Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help Me Pick a Travel Trailer

9,101 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Southside AG
JeepWaveEarl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're looking for new or pre-owned but considering working with a dealership a good friend runs one outside of Houston and has pretty good deals. Tim at 936-355-0588 and tell him Kourtney gave you his number (nothing in it for me, but, I trust him, he's honest (my #1), he is helpful (was helping someone new he'd sold one too at 9pm on Friday night via phone),so I thought I'd throw that out there).

http://www.tsrvs.com/

By simple looking they have 10 in your price range..like this one: http://www.tsrvs.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2443642&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fAmtRange=10-20&fr=xNewInventory&fr=xNewInventory
easttexasaggie04
AG
^
those look like good deals.

I'm in the same market as the OP. However I'm waiting until my youngest daughter is another year older before I start looking. I think I'll also want to upgrade my F-150 to a super duty when the time comes.
mAgnoliAg
AG
My parents just bought this one for less than $24,000 brand new :

http://www.exploreusa.com/product/new-2017-heartland-prowler-lynx-32-lx-677669-29

Boat show special, but it's not much more than that some places I think.
Mission Velveta
Southside AG said:

I really like the highland ridge. I will be pulling it with a 2016 Tahoe with the max tow package and 3.42 axle ratio. Combined weight max is 14,000 and towing capacity is 8600. This trailer may be pushing those limits. I want to be able to comfortable go anywhere with this thing. Could some of you experienced at towing weigh in on your thoughts. Is that too much trailer for my Tahoe.

I really appreciate your insight.
Honestly, the weight isn't what bothers me about that trailer even though it is pushing your limits of that tahoe. It is the length. That Tahoe is going to be thrown all over the road with a 28 ft trailer behind it. It will not be pleasant. That isn't to say it won't get the job done.

Like I said, I pull a 32 ft travel trailer with a diesel Super Duty and occasionally on a windy day or in the mountains it gets pushed around a little. That's with a weight distribution hitch with sway control, brake controller, and engine brake. I can't imagine what it would be like with a Tahoe.
Bob_Ag
AG
Lock out overdrive gears, even with tow haul mode. Remember it's a gas motor, you want the engine to rev to stay near your torque curve. Your transmission will thank you as well.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I'd let Tim Price anything before you buy. Small town dealership so they can give on margin.
Southside AG
AG
Okay, safety is critical. Would you think a Tahoe can pull this? Again, I have the max toe package capable of up to 8600 lbs. https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2017/ultra-lite/travel-trailers/UT2504BH

It's the same floor plan but without a couch so it takes some length out.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Reloadags1998
AG
2016 Chevy Tow Guide According to the link that opens a pdf, you should be fine with a 2016 Tahoe with Max Tow Package.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Southside AG said:

Okay, safety is critical. Would you think a Tahoe can pull this? Again, I have the max toe package capable of up to 8600 lbs. https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2017/ultra-lite/travel-trailers/UT2504BH

It's the same floor plan but without a couch so it takes some length out.

Your feedback is appreciated.

The one I linked in my previous post is a 32 and 7800 lbs and we pulled it just fine with my moms 2014 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. We got a good equalizer hitch which you will probably need no matter what along with the brake controller. I think you will be fine as long as you get the hitch and brake controller
Reloadags1998
AG
Btw, my next door neighbor David is a sales agent for RV Station in Cleveland, which is where I am buying mine. They carry a number of the Highland Ridge models on the lot. Let me know you want his number. He did a great job pricing mine out.
Southside AG
AG
I want to be able to go anywhere with this trailer and the more I read the more I believe I may be better off with a shorter setup. Our favorite model is 28 ft but it's not worth white knuckling down the freeway.
FIDO*98*
AG
Here's the Reese Sway Control weight distributing hitch I'd recommend*. It uses Cams rather than friction plates. With this type of hitch and a quality brake controller, I think you're in good shape with that trailer.

*Check with your RV dealer which version is the appropriate tongue weight
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Mission Velveta said:

Am I the only one who bought a 32 foot bunkhouse travel trailer and instantly wanted something smaller? With me, unless there is bad weather, we are always outside. The pain in the ass that a trailer that size is to pull, even with a diesel Super Duty, makes whatever size gains we got not worth it.

I plan on downsizing in the next couple years or buying a 5th wheel at minimum if we stay that size. I couldn't imagine pulling a 32 foot travel trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup. Even with the very best sway and weight distribution setup. That would be extremely unpleasant to pull around small towns or state parks or other cramped roadway situations. Not to mention a windy mountain pass. To each their own though.
We started a few years ago with a 27' bumper pull trailer with 1 slide as our first RV. Didn't want to go bigger (costlier) in case we decided it wasn't for us or we just didn't go enough to justify. But after 3 years, we got tired over stepping on/over our dogs, not having a dinette/table and not really enough room to take grandkids with us for any length of time. We traded up to a 35' (ultra-lite) bumper pull with 2 slides which made a tremendous difference in living space although the bedroom and bathroom are virtually identical to what we started with. Now we have plenty of room in the living area, sleeping room for 5 adults or 4 adults plus 2 kids (without bunks) and we are still pulling it with my wife's Tahoe (max 8500 towing capacity). We have the weight distributing anti-sway setup and I installed air bags inside the coil springs of the Tahoe to offset the tongue weight of the trailer. It's fine on level ground as long as it's not too windy. I wouldn't take it into any serious mountains but we've pulled through the Hill Country and Davis Mountains without any issues. Maneuverability can be an issue in tight spaces as you mentioned but haven't had any big issues so far. You do have to have to be more conscious of that issue before you pull in to gas up, eat at a restaurant or whatever with the trailer in tow.

When we retire in 5 years or so, we'll be trading for a 5th wheel for several reasons and will likely be fulltime RV'ers for a while. The Tahoe will be replaced by a truck (F-250 most likely) within the next year.
Southside AG
AG
Here is the latest one we like. I just wish the price was closer to $20k. It has what we want except the outdoor kitchen. http://rv.campingworld.com/searchresults?rv_type=towable&condition=new_used&subtype=HTT,TT,TTH&custompricerange=true&make=DUTCHMEN&brand=AEROLITE&sort=featured_asc&zipsearch=true&search_mode=advanced&locations=KAT

Also, we saw a Lance trailer that was great but sold for $40k. If not for the price we would buy it.
http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2185/
Southside AG
AG
I think I'm going with the 32ft (28ft box) highland ridge. The dealer has offered to throw in this hitch and sway control system for around $25k. http://www.equalizerhitch.com. The Tahoe has the power, but the length, I'm on the fence with.
Southside AG
AG
I pulled the trigger. Very pleased. It drove well from Fort Worth to Houston.

Reloadags1998
AG
Awesome, congrats!!!!
phoenix491
AG
Very nice! Congrats ... One thing to make sure of, if you're new to towing -- try and dial in your WD hitch to ensure the trailer is as close to level as possible. This might take some tinkering or even the help of a trailer service place, but it will increase your safety and reduce the white-knuckle factor.

When I took the plunge about 10 years ago and bought a 20' trailer, I hitched it up and found a flat, empty parking lot to make my adjustments and check it out from all angles. It was time well-spent ... Now, I'm off to go hitch up and head out for some weekend camping with the family.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
phoenix491 said:

Very nice! Congrats ... One thing to make sure of, if you're new to towing -- try and dial in your WD hitch to ensure the trailer is as close to level as possible. This might take some tinkering or even the help of a trailer service place, but it will increase your safety and reduce the white-knuckle factor.

When I took the plunge about 10 years ago and bought a 20' trailer, I hitched it up and found a flat, empty parking lot to make my adjustments and check it out from all angles. It was time well-spent ... Now, I'm off to go hitch up and head out for some weekend camping with the family.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture. The dealer didn't do a very good job of setting that up.
Southside AG
AG
It's level. The parking lot where we took the photo wasn't level. It's been a nice weekend to camp.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.