Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lone Star Law - 2017

9,773 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FIDO 96
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why haven't I seen a thread on this yet?

I just stumbled across it on my DVR and thought about how many OBers are guilty of shooting squirrels out of their neighbors yards/trees?

Another note:

Why is it often asians that overfish and never give a **** about bag limits? I've run across this in person multiple times.
txyaloo
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Why haven't I seen a thread on this yet?

I just stumbled across it on my DVR and thought about how many OBers are guilty of shooting squirrels out of their neighbors yards/trees?

Another note:

Why is it often asians that overfish and never give a **** about bag limits? I've run across this in person multiple times.
Did you notice the squirrel shooter was an Ag? Wonder if he posts on the OB...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Haha, I didn't! That's great.
ursusguy
AG
Just started watching the Lone Star Law. North Woods Law started out as a kick in the guts (good episode, but the last 30 minutes were rough).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Did they lose a warden?
ursusguy
AG
No, drowning recovery.
rgarza35
AG
Never trust a preacher who sells alligator hides!
FatZilla
AG
New series North Woods Law: New Hampshire on now as well. Great shows.
FSGuide
I laughed a little tonight when I saw them checking some fishing licenses in east TX. Dude thumped his cigarette butt into the edge of the water and the GW said "how bout you go ahead and grab that for me" and made him pick it up. I hate people that toss their cigarettes whereever they want.
FiTxAg04
AG
It amazes me how often I drive behind someone who brazenly tosses a cigarette butt out their window. Happens all the time. I started jotting down the details of the occurrences and reporting them on

http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/get-involved/report-a-litterer/

I know it probably doesn't do anything but get the owner of the vehicle a letter in the mail which, they probably throw out their window, but it makes me feel better.
jtp01
AG
In the Panhandle, tossing cigarettes out will start a huge fire. Especially this time of year with the dry conditions and high winds. They piss me off because they can quickly ruin someone's livelihood and don't care.
ratfacemcdougal
FSGuide said:

I laughed a little tonight when I saw them checking some fishing licenses in east TX. Dude thumped his cigarette butt into the edge of the water and the GW said "how bout you go ahead and grab that for me" and made him pick it up. I hate people that toss their cigarettes whereever they want.
Don't have the laughy face, but last night was the first time I watched. It was very funny watching the kid toss the butt without even thinking. He got to pick it up...plus got a ticket for littering. +1 for mr GW
buzzardb267
AG
We did USFS campground hosting for several year and that was a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I spent many hours picking those things up. I had some real red neck hell raisers in a CG in Oregon and they were out riding the sand dunes past check out and the new camper were parked and waiting. I managed to get an LEO out there and since she had ticketed them the night before for breaking curfew, when they returned, she was waiting for them. She told them they had 20 minutes to pack and vacate and for every butt, bottle cap and ring tab the camp host found after they left, she was going to mail them a ticket. Unfortunately, I only found two, but they will remember that trip.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I watched last week's episode on the DVR last night. Kinda cool to see GWs in areas I've frequented over the years (Llano, Tips Park in Three Rivers).
drred4
liked both new episodes. Nice seeing some other Wardens and encounters as well. I was laughing half the time at what idiots some people can be.

what a moron with the dude with the cigarette. I would have made him pick up all that trash at waters edge. Then the drunk lady on the boat that had a case of diarrhea of the mouth.

some good stuff to see what they deal with and in front of a camera too.
wadd96
AG
Why does 9 undersized fish and only 3 tickets piss me off? I don't know... for some reason I don't think that was the first time that guy had done that... but just finally get caught.

I've been checked by the GW 3 times in my life... once for a legal, tagged redfish, once for a plug while dove hunting (simply broke open my O/U and got nod) and once for a dove limit opening weekend at Nooners (Dad and I each had 15 birds bagged and tied off, guns broken down, and a cold beer in hand...) Never had a problem with a GW. But people that intentionally violate the law piss me off
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AgGunNut
AG
Cool seeing a former co-worker on this week's episode. He was the Dallas County warden who cited the preacher for the gators. Not the two that did the sting, but the one they called in who almost handcuffed the guy.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I agree and they should have received all violations.

I'm with you on game warden encounters... I havent run into a game warden that wasn't nice and friendly. Of course, I don't break any laws and am always kind and respectful to them, so that may have something to do with it.

The closest thing to a complaint happened with an aggie game warden... it didn't really bother me but my dad was pretty pissed she was going though our dove bags and throwing the birds on the ground in a pile to count and then would just move on to the next vehicle. Now there were probably 30 in our group so it was assembly line processing and I don't really blame her... I just think it could have been handled a little better.

She probably posts on this board...
ursusguy
AG
Ok, that mountain lion bit is 99% of all mountain lion investigations, including in rural areas. From the first track they showed on the phone, there was no doubt they were looking at canine tracks.

That was almost too stereotyped, but I can say they were legitimately talking to one of the local biologists. Guy's voice is pretty distinctive.
bdgol07
AG
That GW that took the lead in the road hunting case showed his expertise in playing the two jackasses to cooperating in telling him the truth.

Pretty nice to watch
duddleysdraw88
AG
I'll go out on a limb and guess the majority of Hunt Co. interactions will involve meth
Canyon99
duddleysdraw88 said:

I'll go out on a limb and guess the majority of Hunt Co. interactions will involve meth

jh0400
AG
I was glad to see the GW give a ticket for a single undersized flounder in Galveston. I wish they'd have done the same to the guy with the five undersize trout in the ULM. Also, that guy was a dumbass for fishing where he was in a kayak with no lights.
Unemployed
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Another note:

White people do it, too. You probably never noticed because they got same skin color as you.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Although my ethnicity is white, you wouldn't guess so based on my skin color...

Dont confuse my observation about some Asian fishermen with a lack of understanding that breaking the law and overfishing, is not exclusive to any demographic.

My point, at least now I intended it to be, was that I have been around several people fishing and while many of them break the law, the asians I see don't give a crap or do anything to hide the fact they're keeping undersized fish.

Not trying to be racist just noting an observation I have witnessed multiple times.
DDSO
Sean98
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Although my ethnicity is white, you wouldn't guess so based on my skin color...

Dont confuse my observation about some Asian fishermen with a lack of understanding that breaking the law and overfishing, is not exclusive to any demographic.

My point, at least now I intended it to be, was that I have been around several people fishing and while many of them break the law, the asians I see don't give a crap or do anything to hide the fact they're keeping undersized fish.

Not trying to be racist just noting an observation I have witnessed multiple times.
I have witnessed the same, particularly below the spillway at my local lake. I think it's a subsistence fishing thing and is cultural. Generally in my area they keep any/all fish, but most of the fish they keep too are 'rough fish.'

They are a very good home for my bowfishing kills however. Late spring/early Summer when I bowfish in that area I have a ready and willing source for disposing of my silver carp and smallmouth buffalo.
ursusguy
AG
Last couple posts jogged my memory on one of my favorite/unique game warden assists. TPWD has struggled with reaching various Asian demographics, partially because the various countries of orgin and practices are so different. The fishing issues are well known, but from an ecological standpoint, some of the stuff sold in Asian markets and even more specifically trader markets (Canton, Traders Village, etc) is scary as hell from an invasive species standpoint.

I would love to see an episode where they show the game wardens doing the inspection of an Asian supermarket. I went along to help ID things, and I ended up finding it EXTREMELY eye opening. And I mean that in a scary way. Lots of stuff being sourced out of backward water gardens (especially near Houston).

We'll just say there is a small, but very vocal lobby group in Austin.
Serious Lee
remember when i was a kid walking along the jetty at freeport and seeing a bunch of asians fishing with aluminum cans for a spool and using hot dogs as bait. my dad said it was a way to get around having to buy a fishing license. this was in the 80s and i havent seen or heard of it in a while so i assume they have revised the law?
ursusguy
AG
I called the biologist that I recognized the voice belonging to. It was a legit investigation and call to the biologist. That was not a rehearsed call, and he didn't know anything about it until a few minutes before it aired.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Nat Geo used to have a show where they followed Game Wardens in CA and a few episodes involved them doing surprise inspection of asian food markets in SF and LA. They were good episodes.
eric76
AG
I've learned more about what game wardens do watching that show.

I wonder how long before they do a show on other state agencies. A show on state health inspections of restaurants would be pretty interesting, at least for one season.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Would be interested in hearing about the specific things you saw and the risk associated with them propogating here, if you don't mind sharing.
ursusguy
AG
What specifically are you interested in? I was a TPWD wildlife biologist for 11.5 years. During that time I averaged about 10 mountain lion investigations a year. I never confirmed one any of my counties (why I always find it interesting when things pop up "TPWD confirmed a mountain lion around _______ in _______", oh really).

Considering Texas has a grant total of 4-5 relatively minor mountain lion related injuries, and all have been around Big Bend, I generally don't view them as that big a deal to human safety.
BQ_90
AG
Think he was asking what you saw in these Asian markets and trade shows.

The mountain lion stuff is just folk lore. Look no story is any good if it starts with "man you never guess what I saw on my property, I saw a yellow lab"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.