Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question - Under 21 Possession of a handgun

1,296 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Sun
tamc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really looking for a strong interpretation of what the law says after I went to the range today with my 18 year old. Was talking with the range officer away from him while he was shooting. RO tells me he has to be 21 to be able to shoot by himself due to "possession requirements". No issues if that is the law or the range rules.

My understanding is that he cannot buy one himself until 21, but can be otherwise gifted (thus possess) when 18.

Any guidance is appreciated.

IBombedTheMoon
AG
RO might have been enforcing house rules, did he insinuate that it was law?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Cannot buy from an FFL before 21, can be gifted or buy from a private party.

RO sounds like your typical know it all who doesn't know jack.
tamc93
AG
IBombedTheMoon said:

RO might have been enforcing house rules, did he insinuate that it was law?
RO made it sound like law... I politely questioned him and I saw him talking to other RO's. Basically stated, he could legally shoot a rifle at the range, but not a handgun without me being in the lane (I was 15-20 feet away and visually in control).

Again, if it their rules - fine - but odd that they would let him come with a rifle and shoot by himself (which he can legally purchase).

Just trying to understand the law...
CharlieBrown17
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Cannot buy from an FFL before 21, can be gifted or buy from a private party.

RO sounds like your typical know it all who doesn't know jack.

EOT
dubi
AG
Our LE/military son got his CHL at 19. We gifted him a pistol.

Range is full of *****
tamc93
AG
Thank you all for the feedback and confirmation of my general understanding... still looking for the specific law.

I reread the ranges rules and they only discuss 17-under, but I also have to comply with RO's requests (again his understanding was it was the law and we complied).
BenderRodriguez
AG
tamc93 said:

. still looking for the specific law.

Not a lawyer.

That being said,

46.06 deals with unlawful transfer of weapons:
Quote:

intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;

As far as I know, there are no other Texas laws that deal with possession of firearms by anyone of any age, and the under 21 restriction on FFLs selling handguns is a federal law.

ETA: Since I'm sure someone will read that and freak out about letting a minor shoot a gun on the range or gifting a .22 to their 12 year old:

Quote:

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(2) that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent.
Puryear Playboy
AG
RO is typically uniformed. (uninformed...Damn it!!...Guilty.)

Want to see his head explode? Explain to him that an 18 year old in possession of an active duty or reserve military ID can get a TX LTC and carry.
tamc93
AG
Puryear Playboy said:

RO is typically uniformed.

The one I had was "plain clothes" but still uninformed . Another one had an "official Range Officer badge"...

Bender - Thank you for the law - that helps.
The Sun
Puryear Playboy said:

RO is typically uniformed. (uninformed...Damn it!!...Guilty.)

Want to see his head explode? Explain to him that an 18 year old in possession of an active duty or reserve military ID can get a TX LTC and carry.

Also that an 18 year old can keep a handgun in a vehicle without an LTC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.