Outdoors
Sponsored by

Healthy Hearing Act

8,245 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stasco
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k00bz said:

I haven't seen it mentioned but in addition to sound suppression, silencers also reduce muzzle rise and allow me quicker follow up shots. I consider that a huge benefit if I had to use my weapon to protect my life.
It's also reasons not usually stated publicly because the gun control advocates use that as reasoning to completely ban them.
Stasco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ragoo said:

maverick2076 said:

Gota De Limon said:

I haven't considered this subject longer than the time it took me to read that article so I really don't have a dog in this fight. I've been a lifelong shooter, hunter, gun enthusiast, 2nd Amendment defender, etc, etc. I spent so many of my high school weekends sitting behind a table at gun shows working for my old man that I lost count of the days.
All that stated, it seems to me the "let's do this for hearing protection" angle is about the most contrived and transparent argument you could have conceived as a means of arguing for the legalizing of silencers (sorry, suppressors will always be for "flashes" as far as I'm concerned). Pretty weak argument and the examples provided in the story are squarely at odds with the logic used in just about every other pro gun argument.

Hearing protection for the shooter and others around them is LITERALLY the single biggest benefit of suppressor use. There is nothing contrived about that.
ear protection technology already exists though. You can literally go to the store and purchase devices that cover your ears and muffle the sound to almost nothing. It is really quite amazing.

So now what is the argument for a silencer?
That I like to be able to hear things when hunting?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.