Outdoors
Sponsored by

First AR Build (Thanks EyeGuy)

3,329 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
AverageJones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finished up my first AR build, hope to have it out to the range tomorrow afternoon. It's a 6.5 Grendel from EyeGuy who also answered several of my very stupid questions without making me feel like a complete dumbass. Parts list below:

Texian upper/lower
ALG trigger
Magpul ACS-L stock
Odin Works 20" barrel
Odin Works keymod FF rail
SilencerCo muzzle break for whenever my can comes in (submitted July 2016)

Mr. Dubi
Nice. Would you care to share why you picked the Grendel?
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Glass?
AverageJones
AG
Leupold VX-2 3-9x40
AverageJones
AG
Needed a new hunting rifle and wanted one for long range plinking, the grendel does both pretty well. Also just wanted to build one, and I've already got a 5.56 and .300 blk
BreNayPop
AG
Nice!!!!
Toothpaste
AG
Nice rifle!

I'm in the process of my first build right now and would like to pick your brain when you have time. Also using EyeGuy as a resource, or rather my primary resource.

DatTallArchitect
AG
Much like the OP, I am building a Grendel because of the versatility of the round. I've read where it outperforms the .308 out past the 800 yard mark (If I recall correctly. It's somewhere in that neighborhood).

Thats a fine looking rifle, OP! Congrats! Hopefully I will have mine finished soon.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Think you mean 6.5 creedmoor.

ETA or that you read 6.5CM out performs .308 past 800 yards.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Maybe, but I havent done any research on the Creedmore (since it won't work with an AR-15). I'm 90% sure it was the Grendel, as it mentioned it wasn't until you got to about the 800 yard mark. What little (and i do mean little) I know about the Creedmore, I would think it would beat it a 308 even at 200 yards. Am I wrong?
CharlieBrown17
AG

Ballistic chart that comes up when googling .308 vs 6.5 Grendel.

I mean it's possible certain loads or maybe at certain barrel lengths the 6.5G keeps up. But like you mentioned you can run them in the same frame. That's because the .308 is a much bigger round, Grendel is 6.5x39 while .308 is 7.62x51.

I'm not really well versed on Grendel but I'd expect it to fall in between 5.56 and .308, not to out perform .308.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I believe what they were talking about in the article was accuracy, not knock down power. Then again, I read a lot if magazines, so it could have been an article on the Creedmore.

That graph intrigues me, as the Grendel is still supersonic at 1,000 yards. I'm curious now what the .307 is at that range.

I do remember reading a few years ago that the Grendel comes the closest to achieving the single round objective that the military would like to get back to. Instead of having to have two separate rounds.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Like I said, I don't really know the 6.5G that well. I don't really have a need for it personally, but I can see it being a good round if .mil wants more firepower per rifleman.
dr_boogs
AG
Nice looking rifle OP. Another successful OB eye guy hook up!
AverageJones
AG
Feel free to ask away if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
Nice build! Here's my first on the opposite end of the spectrum, just a suppressor (any day now), and a hand guard away from being complete. 300BLK

Caliber
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Nice. Would you care to share why you picked the Grendel?
One of the biggest reason to go Grendel over other AR15 rounds these days is Wolf and others entering the ammo market.

You can get sub $0.30 steel case ammo for plinking and have some great choices at a $1.00 or less for hunting and longer range shooting, handload and you're even better off. It does a really good job of maximizing the AR15 platform. If you want better ballistics out of a semi auto with factory available ammo, you pretty much have to go up to AR10.

The above is basically why I just swapped a barrel and bolt into one of my ARs. I wanted an AR15 sized gun with a better range than 5.56/.223 for hunting and just shooting out to 600-800 yards.
Theblondewonder
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Just keep in mind regarding steel case... most of the barrels out there are stainless because Grendel was built for accuracy. If you're running steel case you will wear your throat out faster. I think those from wolf are steel jacketed bullets. Not something I'm personally going to run through my grendel with an SS barrel.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh, and average jones... it was a pleasure to do business!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.