Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ever shot a Ruger RedHawk Alaskan?

1,477 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggielandPoultry
AggielandPoultry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wondering if anyone has ever owned or fired one of these. Most interested in the 480 Ruger or possibly the 454/44LC.. Thanks
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I had one in 454. Had Gemini customs tune it up for me, but ended up selling it.

Its a sweetheart in 45LC, the blast from a 454 was a bit silly, though.

Good gun, just a bit heavy - I have a 329NG to carry now, for my larger caliber gun.
AggielandPoultry
AG
I'm wondering if the 480 would be brutal to shoot like the 454? I sorta want one just for grins but if the 480 is a wrist breaker I may change my mind.. I wanted to purchase one in Alaska a few yrs but thanks to laws could not buy out of state..
AggielandPoultry
AG
Been watching youtube vids of these rounds and I think I could handle the 480 just fine.. Anyone else tried either of these rounds?
CTGilley
AG
How do they compare to the .44 mag?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
The 454 wasn't brutal in recoil, but the muzzle blast would blow an empty cartridge box off the bench when I was shooting it, standing.

I was afraid that shooting it without protection would cause serious hearing damage. It made a great 45LC to carry with heavy loads, though.

A heavy 45LC can equal a 44 Mag. A 454 is... 3? Times the energy of a 44?

I think it's irrelevant from a short barreled gun. I don't think a pistol round, other than 460 S&W, 500 S&W or 5.7x28 can go fast enough to would differently than by being a pointy stick, and I think a heavy 45 LC or 44 Mag has enough penetration to work fine on game.

I suppose the bigger rounds can drive a JHP deep enough through a bear, etc.
carpe vinum
AG
Is that the snubnose? I've seen the 454 snubby before, was asked if I wanted to shoot it, and promptly declined.
That just seems like an unpleasant experience.
SECeded
normaleagle05
AG
A buddy of mine had a ?6"? barreled Super Redhawk in 480. I've shot handguns that had more obnoxious/painful recoil but I struggle to think which ones. It wasn't something I'd shoot every day but it sure as hell put a smile on your face to loose a few through that cannon.

If you want something to cast and load for that will give lots of flexibility and enjoyment to include big game thumping power I'd personally go 454. 480 is a hell of a ride but I don't see the point with the super short barrel.
AggielandPoultry
AG
Maybe I can find one to test fire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.