Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me pick a router and dovetail jig

1,316 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
Whoop04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a total newb to routers and want to expand beyond my pocket jig for joinery. I picked up a Dewalt compact router the other day on an impulse b/c it was on sale for $99 but I am considering returning it. Is a compact router better for dovetails? What kind of jobs will it be too weak for? It also doesn't fit a 1/2 bits. How limiting is this?

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B0048EFUV8/2/ref=ask_dp_iaw_ql_hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx1CQLAI6TK7MS6

For the jig, any suggestions? I would like to spend around $150 or less. Well, I would like to spend a lot less than that, but am concerned that I will end up with a crap product that I can't fit and just throw away.
kingj3
AG
Following!
Whoop04
ttt for the woodworking crowd
Aggietaco
AG
If you don't get any good feedback here, I'd do some research on r/woodworking. I'm interested in the responses as well because I'm under the impression that any of the sub $200 jigs are junk. The Leigh jig is one that I've seen recommended before and I think it's in the $400 range.
Corps_Ag12
AG
This sounds like an agrams question
cadetjay02
AG
If you ever want to get into raised panel stuff, you need a 1/2". Can you mount a compact router on a table?
Whoop04
cadetjay02 said:

Can you mount a compact router on a table?

My understanding is that it mounts identically.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It depends on what you want to do. Compact is great for small round overs on finished projects but you're not going to be able to remove a lot of material with it. A good place to start is with a 2.25Hp porter cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DCBK0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490235983&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=porter+cable+router&dpPl=1&dpID=41oD9HLU9iL&ref=plSrch
And then a small stand like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000022425/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490236112&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=porter+cable+router+stand&dpPl=1&dpID=41UJ%2BnNA0yL&ref=plSrch
You can probably find one these on ebay used. I'd be Very wary of buying a used tool online unless you can see it in action to make sure it's not burned up.

If you want to make raised panels and turning the big bits you're going to need a full table and a 3.25 HP router or a full on shaper. The 2.25 HP with a small stand and a plunge base is a great place to start. If you intend to do dovetails you'll need a dovetail jig or you learn to cut them by hand.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.