Outdoors
Sponsored by

Went Skiing at Monarch Mountain!!

2,820 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TommyGun
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This past Spring Break I went with my church group (Aggies for Christ) at A&M Church of Christ and road tripped up to Monarch Mountain! It was a fun little mountain. We even hiked up to the Double Black Bowl terrain which was pretty tough. Online it says it's a 15 minute hike but I'd like to meet the person who got up there that quickly because it took me and my buddies (who are in pretty good shape) about 30 minutes lol. Anyways, we had a blast and if you have 2 min 45 sec to kill check out my video!
La Fours
AG
Nice. I took my family skiing there last week as well.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I spring break ski tripped it to Red River when I was in college (and after). Great times, enjoy them bmac. And you've got a good group with Christ at the center...I wish I had had that focus when I was in college
stdeb11
AG
Nice...I got engaged there Saturday up on the Divide

Oh, and ski skins is how you get up there that fast...
bmac_aggie18
AG
I've been to Red River a few times, I'm big fan of that resort! Also have made it to Angel Fire and Taos with Taos probably being my favorite! It's a great group to be apart of, super thankful for it!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Probably so! Lol that one blew by me. Congrats on the engagement! Our whole group actually sawed em off up there on our last day Wednesday, really beautiful being able to see 300 miles in any direction
stdeb11
AG
Thanks! Yeah it's a cool mountain and cool spot up top, really cool to saw'em off there. Definitely a hidden gem compared to the big fancy resorts up here...I'd love to move down to that Salida area one day

Sounds/looks like a fun trip and glad you guys had a good time!
MikesFamousJava
AG
I went skiing for the first time in my life last year (at age 46) at Monarch, and loved it. Went to Monarch again this year and had a blast. It's the only mountain I've done, so I can't compare it to others, but I love the size, etc. The group I go with is considering Taos next year, but I wouldn't mind doing Monarch again.
txaggiefarmer05
AG
Never ski New Mexico when you can ski Colorado.
carpe vinum
AG

Greeze06
AG
What kind of skis are you strapped to?
bmac_aggie18
AG
I'm 6'2" so I should probably have a pair around the 170-180 but I like 160s cause I like turning with ease. As far as brand goes I don't remember lol I just took what rentals I got and went with it!
ccard257
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

I generally agree, with Taos being the exception. Love that mountain.

Monarch is a great little mountain. Did y'all stay in salida?
TommyGun
AG
txaggiefarmer05 said:

Never ski Colorado when you can ski Wyoming.
SunrayAg
AG
A few years ago I took my wife up there in October to see the aspen leaves changing colors. We stopped by the Monarch lodge, and asked about getting a room. I guess the family that owned the place lived near by, because they said, "well, we don't have anybody staying right now, but sure thing".

So they rented us a room. And we were the only people staying there. We got up to our room, and a few minutes later the phone rang. It was the same lady at the front desk, and she asked if we had eaten yet, and if we wanted her to open the restaurant. I said don't go to too much trouble on our part, and she said no trouble, and read me a list of 3 or 4 things that would be easy to cook for us. So we went downstairs and ate.

Then we had the pool and the hot tub all to ourselves. The back deck to watch the sun go down, all to ourselves.

It was really awesome to have the run of that big lodge.

And no, I didn't go crazy and start chasing anybody with an axe...
NoahAg
I learned to snowboard on Monarch (jeez, nearly 20 years ago). Very convenient for road-tripping from Texas. No traffic nightmare like the Summit County resorts.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Yeah we stayed there with Wilderness Expeditions!
bmac_aggie18
AG
70 is a nightmare. Last season I stayed with family for free in Denver and we drove to Loveland every day (awesome mountain) but it was 3 hours round trip which we did for 3 days...never again will I drive that far every day on 70 to ski, I'm paying for a lodge next time lol
SouthLlano
AG
Nice vid! Looks like you had a lot of the runs to yourself. I've never skied Monarch.
South Llano
Stive
AG
SouthLlano said:

Nice vid! Looks like you had a lot of the runs to yourself. I've never skied Monarch.
If you've never skied Monarch you're missing out. The main downside to skiing there is that you can't stay on the mountain, but the drive up from Salida each day is only about 20 minutes and isn't bad at all.

The snow is incedible every year, it's never crowded,and the mountain has a decent variety of runs for almost all levels of skiers (if you like to ski the really hard stuff it doesn't have many double blacks).

Now that I've said that.....everyone stay away from my mountain!
cr06gis
AG
I learned to ski at Monarch when I was a kid. We had family friends in Salida so we spring breaked there through my childhood. Lots of great memories. Great mountain too!
Max06
AG
Spending the week in Crested Butte, CO. Hard to beat CB, IMHO. Plus the fly fishing is phenomenal.
La Fours
AG
Max06 said:

Spending the week in Crested Butte, CO. Hard to beat CB, IMHO. Plus the fly fishing is phenomenal.
From what I can tell, the fishing around Salida is pretty incredible too. I saw lots of folks fishing the Arkansas River when we were driving up.

My only complaint about Monarch has to do with the main lodge building. It's too small and gets super crowded. Getting a table/seat at the lodge can be a hassle. The mountain itself is not a problem with crowds and skiing. Especially if you ski the mostly blues and blacks. Plus, like mentioned before, the snow is always awesome.
T Durden
AG
Is that a go pro video? I ask because I took some video of my kids skiing last week and the resolution stinks. I have it set to 1080p and 60 frames per second. Not sure what happened.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Cresset Butte is one of my top 3 along with Jackson Hole and Breckinridge as to where I'd like to skii. I did see a few anglers out on the Arkansas which is definitely somewhere I'd like to fish or camp. I have been white water rafting there which is one of the funnest things I've ever done!
PorkEatingCrusader
Stive said:

SouthLlano said:

If you've never skied Monarch you're missing out. The main downside to skiing there is that you can't stay on the mountain, but the drive up from Salida each day is only about 20 minutes and isn't bad at all.

The snow is incedible every year, it's never crowded,and the mountain has a decent variety of runs for almost all levels of skiers (if you like to ski the really hard stuff it doesn't have many double blacks).

Now that I've said that.....everyone stay away from my mountain!
This is true! Monarch is one of the hidden gems of CO skiing. My cousins live in Salida and I grew up skiing there. But it's MY mountain so back off!!
FrontPorchAg
TommyGun said:

txaggiefarmer05 said:

Never ski Colorado when you can ski Wyoming.
TommyGun - go easy there. Everyone needs a place to practice before they go to Wyoming. We just call it Colorado.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Yes it's the GoPro Hero 5 Session. I film it in 4K edit it in GoPro Studio on a computer that doesn't let u view it in 4K and it worked out great! Are you editing it through GoPro?
bmac_aggie18
AG
You ever done Corbetts?
T Durden
AG
I've only viewed it on my son's iPad. Maybe that is the issue. I need to transfer it to my pc. He has a session 5 as well, but the setting was 1080 and 60 frames per second.
TommyGun
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

You ever done Corbetts?

Haven't done Corbets. I don't have the skills to huck the cliff into it and I don't want to be that guy who skids down the south face and plows all of the snow off the landing area. I personally think if you're going to do it then you should do it the way Barry Corbet intended and jump into it. It is fun to ski under it and watch folks come down. For most people their skis make it to the bottom before they do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.