Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help with a Tree id

2,084 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Allen76
TxA&Mhunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this tree while doing hinge cutting and habitat work. Not sure what it is I'll post a few pictures hopefully some one knows.
Found in low area that's a branch of a creek in lavaca county.

Taken before it bloomed

Smaller version of the tree bark
TxA&Mhunter
AG
The foliage

Neches21
That is a Rusty Blackhaw
http://www.arborilogical.com/arborilogical-newsletter-articles/tree-species-profiles-top-rated-ornamental-trees-rusty-blackhaw/
TxA&Mhunter
AG
That looks right.
I am not familiarwith them. Do the have any Habitat functionality for deer and turkeys?
Neches21

Quote:

That looks right.
I am not familiarwith them. Do the have any Habitat functionality for deer and turkeys?
You didn't read the article I linked did you?

"The ripe fruit hangs in clusters and is a favorite of wildlife. Said to taste like raisins, the fruit can be eaten raw, cooked, or made into jelly"

TxA&Mhunter
AG
It didn't pull up right on my phone, so I missed that. I'll def check it out when I get to the house! Thanks for the info!
Neches21
Also read this:
http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/18/rusty-blackhaw-excellent-deer-browse/

Also keep in mind that good habitat is a healthy and diverse ecosystem.
Selecting vegetation solely based on its benefit to deer and turnkey may not always lead to the best ecosystem. Trees that may have no forage quality to deer and turkey may be highly beneficial to prevent soil erosion thereby preserving streams or may provide cover.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
So this loooks like the same foliage however the big tree is over 30 ft tall most descriptions of rusty blackhaw are small almost shrublike... and short trunked.. I'll have to do some digging.

I agree with you on the diversity... I don't hinge cut a tree unless I know what it is, and it serves a purpose .
A lot of what hinge is hackberry, and other trees that produce copious amounts of stump sprout or suckers.
Neches21
This website says they are usually 20 feet tall or less but can get up to 35 feet tall. Give it a read. If that's still not it I have no idea.
http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/treedetails/?id=130

Current state champion is 27' tall with a circumstance of 69". If yours is bigger than that you may have a new champion which you should submit to the Texas big tree registry
two1993ags
Agree rusty Blackhawk. Recently bought some land in western fayette county and also found 30' tall trees along creek bottoms. I grew up in the area and had never noticed one in fayette county before..,and I'm an urban forester so i normally look for unique trees when in the woods.
two1993ags
69" circumference would be 20+" diameters...that's why that tree is state champ. Champion trees are rated on several different attributes. Height is just one of them.
water turkey
Is that where mayhaw jelly comes from?
Neches21
Quote:

Is that where mayhaw jelly comes from?
No. Mayhaw Jelly comes from the berries of a mayhaw tree

Allen76
AG
I like the fact that it is a Texas native and is very adaptable. I have never seen one around my place. But the next chance I get I am going to buy one if I can find one from a native tree source, just to see if it will grow at my house.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.