Outdoors
Sponsored by

Caterpillars in my yard

1,148 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Badace52
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed a bunch of these tonight when I was watering. Good or bad? Kill them or leave them be?

EFE
AG
Monarch caterpillar?
magnumtmp
AG
Seor Chang said:

I noticed a bunch of these tonight when I was watering. Good or bad? Kill them or leave them be?

Do you like Crappie?
carpe vinum
AG
None are good for gardens in that form, but both moths and butterflies will help pollinate in another week.
Señor Chang
AG
I think the plant they are on is a Gardenia. I have two of those in my yard, and those were the only two plants I saw them on. There was probably a dozen on each plant. Any reason they were attracted only to those plants?
skippythemagnificent
AG
Good. Leave them be. They'll eat that milkweed, transform, and fly away.
12f Mane
AG
I believe they only eat milkweed, which will grow right back. Leave them be.
C4D
AG
Its gonna be a butterfly bra. They have to have a food source as a catapillar. And yes thay can kill the host plant, but not always. Depends on numbers i think. Its worth it to me. I plant plants in my flower gardens every year for the sole purpose of hosting caterpillars .

worried about the plant but like butterflies? Buy another of the same plant they are on, put it in a pot and place it next to the original plant. They will move over and presto you can move the potted plant across the yard.

magnumtmp
AG
C4D said:

Its gonna be a butterfly bra.

Your punctuation is off, but I'll allow it.

Badace52
AG
Those are monarchs for sure. Leave them alone and watch the show. Their chrysalis is beautiful in it's own right and turns clear right before the Monarchs come out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.