Outdoors
Sponsored by

SKS or AK47

5,024 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 26.2
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to buy a "new" gun.... Already have an AK but couldn't build it the way I wanted.
FIDO*98*
AG
AR-10
AGGies0311
Already have one
AgySkeet06
AG
It depends what you really want to do with a new gun.

My brother has an SKS he has done some custom mods to. It looks ok but really too long of a gun for my taste. An SKS with a bull pup stock might be better. If i was just looking to build a gun range queen an SKS would be fine.

I'd rather have the AK built to my liking...

Just my $.02
AGGies0311
Where would I find a cheap AK? The site that bought my first one from is no longer up.
xMusashix
AG
What did you not like about your AK build?

I would consider a VZ58 or even an RPK if you are looking at staying in the 7.62x39 caliber.
AgEng06
AG
Go back in time 10 years...
AGGies0311
My buddy put a Keymod rail system on it. I want a shorter rail with a picatinny rail
BenderRodriguez
AG
You're going to need to describe what you want to do to/with the AK or SKS first. They're not as plug and play as ARs so how you want it set up factors heavily into what base gun you need to start with.
AGGies0311
(img)
DrEvazanPhD
SKS are cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. AK's are the same, minus the cheap. You're not going to be able to put 6 shots under a quarter at 200 yards with either, but they're accurate enough to kill a pig. I've got a few SKS that i've modifed and had a lot of fun with. If you get one that's carbine length, the barrel length isn't a bad issue at all.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
isnt there a SKS variant that takes AK mag. not an aftermarket mod but a type of SKS?
AgEng08
AG
paratrooper sks ftw?
CS78
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

isnt there a SKS variant that takes AK mag. not an aftermarket mod but a type of SKS?
SKS-M or SKS-D. Have owned and while cool, swapping mags is not quite as easy/ fast as an AK. Chinese mags work a little better and filing the outside edge of the mag locking lug helps some too.
airboatag
I like building so I would say build an AK
2/7Marine0311 said:

Where would I find a cheap AK? The site that bought my first one from is no longer up.

Cheapest AK that won't explode after 2000 rounds would be between a WASR-10, an NPAP, or a PSAK. So far, I have really enjoyed mine from PSA. They are now selling them where you can assemble from a kit. The receiver portion goes in and out of stock periodically as they are able to make them. And they got great reviews from Robski.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-build-kits-barreled-receivers.html
maverick2076
AMD-65 is a good AK, and you can still find them for about $500. they are Hungarian, so some "standard" AK parts won't fit because of the gas tube.
Hungary. And I always forget about the AMD because I don't like the forward grip. But it is definitely another good cheap AK.
maverick2076
That's what I meant. MFT makes a great replacement hand guard that fits them and makes them look much more like a typical AK.
SWCBonfire
AG
You may be able to find a VZ-2008 for sale for $600. I would do that long before I paid $500 for an AK that wasn't top notch.

Note: this is a variant of a VZ-58 and is NOT an AK, but a well made, machined aluminum weapon with funky wood plastic furniture thrown in for good measure. AK mags don't fit, nor anything else AK, even though they look similar.
BenderRodriguez
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

(img)

Have you handled one set up like this?

They're very front heavy.

My only AK left is set up similarly with a MI rail and a red dot. It handles like crap.

SWCBonfire
AG
At some point soon (if not now), an AR in 300 blackout or 6.5/6.8 will be a cost-effective alternative to a commie bloc weapon.

Seems like an opportunity to make an updated/modernized weapon that would shoot 7.62x39 reliably and use cheap AK mags.
AgySkeet06
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Seems like an opportunity to make an updated/modernized weapon that would shoot 7.62x39 reliably and use cheap AK mags.
Here you go
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=696&CFID=597760973&CFTOKEN=58097030
SWCBonfire
AG
Well, an AK replacement probably shouldn't cost over twice as much as an AK.

I should have stipulated a non-AR based version that was chrome lined to shoot bad steel cased ammo and you have to clean every millenia or so.
maverick2076
PSA has the KS47, which is probably $700 or so. Basically an AR that takes AK mags.
aggieforester05
AG
How much do those barreled receivers run when they're not out of stock?
Puryear Playboy
AG
OP, what you seek is an RPK.

You won't be disappointed. Thank me later.
xMusashix
AG
Puryear,

What do you like about the RPK? I am going to build a RPK this year, but it was more on the suggestion of a buddy than doing research.

Also, while green mountain shows out of stock on their heavy finned RPK barrels, I was able to order one. I called to inquire when they would be back in stock, they said they pulled them from their website since they didn't want to oversell. They might have 1 left if the OP is thinking RPK.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Just too much fun. Mag fed on a bipod with a barrel that can take the heat.

Mine are C zone accurate at 600 yards. No recoil due to the weight, but you could still use one as a standard type rifle if needed. I wouldnt want one as an entry gun...but you can have a great time on pigs in the open with one.

TheCougarHunter
AG
If you get an SKS please for the love of God leave it as it is and don't bubba it

If I could only have one 7.62x39 I'd take my Vz2008.

If you really want an AK get one in 5.45x39.
aggieforester05
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

I'd really like to have one in that caliber!
CactusThomas
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

If you get an SKS please for the love of God leave it as it is and don't bubba it

If I could only have one 7.62x39 I'd take my Vz2008.

And don't put all that rail crap on an AK either.
$399

$379 for blemished ones
AGGies0311
Here is my current AK, I don't like the grip and it is very front heavy

CS78
2/7Marine0311 said:

Here is my current AK, I don't like the grip and it is very front heavy

Replace back grip with a Hogue, ditch the angled front grip, replace the big AMD brake with a simple muzzlenut, remove the rail just behind the front site. Much better handling gun for $25.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.