Outdoors
Sponsored by

Why are we upset about killing wolves and bears in AK?

2,914 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FrontPorchAg
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's all over my Facebook and I can't find any non HSUS inspired type articles about what the reasoning is for whatever congress supposedly passed about it.
schmellba99
AG
Not sure on the wolves to be honest, but I think the uproar over bears is that the state decided to either make it legal or continue it being legal to kill a bear during hibernation.

Gotta admit that shooting a hibernating bear, outside of extremely dire circumstances, doesn't seem to have any logical sporting requirement to it and a hibernating bear is certainly not a danger to humans or pretty much anything else.

Wolves have always been a touchy subject, I'm sure a lot of it is pure emotion.
IDAGG
AG
I am not sure about the upset over wolves in Alaska other than I believe some of the killing involves shooting from airplanes so I am sure that upsets someone's sensitivities.

Here is some data as of end of 2015 (for Alaska)

Quote:

Alaska
(not protected by ESA)

7,700 to 11,200
Seems they have a fair amount of wolves in Alaska.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/aboutwolves/wolfpopus.htm:

wareagle044
Yeah I thought it was always legal to shoot a hibernating bear in Alaska if sustenance was the required goal. Does this new bill make it legal on Federal lands?
Windy City Ag
AG
I have read the story two ways . . .

The first revolves around relatively recent Obama era regulations (2015 and 2016) that override local Alaskan State game and wildife laws. Some of this is simply a rebuke to Federal Agencies wanting to supercede state and local groups.

It is also a clash between animal rights groups and preservationist groups like the Sierra Club against those wanting to effectively manage animal populations. The locals find predator maintenance is beneficial for elk and moose and other species so they reserve the right to cull back Bears and Wolves.

At the center of it is the image of animals getting snuffed while sleeping soundly which outrages all sorts of folks.

The Alaskan position is that Bears and Wolves have plenty of state level protection in place so the Federal statutes were redundant.
AggieGunslinger
AG
If all I care about is putting meat in the fridge, shooting a hibernating bear is just fine with me.
CanyonAg77
AG
OP sounds like he has some Facebook friends like a friend of my wife. She's big into animals and conservation groups, and since Trump, it's been a constant barrage of TRUMP IS KILLING THE ENVIRONMENT ANIMALS AND OLD PEOPLE.

I've been pretty effective at merely blocking the groups whose posts she keeps sharing, but I'm close to just blocking her.

It seems obvious to me that these groups are using Trump as a boogeyman to scare up donations. Quite tiresome.
AgEng06
AG
schmellba99 said:

Not sure on the wolves to be honest, but I think the uproar over bears is that the state decided to either make it legal or continue it being legal to kill a bear during hibernation.

Gotta admit that shooting a hibernating bear, outside of extremely dire circumstances, doesn't seem to have any logical sporting requirement to it and a hibernating bear is certainly not a danger to humans or pretty much anything else.

Wolves have always been a touchy subject, I'm sure a lot of it is pure emotion.
Wolves and bears are both "charismatic megafauna", and are often used in arguments based on emotion.
This question is actually pretty complicated. I believe that the correct answer is and always should be that the decision should be made at the most local level possible. The federal government makes decisions not on the basis of science but on the basis of politics (for instance, requiring lead free ammunition for hunting migratory waterfowl).

I'll opine on the issue for Alaska as its the on I have more knowledge of, but I'm definitely not an expert. The way it was explained to me was that in the areas where wolves hunt around Denali National Park, there are only one or two safe entrances to the park where the wolves can go to hunt. So all trappers/hunters need to do is set up in these highways (not actual highways) and they can trap/shoot to their delight--to the point where the species is non-existent in the area and actually starts to affect the overall eco-system. So it's not a simple issue of hunters rights vs. animal rights.

I don't have an answer. All I'm saying is that politicians in Washington DC shouldn't be making decisions like this that have real life consequences for the people who actually have to live (and survive on in some cases) with the consequences.
AgEng06
AG
26.2 said:

I'll opine on the issue for Alaska as its the on I have more knowledge of, but I'm definitely not an expert. The way it was explained to me was that in the areas where wolves hunt around Denali National Park, there are only one or two safe entrances to the park where the wolves can go to hunt. So all trappers/hunters need to do is set up in these highways (not actual highways) and they can trap/shoot to their delight--to the point where the species is non-existent in the area and actually starts to affect the overall eco-system. So it's not a simple issue of hunters rights vs. animal rights.
The answer in this case, I believe, is to manage the wolf hunting/trapping as a big game species like all other big game in AK. Sure the hunters/trappers will have easy pickings of wolves, but only up to a pre-determined quota or season length.

Edit to add: I think it should be managed at the state level, not federal.

Quote:

I don't have an answer. All I'm saying is that politicians in Washington DC shouldn't be making decisions like this that have real life consequences for the people who actually have to live (and survive on in some cases) with the consequences.
Completely agree.
IDAGG
AG
AgEng06 said:

26.2 said:

The answer in this case, I believe, is to manage the wolf hunting/trapping as a big game species like all other big game in AK. Sure the hunters/trappers will have easy pickings of wolves, but only up to a pre-determined quota or season length.

Edit to add: I think it should be managed at the state level, not federal.

Absolutely the right answer. And to the issue of trapping/hunting in the wildlife highways you mention, there is an easy solution to that as well. I assume Alaska has game management units. Just restrict or outlaw wolf hunting in the game units affected. It's pretty dang easy really.
schmellba99
AG
Managing at a local level just seems like a bad idea to me. State levels or regional levels withing states seems like a better method of managing.
ursusguy
AG
I would argue that management at the local level would be driven emotion, and higher level is driven by science.

The sudden resurgence in the interest in increased predator control is NOT based on the best science.
wareagle044
CanyonAg77 said:

OP sounds like he has some Facebook friends like a friend of my wife. She's big into animals and conservation groups, and since Trump, it's been a constant barrage of TRUMP IS KILLING THE ENVIRONMENT ANIMALS AND OLD PEOPLE.

I've been pretty effective at merely blocking the groups whose posts she keeps sharing, but I'm close to just blocking her.

It seems obvious to me that these groups are using Trump as a boogeyman to scare up donations. Quite tiresome.

I've got a few, this topic is something I've seen multiple post about and I knew nothing about it other than to assume they were pushing some sort of skewed misinformation per usual. Sometimes I am up for a Facebook fight, but this one I didn't know enough about to even comment.
ursusguy
AG
Personally, and professionally, I do not support this change in policy.

Wildlife management decisions based on decisions of elected officials has a habit of backfiring.
coyote68
If you kill it, eat it. Exception: if it is trying to kill you, kill it. No eating required.

That is my professional and personal judgement. I am a Lifetime NRA member and love to hunt.

If you kill a bear, eat it! Every bite!
average_joker
AG
I hear bear can be tasty. No personal experience though.
CanyonAg77
AG
average_joker said:

Paging ursurus
AgEng06
AG
average_joker said:

Just be sure to cook it thoroughly...
FrontPorchAg
average_joker said:

I have some really good black bear jerky in the cabinet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.