Outdoors
Sponsored by

To do as a hobby and educate yourself for later in life

6,574 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JD05AG
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to do an apprenticeship to do a skill like welding, repair electric items like lamps etc or learning to be a master landscaper, Gardner etc.

What have you done or doing to make life more enjoyable and maybe do after retirement or to have an early retirement.
zooguy96
Gardening (learning now in my 40's). Next, fixing up an old car / truck and also construction projects around the house once we buy.
aggieband 83
AG
What I like about Master Gardener is the spirit of volunteerism. Scoll down to where you can read about the "volunteer commitment". Besides learning about landscaping, lawns, gardening, etc., you get to help people. You help with your talent & knowledge. Talking to a bunch of young kids at a county fair is rewarding. Showing them how one seed becomes a sapling and how that sapling becomes a tree. They are inspired, You will be also.

Good Luck!

http://mastergardener.tamu.edu/become/
malenurse
AG
My wife took the Texas Master Gardener class through the Ag Extension Service. Most counties offer the course. She really enjoyed the class.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Handmade knives!

I watched a couple Walter Sorrels vids on YouTube and I got bite by the bug.
Average Joe
AG
I've wanted to get started doing this for about a year now. Between family and school I haven't been in a financial position or had the time to start. I really think it's something I can become good at doing.
SunrayAg
AG
It's up to you. Pick something you like, and get good at it. I took up fly tying a few years ago, and figured I may make a few bucks in retirement doing that. Probably won't, but I like doing it.
EFE
AG
Learn to weld, best advice I ever received, and the best I can give.
Average Joe
AG
Growing up I actually thought at one point it might be building fences. My grandfather loved to build fences for people as a side job (always had two or three jobs anyway). He taught me a lot of what he knew until he got sick and passed. I've done a few since but it was never the same.
jagvocate
AG
Distilling whiskey
Burdizzo
AG
Winemaking
Tx-Ag2010
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Handmade knives!

I watched a couple Walter Sorrels vids on YouTube and I got bite by the bug.

This!!! It is pretty addicting... Plus you end up with knives that can be passed down for generations.

Walter Sorrels and Ekim knives have some pretty good info.

I just finished making my third chefs knife last week.

highvelocity
AG
I think I just found my newest hobby
stdeb11
AG
Working on old motorcycles and cars. Lucky enough to worked in machine shops all thru college (machine, welding, etc) and to have after hours access to those tools at my current job. Capable enough to rebuild engines, weld on frames, etc. My office mate and I occasionally kick around the idea of flipping old bikes and cars on the side. If only I could ever actually sell some of the junk we fix.
javajaws
AG
What happens when you get the welding bug AND the knife making bug? Well, you make your own belt grinder!

Welding, woodworking, and basic electricity/electronic knowledge are pretty universal skills that can be used and combined in many ways. I've used all three in numerous projects over the years that maybe one day I'll put to use as retirement auxiliary income. But as long as I can make good money sitting at a computer I'll keep doing that!
fido00
AG
Where can I learn to weld? I've tried to look into a class or two to get the basics but it seems the classes available are geared towards a career.
SECeded
aggolfer
AG
fido00 said:

Where can I learn to weld? I've tried to look into a class or two to get the basics but it seems the classes available are geared towards a career.
Local CC continuing education classes. But I learned by buying a decent setup and watching youtube.
javajaws
AG
fido00 said:

I picked it up from various Internet/YouTube sources. Try http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ for starters. I do solely MIG welding currently, but I would love to try TIG sometime.
agrams
AG
Woodworking. Love doing it. The most enjoyable parts are meeting a bunch of ags, making something from a sentimental tree that means more than just being an item, and helping peoples ideas come to life and coming up with new designs.

I never had any training or background though, just kind of made mistakes as I went and did lots of reading. An apprenticeship would be cool at one of the traditional schools. There are a few 1-2 week classes at places that focus on certain aspects such as handtools, carving or other finer points that would be cool.

I often joke with my wife that the average age of members of the woodturning club I go to is 'retired', she says I have old man hobbies..
johnmyu
If I can carve out the time, have considered learning sword polishing (togishi) as I have some contacts in Japan that make and maintain swords professionally. Going rate is ~$100/inch in the US for a polish. Something to do on the side that aligns with my interests.
Salt of the water
AG
My woodworking skills pale in comparison to agrams but I make a little side money doing custom wooden floating shelves. I find wood work relaxing and you can undercut furniture store prices significantly and still make some decent money.
The Fall Guy
AG
Thanks for the responses. Welding has always been something I wanted to try. Never though about youtube.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Custom fishing rods.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I also reload my own ammunition. Pistol calibers for the economy of scale. And rifle calibers for precision ammo. You really never save any money, but it is a ton of fun for me tweaking loads and experimenting.
raidernarizona
Golf! A lot of y'alls sound like WORK.
Doc Hayworth
If I ever retire, I will probably use some of my Chemical Engr. Knowledge to continue turning, beer, bourbon and wine into urine.
Cancelled
AG
At my tri two weeks ago, I saw a 72 year old doing it...that'd be kind of cool to be in that shape at that age.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
Casting lead bullets & reloading
TwoMarksHand
AG
IBombedTheMoon said:

Casting lead bullets & reloading

I forgot about casting. That is my next adventure.
Burdizzo
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

If I ever retire, I will probably use some of my Chemical Engr. Knowledge to continue turning, beer, bourbon and wine into urine.

I practice this craft daily.
A.G.S.
AG
javajaws- Got any more pics of that belt grinder? Curious to see the other side.
GatorAg03
AG
Right now I'm on a land management kick. Learning about food plots, fruit trees, native vegetation, etc.

In the future I would love to learn under an outstanding chef. I can hold my own for table fare, but I process all my wild game myself and what I catch or kill is the vast majority of the protein we eat. Since I want to retire in a remote place away from any fine dining restaurants, it is a skill you could use literally every day to make life much better. I'm not picky at all, but the difference between decent vs great food is huge, imo.

I have also thought it would be smart in retirement to work as a deck hand for a fishing or hunting guide for a few months, especially if you choose to retire in a new place. You would learn a ton about the hunting or fishing in the area that would otherwise potentially take you years and years to learn.

I also have an unrealistic dream to buy an old diesel trawler and cruise the worlds oceans for a couple years, so learning how to do basic repairs on diesel engines would be a worthwhile investment if I ever became serious about it. I readily admit this dream likely won't ever happen.

I still love to hunt and fish way too much to get any too ridiculously time consuming hobbies although I like learning new things that are functional and support my outdoors passion. My real goal is to semi-retire in my early 40s and spend the vast majority of my days outside hunting or fishing.
LRHF
AG
Started tying flys about 8 months ago despite not really having time now. Have had success tying trout and Bass flys and starting to develop basic skills while gathering necessary tools and materials. Definitely not a hobby to save money but tremendous satisfaction researching, tying then fishing with flys I have tied. Could help with my 2nd career as a fly fishing guide if I survive career #1.
schmellba99
AG
Welding - get a decent MIG welder and you can probably learn enough by watching youtube to stick metal together fairly well. If not, find a local welding shop and talk to them - most of them are more than happy to pass on knowledge, and some may offer some private lessons after work for a fee of some sort. My neighbor owns a shop and he wants to start doing this at some point because he both loves welding and feels a need to pass on knowledge to the younger generation.

Machining - I bought a metal lathe a while back and love to play on it when I can. It's not cheap, and takes a lot of patience and knowing yo uare going to eff something up while learning, but it's something I love to do. Hell, learning any type of skilled trade really is for me, even if I know I'm never going to be more than decent at it.

Reloading, bullet casting, etc. Great hobby, relaxing and an excuse to test out your work.

Blacksmithing - what my next venture will likely be. Working with metal is fun, it's an excuse to buy new tools and learn something I deem useful. You'd be surprised at how many things you find to do or make or fix when you have desire and tools to do it.

Woodworking - agrams's posts just make me jealous. I'm probably going to have him make me a couple of simple things as well. I'd kill to have his setup and skills. I could eventually get the setup part done, but I'll never have the skills. Still, there's something satisfying about being able to make or fix something yourself.

Gardening - would love to have the time, but i likely never will. The idea of being able to eliminate a lot of my grocery store expenses is appealing to me.

Pretty much you need to find something that piques and holds your interest that you can enjoy doing. Doesn't really have to be useful or anything of that nature - but it needs to be something you will never view as "work" and will always view as "fun". That's the key. Doesn't have to be one thing either, can be a lot of things.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.