Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garden updates

16,081 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JaneDoe02
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How you coming along. Getting crowded in mine I may need to thin out some plants.

Build It
AG
The wife way overwatered the strawberry's. They are coming back but looked bad all week. Thinking about puttting strawberrys out in hanging bags. Anyone ever done this?

http://parkseed.com/product.aspx?gclid=CIGH-N_Y9NICFcW2wAodPY0Ghg&p=42009&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc_google_pla&gdffi=27670f48671f48e7ac7c1fdef54a4fce&gdfms=9C0716E14DAA4C31A7C423EA99D9CFB2&ef_id=WM6oLQAABIUQUzZG:20170326172754:s
jtp01
AG
Still 3-4 weeks away from starting. Going to get it all plowed up this next weekend and begin pre watering.

We were 34 degrees here this morning so too early yet. It looks like I'll be building a greenhouse this next summer for fall/winter crops.
Ag_07
AG
Mine is looking great!

Tomatoes are going nuts and have a bunch of blooms on them. Cucs are starting to climb the trellis. Peppers are blooming. Broccoli is getting big.

Plants have only been in the ground 3 weeks but so far things are looking really good.
bedofbrass33
AG
Wow, did y'all buy started plants? I started seeds mid-Feb and they have been in the ground a week. They are only 4-6 inches tall. I was too hesitant to put peppers and tomatoes in the ground when overnight temps were falling into the 60s. Live south of Houston for reference.

Will probably start sweet potato slips this week. Never done them before so I may be way late.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I bought started plants.

Is 60s low? I always use the rule of thumb that if it's done freezing it's time for planting.
I Ramp Ag
Got my first ever raised garden finished on Saturday. Planted (6) tomatoes, (4) Jalapeno, (2) Yellow Bell Pepper, (2) Orange Bell Pepper, (4) Green Bell Pepper, (1) Cucumber, (1) Squash & (1) Zucini. Hopefully this works out. I am in Victoria, TX
AgySkeet06
AG
No current pic, but:

-Still harvesting spinach, the 6 plants are making enough for 2 to have dinner once a week
-Asparagus is emerging, getting 2-3 stalks every other day, a lighter side once a week

Other growings not yet ready for harvest:
-Sweet Corn ( i planted early on a warm week) is about 2 ft tall
-only half my spring carrots are growing
-Noticed on friday 4 of 6 brocolli plants are putting on heads
-Cucumber, young but growing
-Spaghetti Squash, young but growing
-Onions looking good, might need to thin some this week or next
-Bell peppers and jalepenos are blooming
-tomatillo plants, FULL BLOOM with a few about quarter size
-Roma tomato plants...... were looking good but now the leaves are starting to get a rusty brown look...not sure what that means have to research

-After mowing the yard saturday, got a wild hair and planted 9 okra seeds in seedling pots. a little early but figured I'd gamble with a first planting
A.G.S.
AG
I was wondering the same thing!

After trying about 15 different plants last year, decided to keep it simpler this year.

Started corn, squash, and tomatoes inside at the beginning of march. Transferred the corn and squash to the garden last weekend. Corn is about 12", squash is starting to really leaf out. Once the corn gets another 6-12" I'll plant some beans at the base of the stalks. Tomatoes are taking awhile to get mass, so those are still sitting in starter pots.

Was gonna plant some peppers, but I had about 10 spring up from seeds that fell last year (had 2 yr old plants, but the freeze this year finally got em). Not sure if it's the serranos, the jalapenos, or the insanely hot banana peppers, but we'll find out soon enough.

Also have a few sweet potatoes that started up from last years crop (harvested all of em when the freeze killed the vine). And I don't know the particulars about when to plant sweet potatoes, but we had a couple sprout eyes on our counter last September, so I threw in the garden just to see what would happen. The vine took over the entire bed (6' x 20'). Finally harvested em late December. Ended up with about 30#'s, including one that was the size of my head.

3 yr old blackberry vine has been sprouting new growth since mid feb, and finally has some blossoms on it.
12thAngryMan
AG
Is it too late to get started in Houston? Are there any herbs or vegetables that are easy growers for a first-time gardener?
AgySkeet06
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Is it too late to get started in Houston? Are there any herbs or vegetables that are easy growers for a first-time gardener?
Not too late at all, go to home depot or lowes and get some peppers, and or tomato plants (plus whatever you see you like)

I have a cilatro garden in my flower bed that is starting year 3 of being self sufficient. Also have rosemary and basil.

Your first time just play around with some plant in some containers and see how it goes. If it works well then make plans for a more permanent garden next year.
TheVarian
AG
12thAngryMan said:

We just planted tomatillo's and peppers yesterday
Oogway
A keyhole garden!! Looks great!
Build It
AG
Thanks! I figured it was a great way to use all those bricks that have been stacked in that back for years.
B-1 83
AG
Harvesting sweet onions
Tomatoes blooming
All squash (4 varieties) blooming
Cucumbers climbing
Israeli cantaloupe starting to run
Okra knee tall
Romaine lettuce looking great
Still have a few beets
Green beans up
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I'll be starting my raised pallet gardens this weekend.
Streetfighter 02
AG
All of my seedlings seem stunted. Nonetheless I have transferred them into the ground or felt bags. 5 squash 4 tomato 6 cucumber. Started 9 okra by direct sowing. They're germinating now. The rest of my early crops are also off. None of the beets has put off real leaves.
reddog90
AG
Some harvest last weekend from one fall garden. We ate all the banana taters for breakfast the next morning. Didn't get a great crop from the. I have more carrots than I know what to do with. I guess I'll grate some up for the chickens. First time growing onions too, I think they need to stay in the ground until summer?

[url=.html][/url]

Cleaned out the other garden to get tomatoes, beans, and peppers in, and I think I am running late on this. We've been seeing lots of green tree frogs in our yard lately which is new. This one is sitting on my bean trellis after I just cleaned out his garden.

[url=.html][/url]

rwv2055
AG
Just harvesting our broccoli today.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Picked some beans today. Tomatoes are coming along

C Loves L
Currently growing:
Chico tomato
Strawberry
Watermelon
Pumpkin
SunrayAg
AG
Will not be planting until early May. It's supposed to be 32 tomorrow morning.

But my asparagus is coming out strong, and is delicious.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG

Pulled onions up to dry today. 18 so far, about another dozen still bulbing out in the dirt.

Tomatos are going gang buster and should start ripening soon. Carrots about ready to be pulled and peppers are starting to set and grow. Just need the cucumbers to come in and we are set for summmer
Sublette County
AG
Tomatoes are producing huge numbers. Unfortunately the biggest producer has been my Thai Pink Eggs which are grainy and bland...won't be planting those again. The Snow Whites, Husky Cherries, and Cherokee Purple are all tasty.

Already harvested a couple crops of pickling cucumbers with more to come. Will try my first slicing cuke tonight.

Jalapenos and Serranos have been producing well, they're about ready for a second harvest. And after a month of dropping blooms, the Moruga Scorpion is finally growing a pepper! I'm scared.

Watermelon plants are small but growing.
Build It
AG
A few lessons learned.

Big fan of the early girls. No problems and big producer. Roma is producing like mad. Better Boys all in great shape. My one beefsteak so far I'm disappointed but probably my inexperience. Giant grower but not many fruit. I pruning way back and it has seemed to help. Should have pruned heavy from the git go on that one. Very unhappy with the celebrities. Have fought some kind of rust fungus on them all along. Maybe could have sprayed sooner but other varieties not affected.

42 inch cages not nearly tall enough for the early girl, better boys, beefsteak and Roma.

Fought off a fruit worm attack with some loss but seem to have prevailed. Should have sprayed earlier.

Currently at war with a critter that has ate 4 of the very ripest on different occasions. Neighborhood possum?

Today's harvest:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Could be birds eating your tomatoes. I'm fighting with some flipping mockingbirds that like to peck out the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn. I'm having to build a cover to completely keep birds out.
Build It
AG
Additional observations.

Much more fruit on the plants directly surrounding the center compost. Probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Currently in an argument with a fellow Aggie gardener down the street who claims I am not organic. I've sprayed Bt and Copper fungicide. Fertilized with a couple different kind of liquid fert from the garden store. My bed was made from layered compost and top soil with the final 6-8 inch of Miracle Grow raised bed soil.

The argument is the Miracle Grow soil invalidates it as organic. I say bull**** and he is full of envy and spite. Does the business college even offer a science degree? Organic be damned then because my bed kick his arse.

Overall happy with the keyhole concept. I had read where you can plant higher density in this type and its true but a huge pain. I think I would have been better off with fewer plants better spread out and understood pruning for production a bit more.

To date the College of Architecture kicks the Business College ass in tomato growing. Its not over yet so not claiming victory but I have a commanding lead.

ps. strawberry's love fertilizer.
Build It
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Could be birds eating your tomatoes. I'm fighting with some flipping mockingbirds that like to peck out the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn. I'm having to build a cover to completely keep birds out.
Very well could be a bird. Interesting that they have al been in the center of the bed down low. I've plenty so a few for the critter isn't so bad if it remains a few. I could easily teepee some netting if needed as its an 8 foot circle.

And the baddest mofo mockingbird in the land lives in my hood. I've seen him chase off countless hawks this week. Could be him.
civilized05
AG
Found this little f'er balls deep in one of my celebrities. Stuck him in the bugbox along with the tomato he'd been snacking on so the kids could play with him. Debating on letting him moth out for the kids or disposing of him.

Also pulled the first of my okra off the plants. Cooked up some fried okra tonight that was pretty tasty. Should have pulled the bigger ones earlier as they were a tad chewy. The smaller ones were like butter.

I went small this year and only planted celebrities, okra, jalapeos and basil. Not much of a garden, but when I'm the only one who tends it, I wanted to keep it simple for now. So far everything's been growing like gang busters. Also have some strawberry plants that are growing from last year's seeds since I didn't plant any new ones this year. Debating on how many smaller plants I want to sprout from the mother plant before I cut off the runners.

Now I just need to make my own mozzarella cheese so I can have a kick A caprese.
CanyonAg77
AG
You guys in the low country sure get a jump on us up here on the DEW line. Add to that, we've been cooler than nomal, as jtp01 says. But we've managed to get a few things going, not much to show yet. But in the spirit of the OB, I will ask the age-old question.....

How many?

The answer is: Four

Build It
AG
Those little bastages! Daily target practice?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Currently in an argument with a fellow Aggie gardener down the street who claims I am not organic...

The argument is the Miracle Grow soil invalidates it as organic.
If you are using Miracle Gro fertilizer, or their potting soil with fertilizer already added, he is correct. Can't use any chemical fertilizers.

But I'm pretty much going to call bullsheet on organic, in any case.

As far as tomato varities, we lov Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. Produce like crazy, eat them like candy. There is a new related variety, Sweet Million, trying one of those this year.
CanyonAg77
AG
Build It said:

Those little bastages! Daily target practice?
When the kids were little, I used to catch baby rabbits as I was plowing, and bring them home to show the kids. Now all I have to do is start a garden and they move right in.
Log
AG
First haul of the season from the farm last weekend. Spring Satin plums. More berries this weekend, and my apricots should be ready. Methley plums and a few Ranger and Belle of Georgia peaches should be ready mid-June. My tomatoes at my house are doing really well also and are just starting to turn. They're really late this year.

E
AG
Might be squirrels getting to the plants. I caught a squirrel hanging out on top of my big tomato plant digging his dirty hands in a tomato earlier this week then tried and missed him with the air soft gun.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.