Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Law Shield? Yes or No?

33,394 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
Old Sarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OB?
CTGilley
AG
And if not Who?
powerbelly
AG
No.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I need to save this....

I am probably one of the few in my business that don't feel hard set one way or another on it.

Pros:
Fairly inexpensive
They'll make you an NFA trust as part of their product
You can contact them about law questions

Cons:
Guaranteed protection only up through grand jury. If you go to trial, they can decide not to cover you.
You have no idea who you will have defending you.
They people who sell it tend to use scare tactics to get you to sign up.
The gun stores that push it get a kickback from them to sign people up.

I do not let them into my store and CHL classes. They, and other companies, keep trying to get into our store. I absolutely disagree with their practices and will not allow them into my classes for that reason.

At the end of the day, it's more of a discussion on how much you have in the way of assets. If you don't have much yet, then it makes more sense to do legal shield. For me, I now have the store and want to protect that as best as possible, as such, I have two lawyers that I have a relation with in case something goes south.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
If anyone wants, I can ask my defense attorney friends in Houston and Austin for who they recommend- the Houston fellow, Mike Stoll, is an Ag and a shooter, but I don't think he does the kind of cases that would result from CCW
CTGilley
AG
That would be great. Thank you. I am in BCS is that matters.
Alte Schule
I live in Brazos County. Just my opinion here. Find a local lawyer. Someone that knows his way around the county courthouse and District Attorneys office and has had a practice for awhile. if you ever get charged with a criminal complaint involving a firearm or anything else it would serve your best interest to have an attorney that knows the Judge, JP, magistrate or DA. Someone you can call locally if needed.
Luckily I have had such an attorney for 30 + years. Never needed him for anything other than making a will and some legal advice. If your just looking for peace of mind spend the $$ for 15 minutes, 1/2 hour for a local attorneys time.
GottaRide
S
This is what I did when in this situation. I called the best defense attorney in the area. He had been an Asst. DA for many years in that county. He was also a friend. Although there was no doubt that I was in the right, having him as my advocate was a huge comfort.
Hoss
AG
To piggyback on this, does anyone know how Texas Law Shield compares to USCCA?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/offers/5890b0827386f/join-the-uscca-today

My dad is signed up with USCCA and keeps trying to get me to sign up. I'm not sure what the differences are.
GottaRide
S
Btw, I would love to be in a position where people paid me a monthly fee for a chance of less than one in thousands that I would ever have to work for it.
Old Sarge
AG
Thought sell was a little hard. Have a cousin that is/was a CD attourney. Will check with him. Not local though.
Premium
AG
Always picture the eye guy as the Tremors movie...

txyaloo
AG
TLS currently is in the middle of a class action suit due to their sales tactics.

https://www.law360.com/articles/484996/handgun-students-slap-texas-attys-with-solicitation-suit
jeffag02
Go with USCCA.
mts6175
AG
TLS is crap. I signed up in my CHL class with the same questions everyone else has wondering if it was worth it. Well, they answered my questions for me when they just dropped me out of the blue with zero notification. I have good credit, paid for it, and zero criminal background.

It's a money grab, pure and simple, and I hope Crowley takes them to the cleaners.
jeffag02
TLS is also a legal services company. Not actual insurance.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Nope.

They could be OJ's defense team level good and I still wouldn't want anything to do with them because of their BS sales tactics/kickback scheme to those who push for them.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Premium said:

Always picture the eye guy as the Tremors movie...

Believe me when I say this... Not the first time that I have been accused of turning into him. Though I will say this: when I am the age of his character, i fully plan to make his collection look paltry.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh and when i started describing my ps90 to my dad, he called me Marvin the Martian. I actually really liked that one.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I recently took the LTC course at Frisco Gun Club and they had about a 45minute pushy sales talk about a similar offering (can't even remember the name of it). It was so pushy that the trainer almost made it sound like it was a requirement that people fill out the forms to pass the class. It really annoyed the piss out of me. Needless to say, I didn't sign up and that was just because of the ridiculousness of the hard sell.
PMD03
AG
The only prepaid legal you need:

Old Sarge
AG
For the record, my instructor did not "push" them. Just let them have a moment, that lasted about 10 minutes total. The literature was available, but not forced. The instructor did say they were good for phone call reference on new regs. Pretty much it though.

See my other thread on taking the CHL/LTC today for some other info.
The Original AG 76
AG
Any lawyer worth his salt will tell you that this crap and any of the pre-paid legal plans are a complete waste of money. Unless you engage is very risky activities you should be able to live your life without ever being even remotely a participant in the legal system , other than divorce or probate.
A CHL holder has a greater chance of being attacked by a gator on the golf course or a shark at the beach than ever pulling his gun in a threatened situation. IF you are one of the 1 in a gazzilion that does use his weapon you better hire a real lawyer in the locale you are in vs washed up 2-bit ambulance chasers that these scam outfits employ.
Save your money for quality range time!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.