Outdoors
Sponsored by

Killing Texas Rat Snakes TPWD Question

3,074 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ontheedge
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have chickens and I've had numerous rat snakes after them forever. I got to the point where I collect them and relocate them on my place far away. I hate killing things trying to survive and I moved into his home, anyway. However, a neighbor of mine who is really into wildlife said that there was some directive or something that said they are on a list or something. TPWD said they are over populated and now damaging other species and that I should be dispatching rat snakes.

Does anyone know about that for sure? I couldn't find anything from a cursory search online and I only have a handful throughout the year...Just want some clarification.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am going to call BS.

If there is an overpopulation of Rat snakes, there's an overpopulation of their prey (rats, rodents, etc.). The species wouldn't be thriving without an over abundance of prey.

So if the population is deemed too high, by someone in TPWD, they are admitting:

(1) they have a rodent problem
(2) they are more worried about the threat of disease spread by snakes (salmonella, etc.) than that of rodents (like Hanta or any other serious diasease -- although some linked to fleas on rats)
(3) they're ******ed for the reason above
(4) they don't understand the correlation with population density and high prey population

Not a biologist but this doesn't pass the smell test.
rather be fishing
AG
I pretty much like all of my neighbors but I don't trust many things they tell me for a reason.
wheelz
AG
Maybe he thinks you said Timber rattlesnake instead.
ursusguy
AG
They are a "white list" species, which for your purposes means pretty much nothing.

Never heard of this idea.
BrazosDog02
AG
Awesome. Thanks, all! It made no sense to me either and frankly I forgot about it until I saw my first rat snake yesterday, pardoned of course. They are super nice...Master gardeners and master naturalists through TAMU. They mean well. Like me, they have wildlife exemption. That's why I asked. They are likely more in the loop than I am...But like I said....I want to ask here to ensure I'm well informed before I launch a misguided crusade.
MizooAg94
AG
No shortage of rat snakes here. If they get near our poultry and we can kill then, we do.
ToddyHill
AG
I suspect anything that is a nuisance to livestock can be dispatched in any manner. Just my opinion though.
BrazosDog02
AG
Damn...the OB network goes deeper than I thought. It actually showed up at my door once it heard the news!

ratfacemcdougal
(laughy face I do not get (want to pay for)
Scruffy
AG
Use mine
ttha_aggie_09
AG
#ratsnakelivesmatter
EMY92
AG
That's a good looking pup.
BrazosDog02
AG
Thanks! She is displeased with the guest. It appears to be a mutual feeling.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dude....here's ANOTHER one.

I JUST relocated the first one from today.

rather be fishing
AG
You must have one hell of a mouse population.
BrazosDog02
AG
It's heavily wooded.....Mice, rats, frogs....It's like Snake Luby's.
ontheedge
I always like the comment "moved into their home" because the human race was automatically put into cities when we came into being. My opinion.

Sorry for your problem OP but had to mention, this is our planet too. I use to be their neighbor also and just had to deal with them. I did kill some when they came around my shop. I didn't want to be running my table saw and have one crawl up my leg during a rip. Never had chickens though. Finally got a couple of cats and the problem became almost non-existent. Of course cats like birds too but that is another subject.
BrazosDog02
AG
My phrase was stated purely due to watching people move into an environment and then immediately destroy everything around them to suit them with zero regard for anything outside of 'themselves'. Don't misjudge this post. Its NOT a problem. I live where I live to see exactly these types of things. I get to teach my kids that we aren't the people that kill everything that crawls or creeps or slithers because we don't like it or understand it or have some irrational fear of it. I'm the guy that mows and leaves the patch of weeds that make pretty flowers. LOL.

You are most correct in saying that this is "OUR HOME"...and perhaps I should change my phrasing.

By the way, I picked up the snake with a pitchfork for placing in a box. I'm glad I didn't use my hands for this one...he was a stinkin' SOB.
ontheedge
If my statement came across as a condemnation I apologize because it wasn't meant to be. I had the same opportunity as you with the kids and nothing is better for them IMO. Having that situation creates an environment for teaching no doubt. Even my wife got to where she wasn't freaked out by them. None of the critters ever paid my taxes or mortgage though. Have a great rest of your Friday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.