Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hiking packs for dogs

1,010 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recommendations? We're taking the dogs with us on a 3 day hike in a couple months and they'll need to carry their own food, b/c I'm not adding extra weight to my pack. They've done plenty of camping and hiking before, but we've never taken them on a multi-day backcountry trip before.

and for rule #1:

hurleyag
AG

I have the Mountainsmith K-9 Pack. It works well, but don't try to use the latch on the pack for the leash.
AggieOO
if you need to leash up, you just use the collar?

our boys normally use harnesses, but they could easily wear one under that.
hurleyag
AG
I do. We tried the packs latch and she almost pulled out of it.
aggiebonzo
AG
http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack_4?sc=2&category=13

We got the L/XL for our German Shepherd. The durability on Ruffwear products is top notch.
AgEng06
AG
I completely understand the need and utility... but I laughed a little at the idea that "my dog's gotta carry his own sh*t".
AggieOO
AgEng06 said:

I completely understand the need and utility... but I laughed a little at the idea the "my dog's gotta carry his own sh*t".
reddog90
AG
Ruffwear Approach for us. Basically just carries his own food, bowl, leash and he goes off leash. Pack has to be balanced to ride well.

[url=.html][/url]

idk how to make these damn [url= crap go away using photobucket
AZAG08
AG
AgEng06 said:

I completely understand the need and utility... but I laughed a little at the idea that "my dog's gotta carry his own sh*t".

My dog carries her own water and collapsible bowl on long walks
oneeyedag
We have a Kelty for our Border Collie. She carries her own water, treats, food, collapsible bowl, and a ball or frisbee.
frorge
AG
Though I've never tried it, I would imagine my pup would do nothing but try and get into that pack once she new food was on her back. We would be going nowhere in a hurry!
AggieOO
frorge said:

Though I've never tried it, I would imagine my pup would do nothing but try and get into that pack once she new food was on her back. We would be going nowhere in a hurry!

i'd be worried about that if we weren't on the move, but the dogs are generally distracted when on the trail.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.