Outdoors
Sponsored by

Did I miss out on the state record book?

3,796 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This past weekend (at the last minute, you may have seen my dilemma on the Devil's River thread), I ended up kayaking the Llano near Junction with a few buddies. The first fish I landed on Friday was what appeared to be a decent Guadalupe Bass. I caught it on a Zebco 33, cheap rod throwing a Zoom Pumpkin Chartreuse Lizard top water. I'd conservatively estimate >2lbs/18".

Yeah, yeah, forced perspective and all that. Caught, photos, released. No formal measurement or weigh in, just happy to land a beautiful fish.

I was informed tonight that I needed to check out the record. Turns out, the record Guadalupe Bass on the Llano is 1.25lbs/11.8". http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=1347
I had no idea it was that low.

What says the OB? Have I misidentified the species? Did I screw up by not doing more to document the catch?
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks like a guad, but you have to be careful it isn't a Guad-smallie hybrid on some waters, or a spotted bass on others.
schmellba99
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I caught it on a Zebco 33, cheap rod throwing a Zoom Pumpkin Chartreuse Lizard top water.
I am calling complete and utter BS on this part. If I have learned anything from this board, it is that there is no possible way ever that you could have caught anything with such lowly non-flyfishing equipment. Hell, your lure didn't have mammoth and sabre tooth tiger hair and doesn't have some name involving the word "booger".

Ergo, you are a liar.
Mr. Nobody
MouthBQ98 said:

Looks like a guad, but you have to be careful it isn't a Guad-smallie hybrid on some waters, or a spotted bass on others.
Should be good in the South Llano. The Nueces (which has an introduced population of guads that may have been a genetic lifeline for hatcheries to grow pure guads) is also a safe place to catch non-tainted fish.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Yall saw through me. My setup was definitely nothing like the Yeti Devil's River promo video.

On the bright side, I guess this is another reason to plan a return trip!
water turkey
Bring a genetic testing kit with you next time.
Aggielandma12
AG
No aggie ring
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

No aggie ring
It made the trip, but it was in a zipper pouch. I was not going to cast it off my finger into the Llano.
Aggielandma12
AG
I'm just BS you. I take mine off for all water activities.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Nice fish!

To clarify, you may have missed out on a state water body record.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Nose fish!

Good point. The statewide record is certainly larger than 1.25lb/11.8"
schmellba99
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Nose fish!

Good point. The statewide record is certainly larger than 1.25lb/11.8"

3.71 lbs, 17.25"

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/staterecords.php?env=FW&age_group=all&list=0&browse=Submit
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I really wish I had measured and weighed my catch...
Kenneth_2003
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I really wish I had measured and weighed my catch...
Looks like you need to go back...
harge57
AG
Fyi. I am pretty sure you have to take it to an official weigh station. At least we did for the 3 lake records I have been involved with.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

Quote:
If you don't see an Official Weigh Station in your area, any certified scale can be used to weigh a fish for a record application. Contact a local game warden or check the telephone directory for businesses that have certified scales and may be willing to weigh fish. Places to try include marinas, bait shops, feed stores, recycling drop-off centers, and United Parcel Service or other package-shipping stores.

Certified scales (electronic or spring type) have been certified as accurate by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) or a licensed scales calibration company.* Certified hand-held scales may be used for verifying the weight of your catch if the weighing is observed by an independent witness. If a scale is certifiable but does not have an up-to-date annual certification, an angler may submit proof that the scale was re-certified within 30 days of the weigh date.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/programs/fishrecords/scales.phtml

Looks like there are some other options. I need to add a certified handheld scale to my tackle box.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.