Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help Me Pick a Travel Trailer

9,071 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Southside AG
Southside AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your experiences after buying? Any lessons learned? 8 and 5 year old kids. Bunks vs indoor living space?

I would like:
One queen bed
Bunk bed set
Dinette and sofa
Outdoor kitchen preferred
Under $20k
Newer rather than older
Can pull up to 8600 lbs but prefer to be in the 7600 or less range.
I live in Houston
OldCamp
Interested as well
jtp01
AG
However big you think you need add 50%. My boys are 6-8 and it gets cramped when you are waiting out a rain shower or cooking during bad weather.

We make it work, but it's not as much fun as it could be.

Some of the newer "toy hauler" types have beds in the "garage ". This is what our next camper will be so we can contain them and their friends.
FIDO*98*
AG
Here is our floor plan which is much like you were looking for

If I could modify it to be exactly what I wanted, I would add a second slide in the kitchen so the living area is wider. I would have the bathroom extended and larger and sacrifice the two extra bunks. Finally I would like a third closet slide in the master bedroom. I've only seen one trailer that is exactly like that, but, I can't remember which one. Unfortunately I was buying used as well and had to settle for what we have and our budget was 20K as well (paid 19K for a used 2016 in early 2016). It may not have exactly everything we want, but, we just spent six nights in Big Bend with our 10&13yo boys and it was perfectly fine. We've also used it as a beach house in Port A for week long summer trips and have no complaints.

My advice with the kids is to definitely get the bunks. Having to fold up the couch and set up the table every morning would get old quick. Plus everyone has some privacy.
BurnetAggie99
I have a 2013 Keystone Passport Grand Touring Ultra Lite for Sale that's in that price range private treaty. It's currently listed at 21,300 OBO. It's been our family trailer for a few summer trips each year. I'm in the Burnet/Marble Falls area and your welcome to come look at it. I can also send you pics when I get back from Houston steer show. I need to graduate up to a 5th wheel so that's why it's for sale. It's been serviced and maintained every year and actually still has a transferrable extended warranty.

Here's a video on the trailer going over the exact the trailer expect I've installed a electric jack and mine has laminate hard wood flooring.

FIDO*98*
AG
^^^^^^
That's a really nice floor plan that reminded my of the other thing I'd be looking for which is an outside door to the restroom. You would enjoy that trailer

*meant to hit the thumbs up emoji
BrazosDog02
AG
It depends on how you use it too. I have a 26 ft trailer with no slides and it weighs about 5k lbs. Sleeps 8, so it says...We've done 5 comfortably. It has a dinette, bunks for the kids and a full size bed for us. Also has a shower, toilet and lavatory. One slide would be nice but it's extra weight and not necessary. If you are the kind of camper that pulls up to the campground and lives in your RV then this wouldn't be your best choice. I Havnt use the stove ever and there is no TV installed. We are outdoorsy and spend our time outside hiking, around the fire, biking, fishing. We use the trailer pretty much for sleeping and taking hot showers. It's got power everything and dual propane tanks. It's perfect for the way we operate with two kids. Figure out how you will use it and pair that to what you want and you'll end up in the right one.
Reloadags1998
AG
I like the Highland Ridge RVs. We saw a number of them in February at the Houston RV show and liked the one linked a lot. You may be able to look around for cheaper to fit the budget, but this is pretty close.

Just FYI, I ended up ditching the Travel Trailer idea and ordered a 5th wheel instead due to size and amenities. Should be here in 4 weeks or so.

www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Wilder-RV-2650110/listing/2016-Highland-Ridge-Open-Range-Ultra-Lite-2704BH-121122698

edit: wrong emotion. Should be a smile
MikesFamousJava
AG
I had a Forest River Surveyor that met your criteria. Had 3 bunks in back bedroom...2 on one side and 1 on the other, over the outdoor kitchen. I sold it last year due to the fact that we we unable to use it more than a few times per year due to increasing kids activities, but we loved it and miss having it.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Oh, and definitely buy used. You'll save a lot of money if you are patient and buy one that is a couple of years old.
Ag In Ok
AG
Wife and I are interested as well but would prefer to rent one first. Not for me so much as her to get a feel for what she wants vs needs. Are dealers willing to rent?
InMyOpinion
We had ours for about 7 years. We used it for camping and as a hotel replacement on some vacations.

If you've never owned one I would recommend renting a couple times if you can rent ones with floor plans you are most interested in. Getting a couple full weekends as a trial run is valuable and not as costly as buying and trading in a year or two later to get what you want.
AUAg92
AG
I've got all that but the bunks & priced a little higher than you noted.
It's a Forest River Heritage Glen 282RK, 35ft sleeper sofa hide-a-bed. 2015. Asking $23. I'm in Houston. PM me with your email & I can send you pics if interested. Sleeps 6. Great trailer for my GF & me last 2 1/2 yrs.

BrazosDog02
AG
At 28', I'd be looking at 5th wheel. They tow and maneuver so much better.
ag-guy
AG
We have had a Venture SportTrek ST322VBH for the last 3 years and have been very pleased with it. It has it all and is light. Keep in mind, the bigger they are and lighter they are the more they are going to wander when it's windy.

Texas 1836
AG
not to hijack, but for these types of trailers, what are your thoughts on anti sway bars and weight distribution hitches?
Joe Exotic
AG
Any consideration of a popup? We started with a 23 foot trailer then 26 and finally a 32 with double slides, bunk rooms, all the bells and whistles, etc. About three years ago we ditched it and went the popup route. Way more fun, easier to pull, kids love it just as much and much easier to store at home.
FIDO*98*
AG
Texas 1836 said:

not to hijack, but for these types of trailers, what are your thoughts on anti sway bars and weight distribution hitches?

Absolute requirement if towing with a half ton. Weight distribution is enough with a 3/4 ton.
BrazosDog02
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Worth repeating.....ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED. Half ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton....all of them.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I bought a 2013 Palomino Puma 30FBSS. Paid $17k. I wanted everything you listed above and this camper was the perfect fit. The bunkhouse has a door that closes that makes late nights at the deer lease perfect. Also the main bed has a sliding door for privacy as well. We use the hell out of the outdoor kitchen. The fridge is money for quick access to some adult beverages. Double slide it is key.

Mission Velveta
Am I the only one who bought a 32 foot bunkhouse travel trailer and instantly wanted something smaller? With me, unless there is bad weather, we are always outside. The pain in the ass that a trailer that size is to pull, even with a diesel Super Duty, makes whatever size gains we got not worth it.

I plan on downsizing in the next couple years or buying a 5th wheel at minimum if we stay that size. I couldn't imagine pulling a 32 foot travel trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup. Even with the very best sway and weight distribution setup. That would be extremely unpleasant to pull around small towns or state parks or other cramped roadway situations. Not to mention a windy mountain pass. To each their own though.
Southside AG
AG
This is what we like so far. Help me find the flaws. We will spend some time indoors, especially if it's a big football weekend and this looks like a great setup.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2017/ultra-lite/travel-trailers/UT2802BH
Southside AG
AG
We did think about pop ups. Some of the newer ones are as much as trailers. We looked at one yesterday that was $16,000.

We used to camp in those with the in-laws. I want more room with growing kids. Also, I like to kick back and lounge myself. Sometimes that's better indoors in Texas. If we don't find what we want in a trailer, than a used pop up might work.
Southside AG
AG
We looked at renting but can't justify paying over $1000 for a weekend to do so. I'd rather put that towards a purchase.
FIDO*98*
AG
Southside AG said:

This is what we like so far. Help me find the flaws.

Did your budget get bigger? The Highland Ridge RVs are my favorites across all lines and we also like the Forest River Rockwood series. Here is the Rockwood version of that same layout with the additional master bedroom closet slide. Between these two that master closet would be the difference maker for me.
Southside AG
AG
Preferred under $20 but could go a little over. Also, the rock wood is nice but it's heavier and would push the limits too much.

Reloadags1998
AG
Southside AG said:

This is what we like so far. Help me find the flaws. We will spend some time indoors, especially if it's a big football weekend and this looks like a great setup.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2017/ultra-lite/travel-trailers/UT2802BH

We walked that one at the RV show but I thought that would be out of your budget. That floor plan is a new one for Highland Ridge. There may be manufactures that have a similar plan that you can find used but I really like Highland Ridge. I really like how the placment of the door gives the trailer a totaly different feel inside.
DuckDown2013
AG
Bunkhouse or gtfo! Especially with 2 kids.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I agree with the layout but the bunk house set up kinda sucks. The curtain as a wall was a huge negative for me and that's why I went with the Puma instead. The dedicated 3 bunks with a closed door hasn't been the best thing about our camper so far.
Reloadags1998
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

I agree with the layout but the bunk house set up kinda sucks. The curtain as a wall was a huge negative for me and that's why I went with the Puma instead. The dedicated 3 bunks with a closed door hasn't been the best thing about our camper so far.
Totally agree about the door. I was looking for ones that fit his requirements and basic utility. The Puma seems to be heavier than he is wanting. For me, none of the travel trailers where an "upgrade" over the Class C motor home we have now and If I'm changing RVS, we decided it need to be an upgrade so we ordered this one.
https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2017/mesa-ridge/fifth-wheels/MF374BHS

We ordered a new truck too

Southside AG
AG
I really like the highland ridge. I will be pulling it with a 2016 Tahoe with the max tow package and 3.42 axle ratio. Combined weight max is 14,000 and towing capacity is 8600. This trailer may be pushing those limits. I want to be able to comfortable go anywhere with this thing. Could some of you experienced at towing weigh in on your thoughts. Is that too much trailer for my Tahoe.

I really appreciate your insight.
FIDO*98*
AG
How comfortable are you driving 60-65 on a 75mph road? What size gas tank do you have? You can probably expect 7-8 mpg normally and maybe op to 9 with a tail wind.

Towing my trailer with my Tundra or my Wife's old Tahoe was never a pleasant experience for me. You either go slow and get blown around by Semi trucks blowing by or you go fast, suck even more gas, and get blown around by the wind. I saw a bumper pull and a half ton jackknifed on its side just south of Junction on our way back from Big Bend. Weight distribution hitch with built in sway control, sway bar on tow vehicle, and trailer brake controller are all necessary IMO with that as your tow vehicle

Here's my most recent thoughts on the Automotive forum. Do a search and you'll find some of my ranting on why I upgraded to a Super Duty. Plenty of people tow with a Half Ton or full size SUV and do just fine though.
Cen-Tex
AG
MikesFamousJava said:

Oh, and definitely buy used. You'll save a lot of money if you are patient and buy one that is a couple of years old.
Like Java stated on buying used. An RV that is 1-2 yrs old will have most of the bugs worked out of them. I would however, check/replace the tires. Most RV tires are cheap and made in China. If one blows, the steel belting normally does a lot of damage to the floor, fenders, siding, etc., before you can come to a stop. I'd also change out the commode seat and mattress if I bought a used one.
D&C 2002
AG
My experience - if you have 8,600 in towing capacity, I would stay under 6,000 fully loaded. Also, pulling a travel trailer with a half ton vehicle is work. It's definitely doable but I did not find it comfortable. People pull travel trailers all the time with half ton vehicles so don't be discouraged, I just didn't enjoy it. A few things that I found that made towing our 18' Forest River Palomino with a half ton much more pleasant:
  • Weight distribution, anti sway hitch/bars - this is a must have
  • Air bags on the rear suspension. $300-$500 installed and they make a world of difference.
  • Drive 65 mph or less. This is a hard one for me
Plan to stop for gas every 2-3 hours and don't be surprised if you only get 6-8 mph. We spend a lot of time outside but really enjoy having a nice place to sit and work/watch tv. I cook most of our meals outside using a 2 burner propane stove I got from academy. Wish I had the outdoor kitchen but mostly for the sink. I think we both wish we had gone with a bigger trailer to start with but we wanted to try pulling it with the 1/2 ton. Now that I've upgrade the tow vehicle to a 3/4 ton we are looking at bigger trailers.
Max Power
AG
Most of the important points have been hit.

-If you've never towed a travel trailer or owned one, definitely rent a couple of times first. Preferably different configurations to see what you like.
-You planning on mainly going to campgrounds or elsewhere? This matters for the sake of having a generator, water tank size, etc.
-I disagree with buying more than you think you need. I think its better to stay conservative and if it's cramped then people stay outside rather than inside the trailer, especially if you have kids you're getting out of the house.
-Definitely keep an eye out for a used one once you know what you want. People buy them all the time and really don't use them or care to maintain them.
-If you buy used then make sure you really take your time inspecting it. Lots of people don't maintain the roof of them and a small hole leads to a big leak and big water damage, which your insurance won't cover.
-Do you have a place to store it?
-Figure out how often you will use it annually, realistically. Could just be a waste of money.
-If you are set on buying one, I think the best route is to get something basic and use it for a couple of years and if you are definitely going to continue then buy something better to replace it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.