Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boat Questions

1,402 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by drmwvr
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last week I bought a used pontoon boat. The guy I got it from had no owners manuals for it.

How do I find out what the fuel tank capacity is? I've looked on line and I can't find any specs for it It is a 2007 BeachComber and from what I see, they went out of business a few years ago. I found some specs for 2003 models and they all seemed to have 18 gallon tanks, so I'm assuming that mine does as well; but I'd like to know for sure.

What type of gas cans does the OB use for their boats? Same kind as you do for your lawnmower, ATV etc? Or are there special spouts/cans for filling boats that are on the water? I'm keeping it at a marina and I will be refilling it at my marina slip (no gas pump on site). I'm not trailering it each time I use it so I can't just stop in a gas station.

Is boat insurance mandatory?
RK
AG
you can select different models here. not sure if it has your specific one or not...

http://powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_vehicle_compare.asp?vehicle2=179142&year1=2007&mfg1=871&vehicle1=42611&go2=Go
FSGuide
Thanks!

that one says 25 gallons.
I think I need to find one of the marinas on the lake with a pump.
IslandAg76
AG
Buy a 6 gallon can with the appropriate hose/connection to fit your motor. Go run your tank dry, hook up the 6 gallon tank to get home. Then fill up the main tank and see what you get.

Might consider changing the fuel filter on an older boat after you run the tank out.
CanyonAg77
AG
Can you see the tank and measure it? 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches
GatorAg03
AG
Boat insurance is not mandatory (unless your bank requires it if you have a note). If it's an old boat I personally wouldn't mess with it. You are still generally covered on damage by your car insurance if you were to have an accident while in tow.

Everyone has a different opinion on value of insurance though so make your own decision on what risk you are comfortable with.
SabineAg
AG
Fill up tank. Fill up spare gas can. Run it dry. Fill back up. Take note of how many gallons were needed to fill back up.
FSGuide
CanyonAg77 said:

Can you see the tank and measure it? 1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

Can only see a small portion of the tank. Majority of it is internal.
CanyonAg77
AG
Okay, then running it dry and refilling seems to be your best bet.

If it's been sitting for a while, your very best bet might be putting it on a trailer, using a siphon or electric fuel pump to pump out all the gas, then refilling from empty. Good way to get rid of bad gas.

A mechanic I know has an electric fuel pump plumbed into a boat gas tank fitting. He would pump out gas tanks pretty often.
Salt of the water
AG
Lugging around 4 or 5 gas cans doesn't sound fun. Could you do a truck bed tank? I'm sure it'd eventually pay for itself compared to marina gas prices.
Rexter
Just drill a hole in the bottom of the tank, drain it, plug it, and see how much it takes to fill it. This will help down the river when you get water in the tank. You'll be able to drain it.
MouthBQ98
AG
There are cart tanks available but they are pricey and heavy at higher capacity.

Sounds like you need 4x5 gallon plastic cans.
FSGuide
MouthBQ98 said:

There are cart tanks available but they are pricey and heavy at higher capacity.

Sounds like you need 4x5 gallon plastic cans.

One of my buddys has a portable cart tank. I think it holds 14 gallons. I helped him fill his boat at his lake house this summer, It's pretty handy for sure. I saw them priced on Amazon for $149. This might be a good option for me since I guess marina gas is probably not cheap. I'm still kinda leaning towards a few 5 gallon regular jugs.
JayG80
Don't pour from the 5 gal cans. It is slow and leads to spills. Go to Amazon and order a Super Jiggler Siphon. If there ate 2 diameters available then go with the larger. Best way to go. Fast and clean.

I've also heard good things about VP Racing Fuel cans.

HUEY04
AG
We use 5 VP Racing gas cans for the boat and jet skis, threw the rest of the california compliant guaranteed to spill everywhere cans in the trash.
MouthBQ98
AG
Does the lake have a dock fueling station? I used to get gas at conroe gas stations all the time.
drmwvr
AG
I use a Sure Can gas can. Best portable can I have ever used.

https://www.surecanusa.com/

Always better to buy gas away from the water as you won't be paying a "marine-grade" premium. Also, try to find an ethanol free gas station and use that as it's more stable and less harsh on your fuels system and motor.

As far as insurance, for $189 per year, I get (With an agreed value of $20k for my '03 Boston Whaler):

$500k liability
$500k uninsured boater
$5k per for medical
$1k contents
Towing up to 75 nautical miles from the coast
Trailer breakdown assist

Now, I got some discounts due to this being part of my coperhensive insurance plan but I'd say this is a no brainer.

Enjoy your new boat!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.