Outdoors
Sponsored by

Outboard Maintenance Question

3,691 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by sunchaser
sjislepilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a lot of mediocre advice on this thread. I feel like people are just throwing out random stuff that has happened to their engine at one point in time in their life or another. So I'll play along and preface with that I'm a heavy DIY and engine problem solver. Based on the actual SYMPTOMS and HISTORY Going from running well in January to a bad idle now it sounds like you're describing that you need a thorough carb clean focusing specifically on the jets.

A flush isn't gonna do much for what you need at this point in time. If it were me, since I'm also cheap, I would not buy new ones. Just run copper wire through the old jets. Also used compressed air and do a very thorough job. Downside is if you do a bad job you may miss the obstruction in jets and still have the problem when putting back together (then I'd do it again). So if money isn't an object you could just buy carb rebuild kits for all-then you know for sure.

sunchaser
AG
The fuel filter is a good start but my first look would be whether or not you have a latch type fuel connection on the engine. If so the portion that fits over the male end has an "O" ring inside. I would replace the entire fuel hose and eliminate that concern.

It's a boat...you throw money at it.

One of my Shallow Sports had a raised deck...approximately 1' We had deflating issues for several months....replaced the entire fuel line.....didn't work. Ultimately we fixed it by relocating the bulb inside the console. For some reason it didn't like the height difference. I don't remember if we raised or lowered the bulb but we never had another issue.
JLN90
AG
Replace fuel line and bulb pump if it has one.. If you are using a plastic red tank replace that too. That should fix it.
Pescado Borracho
Are some of you saying that the way the fuel line is run from the tank to the engine and the location of the primer bulb in that line can affect how the engine idles?
sunchaser
AG
I'm saying that is what was happening in my situation but that was in a brand new boat. Don't see that in an older rig or it would have been rectified.

It's been too long but "I believe" the fuel hose came from the fuel tank up thru the opening in the raised deck. It continued running to the upper right side of the console. The bulb was up high. The hose went back thru the chase.

I think they simply ran the hose around the top of the raised deck. It could have been happenstance but I never had another issue.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.