Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pasture check for Herbicide Effectiveness

1,692 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Allen76
Allen76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying imgur for the first time.... Photobucket really has problems right now... hope this works.
First image is a "Success" image of Dead Mesquites. This grove was too large and too thick to see through about 5 years ago. Last year I finally got to the middle of it, wiping it out.

This is a "Failure" image of resprouting after Sendero application last year.

Another Failure image of mesquite resprouting

Grass! This area is almost solid rocks under that grass/forbs. It also was infested with mesquite 3 years ago.

Cactus failure after last years Surmount application. There are not many of these. I see about 100 dead ones from the road, and only a couple of re-sprouts. Lyons with Texas Agri-Life says they think cactus kill has a lot more to do with water intake than it does temperature and time of year.

Pasture Road... if it is a little wet I drive on one side and come back through on the other side so the tires dont break through the sod too much. This area is also extremely rocky with heavy clay soil.

Overall, the spray application last year did okay. I made progress. The more mesquites you kill the easier it gets to maintain.

Max06
AG
So what is your question?

Are you expecting 100% kill on first application?
txags92
AG
To get imgur to display, use [ img ] and [ /img ] without the spaces inside the brackets on either end of the image link to get it to display directly. But I think you also need to use the direct link to the image file. Should be one of the options you can copy from the imgur page after you upload.
Allen76
AG
No question. Just making a post of Sendero and Surmount results..... getting ready for foliar spraying time. For me that is about May 20th on through the summer. But first, I drive all of my roads so I can come up with a game plan.... which is what I was doing here.

This will be my fifth year of spraying Sendero (that is how long it has been on the market). It has been doing a better job than the old Remedy/Reclaim mixture, which I have sprayed on my own place since 1986, and my family's place long before that. So no, I am not expecting different results, just showing them to Texags. It always seems to generate something to help spread knowledge on the subject.
SWCBonfire
AG
1. I would say your "failure" pics look pretty damn successful for foliar application on mesquites of that size. You're NEVER going to get complete kill, but that's some damn impressive control if what's dead stays dead.

2. I've never seen *****ly pear resprout after spraying, ever. But then again, I've never used surmount. Broadcast applications of P+D around 3/4 to 1 pt/acre mixed in with a pint of 2,4-D has always destroyed them in the past. You could always spot spray with Tordon 22k (picloram), or even diesel and remedy works if your out basal spraying mesquites.

I would check your lot number of the surmount you bought and contact Dow. That's crap. Was it cold or fall when it was applied?
Allen76
AG
SWCBonfire said:

1. I would say your "failure" pics look pretty damn successful for foliar application on mesquites of that size. You're NEVER going to get complete kill, but that's some damn impressive control if what's dead stays dead.

2. I've never seen *****ly pear resprout after spraying, ever. But then again, I've never used surmount. Broadcast applications of P+D around 3/4 to 1 pt/acre mixed in with a pint of 2,4-D has always destroyed them in the past. You could always spot spray with Tordon 22k (picloram), or even diesel and remedy works if your out basal spraying mesquites.

I would check your lot number of the surmount you bought and contact Dow. That's crap. Was it cold or fall when it was applied?
Yeah Surmount (Picloram+Flouroxypyr) is supposed to be one of the best for cactus. It does a pretty good job, but I used to get almost 100% kill with just the old Remedy/Reclaim mix for mesquites. The cactus are just pretty easy to kill. I dont have that many so it is not a big deal. But my little Klein Grass hay field was totally surrounded with *****ly pear a couple of years ago. There were probably 400 plants that I killed with Surmount. And I was a little surprised to see this cactus resprout.

Edit: no it wasn't cold or fall. I spray Surmount in between Sendero applications in May/June/July.
SWCBonfire
AG
Quote:

Lyons with Texas Agri-Life says they think cactus kill has a lot more to do with water intake than it does temperature and time of year.

Well, when you broadcast spray it's generally in late spring/early summer while the weeds are growing, makes sense that they would have to be uptaking nutrients and in growth mode for it to work. Remedy & diesel works in the summertime when it's dry, but probably not cost effective other than for the one or two you come across when spot spraying mesquites & huisache.

CanyonAg77
AG
edited since you fixed your links
Allen76
AG
Test: this is a partially finished creek dam and bridge I am building with field rocks.

Upstream is on the right. I made a "dam" but it still leaks a little underneath it. So I am expanding it so I can drive over the whole thing. After I drive on it enough times and add some small gravel and mud, maybe it will seal off the water flow.

Thanks for the help on Imgur... I finally found the "Get Shared Links" and then find "BB Code (Forums) and click "Copy",
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.