Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone ever bring their own fishing gear to Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora?

5,777 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cheezag03
cheezag03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some of these resorts have complementary kayaks and paddleboards so I was thinking it would be cool to do a little casting on my own every now and again.

Not looking to fish right out of the room but paddle away in the lagoon away from the others. Just some C&R. Not looking to be super-productive.

Will probably take a charter at some point, but nothing beats taking off on your own direction.
Cancelled
AG
I'd sit on my bed and fish. Seriously.
hurricanejake02
AG
From what I saw when I was there last year, there's not a lot of reef near that resorts that is very far from the rooms/common areas.

Also, in Moorea, the dropoff as you get away from the island is deep and quick. Like 8ft at the front door of the over-water bungalows and 40ft at the back door.

We spent 4 nights in Moorea and 4 nights in Bora Bora. Looked at a lot of fish while snorkeling and scuba diving, but didn't see anything that I just really wanted to catch on a line.
reddog90
AG
OP - where are you staying in BB?

hurricanejake- Where did you stay?

I'll be at the Hilton in Moorea and Sofitel Private Island in BB in August on my honeymoon. I am trying to decide if I should bring my fly gear. I think there will be better fishing opportunities at the sofitel for me. But there are baggage restrictions on interisland flights that I am a little concerned about.
cheezag03
AG
reddog90 said:

OP - where are you staying in BB?

hurricanejake- Where did you stay?

I'll be at the Hilton in Moorea and Sofitel Private Island in BB in August on my honeymoon. I am trying to decide if I should bring my fly gear. I think there will be better fishing opportunities at the sofitel for me. But there are baggage restrictions on interisland flights that I am a little concerned about.
woman's trying to convince me to do the intercontinental. My wallet is saying sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit!

hurricanejake02
AG
We stayed at the Pearl Resort at both Moorea and Bora Bora.

Booked the whole package through Costco - pretty good deal, really.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) Why not? Seems worth it just to try

B) So as someone who may be bordering on confirmed bachelorhood, I may not have the right priorities, but why spend that long on a plane to an island and not at least wet a line
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
We stayed at the IC Thalasso Spa. I'm not sure it would be the best spot for using your tackle; there is some coral around the bungalows, but it is spread out in a spit here or there. Most of the bottom was comprised of sand. The only area that had significant coral was the area in front of the chapel, but I'm thinking fishing would be highly discouraged there. There is a coral barrier on the other side of the motu and I'm guessing the fishing on that side would be much better. It is accessible from the resort grounds. Truthfully, I think you would have better luck from the IC Le Moana. Don't wander too terribly far off the beaten path though, most of the island has stray dogs in uninhibited areas and they can be aggressive.
cheezag03
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

A) Why not? Seems worth it just to try

B) So as someone who may be bordering on confirmed bachelorhood, I may not have the right priorities, but why spend that long on a plane to an island and not at least wet a line
This is my line of thought everywhere I go
cheezag03
AG
I fished Moorea just across the inner-reef channel from the sting-ray and shark feeding area. I needed hard baits as every bite tore up my natural looking swim baits (I think they were Storm). Got my bites at the transition of the channel and flats with scattered coral. I would bring some hard suspending lures, spoons, bucktails, et

Beached the kayak on the little island out there and waded the surrounding flats fishing the potholes around the scattered coral and swimming baits just over the coral. Its hard to read the fish guide posters online as they don't want to zoom so I'm not sure what these are, but these are images I found of the two species I landed. Had a GoPro battery issue so these aren't my pics.

The black and blue grouper looking fish

On my way back in I was fishing the transition on south side of the channel and hooked into something that ran and ran. Guessing some sort of jack. Things were going well for about a minute, but I was drifting out into the fast moving channel and the fish was running up on the flat. Guess it ran through the coral and broke off. Called it a morning and went to see if the wife was ready. Tried the evening for a little while with the GoPro now functioning, but the tide seemed to just have too much movement.

Never got out in Bora Bora, but like rocket surgery said, there was little to no cover at the IC in Bora Bora. I did like the snorkeling outside of the reef and the coral gardens though. Never thought swimming with the sharks in Moorea and Bora Bora would be so low on the intimidation scale. You find yourself seeking them out.

I bought the Plano telescoping rod case at Academy with a 7'6" two piece rod. I could fit this rod in the case without having to telescope it, but I think you can put a one piece 8' rod in it. United in Houston let me carry on and put in a closet in the front of the plane, but the **** in LA made me check it for $25 on the way back home. Air Tahiti made me check it, but at no charge since it was water related. It was checked on the inter-island flights as well with no problem other than my wife bringing the whole house.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.