is something like this for every county, but this is what I use for Brazos. It's very helpful!

http://www.brazosmg.com/pdf/vegetable-planting-guide-for-brazos-county.pdf
Streetfighter 02
AG
Okra are coming on strong. Cucumbers are winding down which is good. I feel guilty for wasting them and I get enough to pickle a couple gallons a week if I can keep them all in good shape. I've probably done 25 or 30 quarts this summer and tossed a couple gallon bags of frozen cucumbers. That doesn't count what grew into huge and yellow fruit while I was on vacation. The dog sitter thought they were spaghetti squash. Shi****os are picking up. Tomatoes are toast for production. I may try and keep them alive for some fall fruits. Sweet potatoes look to be doing well but I don't have X-ray vision.
B-1 83
AG
I'm solarizing a chunk of mine to try and get rid of nematodes. I haven't raised a tomato in 2 years.
Build It
AG
I should have several varieties of pole beans, peas, and cucumbers in the mail by Saturday. Ill use some started tomatoes in the next couple weeks.
They are starting to show up at the garden store.
JaneDoe02
AG
My tomatoes have been a disaster this year. I planted them late (May 9th) and they've turned into big bushy plants, but I've only picked 5 tomatoes. I'm just going to let them go and see what they do come fall.

My Okra that I planted 8/1 is about 6" tall already! Yeah!

My black eyed peas are still producing like champs! Cooked some fresh with dinner last night and they're great!

I'm giving cucumbers away at work because I've canned more than a year's worth of pickles already.

I have 2 watermelon plants that decided to take off and have turned into these ridiculously huge vine-ing things that are taking over one section of the garden. There are several 4" long watermelons growing. (Also started May 9th).

My Jalapenos are still growing and producing, but some of the plants got really tall and they keep trying to fall over. I keep propping them back up. Weird.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.