Outdoors
Sponsored by

Feeding bass in stock tank?

5,267 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by B-1 83
FabricatorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just posted about ducks in a stock tank too. But same tank as the other thread. We've been putting a bunch of 2 and 3 lbs and one or two four pounders in this tank. It's fun now to go out with a top water and consistently catch fish. We put 1000 jumbo minnows two years ago and have thrown perch in as well. No catfish. The tank has no real cover for the bait fish, which is good and bad. When you walk over to the shallower end you still see good amounts of minnows. My dad wants to start feeding the fish, but he's curious will it make the bass not bite or be as active when we fish? Is there a good brand to feed fish other catfish really?
SharkinAg
AG
My bass don't eat catfish feed. That being said, you can buy pellet trained bass. I'm your case I would spend money on adult bluegill. If you can keep their numbers up you will be good. I have to add about two hundred every three or four years. Right now I've got a water clarity issue I need to deal with.
rather be fishing
AG
Bass eat live fish. I'm not going to say they won't eat pellets, but that's just not their nature.

You catch catfish on rotting bait and bass on lures that imitate live creatures.
Sean98
AG
Adult bluegill and/or redear sunfish and then add some structure to the pond to provide some protection for young fish. that is a better solution than pellets.
YellowPot_97
AG

www.lochowranch.com

Contact these guys. No one better in the business. Run by a bunch of good Ags. Based outta Bryan and cover the whole state.
BuddysBud
AG
Since the bass were not trained to feed on pellets the most likely would not eat the fish food.
reveille23
how are you transporting these larger bass to your tank? Been wanting to do this but don't want to harm the fish in transport
Mr. Nobody
the feed probably won't change your ability to catch fish much at all. If it does anything it may just change where they are.

Bass that have not been pellet trained will likely not eat the feed. We put pellet trained F1 bass in our pond, and we still catch the pellet trained bass (you can tell the difference in a "trained" bass and an untrained) with no noticeable difference vs. our untrained bass. The trained bass can actually be caught on demand in front of our feeder by putting a piece of Aquamax Largemouth (it's a 1/2" to 3/4" pellet) on a hook in front of the feeder.

Bluegill/Bass really do better on a different feed than catfish, and we use Aquamax 600 (what our coop carries).

The feeding will do wonders for your bluegill fishing though. When our sunfish are bedding about 1/3 fish will be around a pound with fish up to almost 2 pounds. Our pond is only 4 years old, and I've never caught bluegill like that in a lake. Female run of the mill fish are all like males on beds in "good" bluegill lakes (like Conroe).
FabricatorAg
reveille23 said:

how are you transporting these larger bass to your tank? Been wanting to do this but don't want to harm the fish in transport

Like I said before the larger tank is only about 30' away from our tank, so typically I fish that end of the pond, I catch them walk, walk 20' and release in my pond.
jakeaggie84
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

www.lochowranch.com

Contact these guys. No one better in the business. Run by a bunch of good Ags. Based outta Bryan and cover the whole state.

Aby idea on aprox cost to design and dig a 1acre tank?? Wanting to add a second on our land.
B-1 83
AG
The best bass "pond" (close to 5 acres) I've ever fished had their bluegill on feed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.