Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tree pollen

1,290 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by toolshed
BradC34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a proper term for the piles of tree pollen (or whatever it is) filling up the gutters in BCS at the moment?

I ask because I spotted a pile that was smoldering and smoking so I stopped to pour some water on it and stomp it out. I want to know the right term for when I'm patting myself on the back.
Apache
AG
It's not the pollen you are seeing, it is called a catkin - The worm looking flower cluster of oaks, willows, hickory/pecan, etc. The pollen is the yellow crap released from those catkins all over my truck right now.

There are also female flowers on oaks but they are small - right at where the leaf buds off from the stems. That's where the acorns will form.
bam02
AG
Good job, catkin-pile-fire-stomper-outer.
BradC34
AG
Thanks for the answers and, as a native of the Panhandle, I know what smoldering anything can turn into on a windy day. Just wanted to do my part to save the world.
bam02
AG
I learned something new, too. I always thought that stuff was the pollen, too. Just thought it dried out and broke down into the powder that has me driving a lime green car lately.
aftershock
bam02 said:

Good job, catkin-pile-fire-stomper-outer.

Were you meaning to sound like a Real Men of Genius commercial? Because I definitely read it that way.
rilloaggie
AG
As a fellow former panhandler I take solace in knowing that there are others like me that find things like trees and large bodies of water confounding!
carpe vinum
AG
This is some fine internetting fellas. Good job.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Glad I'm not the only one
toolshed
AG
Alls I remember is pistil and stamen...always got a giggle out of that during plant biology for some reason!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.