Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old Barnwood questions

2,136 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by sunchaser
milkman00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a buddy with access to an old barn to be torn down that also dabbles in woodworking in a northern state. Can anyone help him learn how to identify old chestnut lumber? Is there much demand for it?

Also, on a different project, does anyone have any interest in an old barn in central Texas, or know who I can sell it to?
giddings_ag_06
AG
I've got a friend that owns the antique store in Paige and that's her main project is tearing down and buying old barns and then reselling the wood. I can get you her number or you can find it on line if you want. She's easy and great to work with. Her name is Jessie
Horse with No Name
Alright, I'm the friend, but I couldn't post earlier about this. . .

Here's the deal, the barn I'm working in will be burned to the ground tomorrow. My best guess is that it was build around 1900. It is in Michigan. There is some strange looking wood that comprises most of the beams and much other flat boards as well. These boards are wide (10-12 in) and sawn with a circular sawmill--not the really old hand-hewn timbers. They are hardwood, not soft pine (the exterior siding is soft pine.) Some of the beams have a bark on the corners that is slick like beech. Many of the boards have burrowing insect marks like the emerald ash borer, but finer in nature. I'm wondering if maybe these are chestnut beams/boards, and whether it is worthwhile to dive in with both feet to salvage more of this extinct lumber or not.

It kills me that they are burning this sucker, it is still sound, but cest la vie. . .
CanyonAg77
AG
Idiots.
Log
AG
Chestnut has a "coarse" looking grain, looking similar to ash. By "coarse", I mean you can see a clear distinction between the rings, especially when looking at flat sawn edges.

Why the heck are they burning it? There's a lot of money in salvaging old barn wood, especially hardwoods and heart pine.
cmag
Kinda sounds like a gold mine.
cmag
I'd trust someone named "Log" in this area.
SteveBott
AG
I have a friend who does nothing but this wood work in central Texas. Email me at steve@stevebott.com and I will connect you to him.
PFG
AG
Does indeed sound like a gold mine. And from someone who's building a home soon and would like some reclaimed timbers....I has checkbook if you get the beams.
Horse with No Name
Am I the idiot? Not sure why.

I spoke with the owner today and was told the wind expected to be to high tomorrow so the burn is off. Another few days to go picking, I guess.

Steve, I'll try to get some pics to you. There's a couple of pretty beams, but I'll be damned if I win a Darwin award getting this lumber.

Log, the big grain is what got me thinking this might be chestnut, but I've only ever read about it. I'm not sure why they're burning it, only that they're older and busy and want it gone. They've encouraged me to get all I can.
CanyonAg77
AG
Idiots are the ones doing the burning. I didn't think that was you.....
SteveBott
AG
My guy will not be interested in Michigan but will be for the Texas structure
Log
AG
You should tell them that there are companies that will come out and deconstruct the barn for them for free. If you Google it, I bet there are some in your area. It'd be a shame to see some old growth hardwood timber go up in flames because the owners are impatient/lazy.
milkman00
AG
Been some long days. Will follow up with yall on Monday. Thanks.
sunchaser
AG
One of my son's started buying houses in a fairly small town that were delinquent on the tax roles for decades. They tore a bunch down and turned the lots over to the city. Renovated others. Was averaging a purchase price of around $500.

One was a two story doctor's house that had been abandoned for over 40 years. He discovered that it had three layers of wood floors down stairs and up stairs as well as more on a variety of walls. He brought some home. I dug the nails out of pieces and planed them off. Beautiful wood.

Flooring people said Don't touch it! Leave all the paint on it! Roughly $30,000 from one house.

Ultimately bought the house his Mom was born it. Recovered those floors and installed them with some backup in the ranch house and it turned out fantastic.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.