Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bears are outdoors

3,587 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ursusguy
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got an invite from a buddy of mine in the DNR to tag along on a bear den survey. I jumped at the chance. I love bears and this was a special opportunity that not many folks will have.

Gearing up, getting a bead on the bear's location via vhf collar, setting up the tranquilizer, etc.

We had a relatively short hike by WV standards... just up the side of a mountain about a quarter mile.

We stalked up silently and identified the den site. She was in the rootball of a fallen tree, on a comparatively warm south facing slope, oriented such that the cold north winds would blow opposite the opening. She's a pretty smart gal.

I stayed at a reasonable distance while the dart gun was readied... It reminded me of the old Mutual of Omaha shows I watched as a kid... While Jim wrestles with the crocodile, I remain in the safety of the Jeep...

The shot was true and found the neck of this nine year old sow in her winter den

Colin grabbed her ear several minutes later to reposition her head and she rared up, growled and bared her teeth. "We'll give her another minute" he said.

Down she finally went, with a bad case of the shakes, but was out like a light.

We got a weight on her (190 lbs). She's probably lost 30-40 lbs over winter. Checked her tattoo... got her a new ear tag and checked her radio collar.

She had three cubs, estimated birthdate of January 20 of this year, each about 4 lbs. Two females and a male. After she went down, my boy and my buddy's two sons were allowed to climb the hill and participate.

It was a cold 26 degree morning, so the cubs pretty well snuggled in to stay warm with anyone that was willing, even this grizzly old male.

It didn't take long, we stuffed her back in her nice warm den, snuggled the little ones in, and hiked back out. We slathered the little ones with Vick's Vap-o-rub to mask our smell.

Apparently, she'll wake up none the wiser.

GatorAg03
AG
Awesome!
AgEng06
AG
Awesome.

And who knew you were a snuggler?
JYDog90
AG
Very cool. Never seen anything like this at all. Never even seen a bear den. I'm thankful you shared it.

One question: Do they not smell Vicks?!
AggieChemist
AG
The vick's overwhelms their nose so they can't smell us. It's like nosejammer for bears.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That's downright awesome.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Glad you were able to snag a cub! Luckily you didn't need Ol Yeller's help.

La Fours
AG
That's awesome. And even better that your son got to come with you.
Sean98
AG
Much awesomeness in this post.
barney94
AG
Man that is cool
ENG
AG
very nice
mpl35
AG
Damn cool
Texmid
AG
Very cool. Thank you for sharing.
AggieChemist
AG
Sean98 said:

Much awesomeness in this post.

Well, it's not drinking beer and burning your yard, but I try.
AZAG08
AG
Great pictures too
suprafly03
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really cool!

You should post the pictures (without you in them) on the Houston Board, titled "Conroe Bear"... and then just watch the ensuing panic
La Fours
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Really cool!

You should post the pictures (without you in them) on the Houston Board, titled "Conroe Bear"... and then just watch the ensuing panic
ursusguy
AG
Very cool. Makes me miss bear work.

My job was to see how close I could get, without the bear being tranquilized to measure level of habitation....and with no gun
Duck Blind
AG
Damn that's awesome!
Alte Schule
What everybody else said. Awesome! Would love to participate in something like that myself.
SWCBonfire
AG
My little girl loved the pic of the cubs. Thank you for taking the time to detail that for us, that was amazing.
giddings_ag_06
AG
ursusguy said:

My job was to see how close I could get, without the bear being tranquilized to measure level of habitation....and with no gun

Dude, I don't know about you sometimes....
BCO07
AG
ursusguy said:

Hey guys, hold my beer and watch this sh*t
carpe vinum
AG
Pretty neat.
ursusguy
AG
Keep in mind, I really don't drink. The habituation testing was just part of the job. Some I rarely saw, some I could damn near wack on the head to get a reaction (one old boar I had to literally wake up a couple times). I talked about it before.

AC was able to provide one of the coolest experiences I could imagine for his son. I'm going to shut up and let him revel with this thread. Damn good job.
Ag 11
AG
Awesome
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!!

World mama have abandoned (or killed) the cubs had she smelled your scent on them?

Thanks for sharing!
ursusguy
AG
It's a bit twofold. The effort is mildly traumatic to the bears, the vicks will help mask the human odor. This helps reduce that stress, and reduces the minor chance she would abandon. Main thing, it smells strong and it is thick and gooy. The sows spend quite a bit of time cleaning their cubs. The Vicks trigger the sows to lick the cubs clean. By the time they are done, they are back to smelling like her cubs (that's how they know their own cubs, they basically smell themselves on the cubs).

They use the same trick on sows to take to get them to take on cubs as a surrogate if the mom disappears in some manner. Find a sow with similar sized cub/cubs, wait until she wanders off/run her up a tree/knock her out, slather up all the cubs in Vicks. By the time she is done cleaning them up she doesn't her cubs vs. the new additions.
SteveBott
AG
Fascinating.

AC good job being a dad. Love these thread.
Texas 1836
45-70Ag
AG
Very cool. Seeing the den would almost be as cool as seeing the bears.
aggie67,74&76
AG
Cool.
bkag9824
AG
Would love to know how biologists came to using Vick's. What else was used prior to, etc.?
ToddyHill
AG
Awesome post AC.

Had no idea a sow would have three cubs. Wonder if she has enough milk for all three?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.